The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Applying to 5 Courses at UEA?

I have applied for 5 seperate courses at UEA, as I have arranged living plans for next year and it is the only university I can commute to, and I have researched that it is good for English. They are all English Literature themed, (Placement Year, Foundation year, Creative Writing etc) and my personal statement is English Lit themed. I already have my A-level grades. Will they only offer me one course?? I wanted to get into all of them and be able to choose amongst them. Is this not possible? Has anyone else done something similar when applying? I didn't want to bother applying to other unis as I wouldn't be able to go, and I wasn't too sure what English Lit course SPECIFICALLY to do anyway.
Normally, people apply to five different unis due to differences in teaching, learning, research, location and a variety of other factors. Are you sure you can't make it to any other uni? I've heard of people applying for two courses in the same uni, so theoretically all five should be possible too. However, I would advise you to call or mail the uni directly as they are best placed to answer you regarding this.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by lelkat
I have applied for 5 seperate courses at UEA, as I have arranged living plans for next year and it is the only university I can commute to, and I have researched that it is good for English. They are all English Literature themed, (Placement Year, Foundation year, Creative Writing etc) and my personal statement is English Lit themed. I already have my A-level grades. Will they only offer me one course?? I wanted to get into all of them and be able to choose amongst them. Is this not possible? Has anyone else done something similar when applying? I didn't want to bother applying to other unis as I wouldn't be able to go, and I wasn't too sure what English Lit course SPECIFICALLY to do anyway.

You can do this, but it's risky. If the requirements are similar you'll likely either get 5 offers or 5 rejections. It won't have increased your chances of getting an offer.

Probably would have been better applying to 2 and leaving your other choices free to see if you heard back by jan 26th. I would wager that a few of the courses are common first and possibly second years, in which case you could probably have swapped between them in any case.

No point worrying about it now as it's done.
Reply 3
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Normally, people apply to five different unis due to differences in teaching, learning, research, location and a variety of other factors. Are you sure you can't make it to any other uni? I've heard of people applying for two courses in the same uni, so theoretically all five should be possible too. However, I would advise you to call or mail the uni directly as they are best placed to answer you regarding this.

Yeah, my location is pretty set (and rural), I have no plans to move into student accommodation as I did this the year previous and it didn’t work with me. Everywhere else is over an hour or two commute.

I ended up emailing the admissions team, and they assured me each course would be assessed separately and I could make my firm/insurance choice from the courses I was accepted onto. But thank you for your help!
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
You can do this, but it's risky. If the requirements are similar you'll likely either get 5 offers or 5 rejections. It won't have increased your chances of getting an offer.

Probably would have been better applying to 2 and leaving your other choices free to see if you heard back by jan 26th. I would wager that a few of the courses are common first and possibly second years, in which case you could probably have swapped between them in any case.

No point worrying about it now as it's done.

The requirements are similar but not identical, and my grades straddle them a little. For some, I meet the requirements, and for others, I have the same UCAS points. I did actually reach out to the admissions team, and they reassured me each course would be assessed separately, so that was reassuring.

Thank you for your reply and help though!
Original post by lelkat
The requirements are similar but not identical, and my grades straddle them a little. For some, I meet the requirements, and for others, I have the same UCAS points. I did actually reach out to the admissions team, and they reassured me each course would be assessed separately, so that was reassuring.

If they’re slightly different requirements and the admissions team were encouraging then it’s less risky. No harm hedging your bets if you genuinely can’t go anywhere else. Best of luck!
Original post by lelkat

Hi, have you heard anything/received any offers yet?
Reply 7
Original post by SquirrelPatronus
Hi, have you heard anything/received any offers yet?

Hi! Yeah, so they responded to my email and let me know they would be judging each course separately. I have since received 3 offers, and 2 requests for a portfolio, which I will be sending off soon. So it all worked out well, pretty much.
Original post by lelkat
Hi! Yeah, so they responded to my email and let me know they would be judging each course separately. I have since received 3 offers, and 2 requests for a portfolio, which I will be sending off soon. So it all worked out well, pretty much.

That's great, congrats!! Good luck with the portfolio and everything.
I still haven't heard anything after almost 2 weeks and it's mildly terrifying. Fingers crossed though :,)

Update: nvm got in 😭 thank god
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
That's great, congrats!! Good luck with the portfolio and everything.
I still haven't heard anything after almost 2 weeks and it's mildly terrifying. Fingers crossed though :,)

Update: nvm got in 😭 thank god

I got in too yay! Which course are you doing?
Original post by lelkat
I got in too yay! Which course are you doing?

Computer science (w/ a foundation year). Don't know why I was so stressed about getting in tbh but it really is nerve wracking when you're sure on where you want to go.

Did you settle on a course? :smile:
Computer science (w/ a foundation year). Don't know why I was so stressed about getting in tbh but it really is nerve wracking when you're sure on where you want to go.

OMG, im doing computer science with a foundation year too starting this September. Question, do you plan on going to any of the applicant days, if so, which one?
i should be going to the one happening on the 18th this month:h:
Original post by amroelata
OMG, im doing computer science with a foundation year too starting this September. Question, do you plan on going to any of the applicant days, if so, which one?
i should be going to the one happening on the 18th this month:h:

AHHH finally someone doing the same course!! I should be going to the same applicant day but I'm waiting to see if I have the day off work. I'm so relieved lol I haven't found anyone in the same situation yet haha.

I'm kinda terrified about the applicant day tbh but it shouldn't be too bad I'm hoping.
Reply 13

Yes, I FINALLY decided on English w/ Creative Writing literally a couple of days ago. The modules seem super interesting.
AHHH finally someone doing the same course!! I should be going to the same applicant day but I'm waiting to see if I have the day off work. I'm so relieved lol I haven't found anyone in the same situation yet haha.

I'm kinda terrified about the applicant day tbh but it shouldn't be too bad I'm hoping.

Hey there @SquirrelPatronus :smile:

Great to hear that you went to an Applicant Day - I know how daunting it may initially be!! How did you find it? I hope you got the opportunity to meet some of your friendly cohort and some of the lovely staff and academics!

Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership) :smile:
Original post by lelkat
Yes, I FINALLY decided on English w/ Creative Writing literally a couple of days ago. The modules seem super interesting.

Hey @lelkat!

Wow! That's so exciting - glad to hear that you're interested in the modules! :smile: Have you had the chance to attend an Applicant Day? If so, how did you find it? :smile:

Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Reply 16
Original post by UEA Rep Isabella
Hey @lelkat!

Wow! That's so exciting - glad to hear that you're interested in the modules! :smile: Have you had the chance to attend an Applicant Day? If so, how did you find it? :smile:

I did, it was quite nice actually!
Original post by lelkat
I did, it was quite nice actually!

Hey @lelkat :smile:

It's so nice to hear that you had a lovely day at our wonderfully green campus! UEA truly is home of the wonderful :smile:

Best of luck with your A Levels!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending