The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Terrified of second year

Most people I've spoken to are excited to go back, but I feel sick every time I think about second year.

I'm studying biochemistry and struggled so much to keep up last year. My first language isn't English, so I always had to record lectures and make notes on them afterwards (usually took about 2 hours per lecture). Now I'm hearing people tell me I can't get more than a 2:2 without reading outside of lectures and I really don't think I'll be able to remember everything for the exams. Especially because second year is supposed to be more content and more difficult anyway.

I know it seems really early to be thinking of exams, but I'm an international student on a scholarship and need to get a first, otherwise I'll have to pay everything back.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? Any advice on how to cope with second year would also be really helpful.
Reply 1
Original post by Small Town Girl
Most people I've spoken to are excited to go back, but I feel sick every time I think about second year.

I'm studying biochemistry and struggled so much to keep up last year. My first language isn't English, so I always had to record lectures and make notes on them afterwards (usually took about 2 hours per lecture). Now I'm hearing people tell me I can't get more than a 2:2 without reading outside of lectures and I really don't think I'll be able to remember everything for the exams. Especially because second year is supposed to be more content and more difficult anyway.

I know it seems really early to be thinking of exams, but I'm an international student on a scholarship and need to get a first, otherwise I'll have to pay everything back.

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation? Any advice on how to cope with second year would also be really helpful.

Hey there,
I'm in the same exact course as you at Imperial! I will be in second year too. Ah, I understand why you're feeling so nervous. Having a scholarship is both a blessing and somewhat a curse. If you don't mind me asking, but what average did you manage to get in first year. I don't understand how this scholarship thingy works as I'm not under one but I think if you managed at least a 2:1 in first year, you shouldn't worry too much and should just keep working hard. It's so stressful that you have to get a first! The most I could get is a 2:1!!!

I asked a few seniors around and they told me to just improve on your exam technique and keep up with your lectures as much as you can every single evening. However, you must take your time when making notes or studying. Keep it consistent. Have a read on the 2nd year handbook (2013-2014) and its courses. I read through it briefly already and there were quite a lot of recycled topics from our first year modules. Also, we absolutely do not need to read everything the lecturers recommend, just pick 1 or 2 scientific articles or textbooks and that should be sufficient. Keep calm and you'll be fine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by PPPLLL
Hey there,
I'm in the same exact course as you at Imperial! I will be in second year too. Ah, I understand why you're feeling so nervous. Having a scholarship is both a blessing and somewhat a curse. If you don't mind me asking, but what average did you manage to get in first year. I don't understand how this scholarship thingy works as I'm not under one but I think if you managed at least a 2:1 in first year, you shouldn't worry too much and should just keep working hard. It's so stressful that you have to get a first! The most I could get is a 2:1!!!

I asked a few seniors around and they told me to just improve on your exam technique and keep up with your lectures as much as you can every single evening. However, you must take your time when making notes or studying. Keep it consistent. Have a read on the 2nd year handbook (2013-2014) and its courses. I read through it briefly already and there were quite a lot of recycled topics from our first year modules. Also, we absolutely do not need to read everything the lecturers recommend, just pick 1 or 2 scientific articles or textbooks and that should be sufficient. Keep calm and you'll be fine :smile:

I managed to get 74 overall, but last year I focused entirely on lecture material so I'm worried about how much more there'll be to remember for next year's exams.

The uncertainty is making me really nervous because I don't know any seniors to ask. Do you know if the "1 or 2 scientific articles" part refers to per module? Or per set of related lectures?
Reply 3
I managed to get 74 overall, but last year I focused entirely on lecture material so I'm worried about how much more there'll be to remember for next year's exams.

The uncertainty is making me really nervous because I don't know any seniors to ask. Do you know if the "1 or 2 scientific articles" part refers to per module? Or per set of related lectures?

It refers to particular topics or lecture sets. I'm sorry but you really should not be terrified at all. I would understand if you got a 2:2 or even a 2:1 but you did so well. Were you this nervous before first year started? I understand its because of the scholarship. Be happy!!!! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be great!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I can understand why you are so nervous, however you have made a very good start so try not to worry too much.

