The Student Room Group

Do you think there is an afterlife?

This poll is closed

Do you think there is an afterlife?

Yes I believe there is an afterlife 30%
I do not know 10%
No I do not believe there is no afterlife60%
Total votes: 20
Do you think there is an afterlife? Do you know any paranormal stories?

There are stories about near death experiences, ghosts, mediums etc. but there isn't much hard evidence.
People still believe that?
I believe in the day of judgement, that's all.
Original post by Emilin
there isn't much hard evidence.

*any

And in that case, obviously not....
Like, the existence of an afterlife is a huge claim, and if something that significant were true there would be a huge body of evidence and not just anecdotes from people of questionable mental stability.
Reply 4
Original post by tysonmaniac
*any

And in that case, obviously not....
Like, the existence of an afterlife is a huge claim, and if something that significant were true there would be a huge body of evidence and not just anecdotes from people of questionable mental stability.

I was hoping to hear some anecdotes. They are a lot of fun to listen to.

I have heard anecdotes from people who were stable and sound you know.
Reply 5
This mortal existence is an exercise in coffin-dodging.
You may have a fancy education, car etc but all you are doing is going there in "style".

3 things to do before you really live:
repent, be baptised unto Jesus' death, receive His Spirit ("born again", resulting in speaking in tongues).

Then you are a son/daughter of God and can have a growing relationship that makes you see life as he sees it,
or, you can go back to the old ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Nah, I think we just die and diminish into nothingness
I don't really see why so many people see my view as hard to interpret.. there's really nothing to interpret.

But the idea of the supernatural/afterlife is interesting
Original post by Emilin
I was hoping to hear some anecdotes. They are a lot of fun to listen to.

I have heard anecdotes from people who were stable and sound you know.

They may be a lot of fun to listen to, but they are dangerous, because people actually believe them.

And it may be overly harsh of me to suggest people who believe in an afterlife are unstable, but the suspension of disbelief required to accept something so extraordinary on such little evidence suggests at least a lack of rational thinking.
Reply 8
Original post by tysonmaniac
They may be a lot of fun to listen to, but they are dangerous, because people actually believe them.

And it may be overly harsh of me to suggest people who believe in an afterlife are unstable, but the suspension of disbelief required to accept something so extraordinary on such little evidence suggests at least a lack of rational thinking.

There are actually studies into reincarnation by scientists, who seem to be capable of rational thinking.http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/2013/11/02/ian-stevensons-case-for-the-afterlife-are-we-skeptics-really-just-cynics/
Reply 9
Well....

according to Hinduism you are reborn in different planes of existance depending on your past karma. Good actions lead to higher births, bad actions lead to lower births such as animals and the hell realms.
Nope, the only place I'm going when I croak is 6 feet under.
Reply 12
Original post by godd
Well....

according to Hinduism you are reborn in different planes of existance depending on your past karma. Good actions lead to higher births, bad actions lead to lower births such as animals and the hell realms.

Most the Eastern religions (Buddhists etc.) believe that too. As per the link I put above, there have been studies into reincarnation by Professor Ian Stevenson.
The poll doesn't make sense. The last option is the same as the first. Either you've typed that incorrectly or you're trying to force people to agree. :P

Anyway, I do not think that there is an afterlife as I have seen no evidence that there exists an afterlife.
Reply 14
Yes there is an afterlife. Its called Akhira. :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by SHallowvale
The poll doesn't make sense. The last option is the same as the first. Either you've typed that incorrectly or you're trying to force people to agree. :P

Anyway, I do not think that there is an afterlife as I have seen no evidence that there exists an afterlife.

Whoops! My bad! I can't seem to edit the poll though... Any help editing the poll?
not sure how any TSR members know if there is an afterlife... :hmmmm2:
Reply 17
No
Reply 18
Original post by the bear
not sure how any TSR members know if there is an afterlife... :hmmmm2:

Just asking opinions really. I was particularly interested in anecdotes though, but had none so far...

Quick Reply

Latest