Check out The Official 'How To Get A First Class Degree' thread. People who have achieved firsts in various subjects (including sciences) have posted all sorts of useful advice. Perhaps some of it will be useful to you.
Original post by PPPLLL
It refers to particular topics or lecture sets. I'm sorry but you really should not be terrified at all. I would understand if you got a 2:2 or even a 2:1 but you did so well. Were you this nervous before first year started? I understand its because of the scholarship. Be happy!!!! Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be great!

I wasn't this worried before first year, but that's mostly because I completely underestimated university. And I know it seems really silly to be worrying this much, I've tried reasoning with myself so many times but it's not working at all. I'm just stuck in a "I already had to work so hard for first year, how will I survive second, which is supposed to be so much worse?" mentality and I don't really know what to do about it.
Reply 6
I wasn't this worried before first year, but that's mostly because I completely underestimated university. And I know it seems really silly to be worrying this much, I've tried reasoning with myself so many times but it's not working at all. I'm just stuck in a "I already had to work so hard for first year, how will I survive second, which is supposed to be so much worse?" mentality and I don't really know what to do about it.

In some ways first year is harder because you have to adjust to a completely new environment and a completely new way of learning. You have to deal with living away from home, getting to know a new area and new people. All these factors may have contributed to how hard you found first year. The work will probably be harder in second year, but by this point you will have settled in more and will be used to the way things work.
Reply 7

Well, I can tell you this. Almost everyone in our course is worried about second year. Some are more worried than others. This applies to other students at other universities doing other courses. I'm quite a paranoid person and i'm **** scared about what's to come as well.

What you need to realise is that we finished first year at IMPERIAL unscathed and with pretty damn good results. So, come second year we just need to think about our end goals and work (and play) as hard as we can to achieve those goals. I will tell myself to DO THE WORK CONSISTENTLY AND INTELLIGENTLY to the best of my ability and whatever results I may get later on, I will end up being SATISFIED no matter what.

We can do it! Believe in yourself!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zottula
In some ways first year is harder because you have to adjust to a completely new environment and a completely new way of learning. You have to deal with living away from home, getting to know a new area and new people. All these factors may have contributed to how hard you found first year. The work will probably be harder in second year, but by this point you will have settled in more and will be used to the way things work.

Original post by PPPLLL
Well, I can tell you this. Almost everyone in our course is worried about second year. Some are more worried than others. This applies to other students at other universities doing other courses. I'm quite a paranoid person and i'm **** scared about what's to come as well.

What you need to realise is that we finished first year at IMPERIAL unscathed and with pretty damn good results. So, come second year we just need to think about our end goals and work (and play) as hard as we can to achieve those goals. I will tell myself to DO THE WORK CONSISTENTLY AND INTELLIGENTLY to the best of my ability and whatever results I may get later on, I will end up being SATISFIED no matter what.

We can do it! Believe in yourself!

Thank you for the optimistic responses. I know I've probably made myself seem really silly and pessimistic, but having some outside input really has helped. I'll try to keep what you've said in mind, and hopefully stop panicking so much about next year.
Thank you for the optimistic responses. I know I've probably made myself seem really silly and pessimistic, but having some outside input really has helped. I'll try to keep what you've said in mind, and hopefully stop panicking so much about next year.

Are you provided with past papers (with sample answers)?

I think it's important to get used to the style of exam questions and have good exam technique.

I tend to find that I perform best on exams where my revision is more organised and efficient (i.e. organised notes & very efficient revision).
Original post by Sayonara
Are you provided with past papers (with sample answers)?

I think it's important to get used to the style of exam questions and have good exam technique.

I tend to find that I perform best on exams where my revision is more organised and efficient (i.e. organised notes & very efficient revision).

Kind of.

Last year we had a few years worth of papers, but only got given sample answers for the most recent year. A friend of mine tried to request more and got a "we're only obligated to provide answers for the most recent paper" response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending