The Student Room Group

How to stop cutting myself shaving?

I've done LOADS of research into shaving and experimented with all sort of things. Eg tried shaving in the shower, hot water, cold water, moisturising before/after, exfoliating before, with the grain, against the grain, manual razors, safety razors, shaving foams, shaving gels, shaving soaps. I used to get rashes when I shaved but managed to prevent this from happening by using a proraso shaving soap instead of shaving creams with chemicals in them (such as gillette's ones).

Now my other problem was that i cut myself loads even when I take loads of care. I probably cut myself every other time I shave. I know I have sensitive skin (and i am talking EXTREMELY sensitive). I even had my first shave at a barbers hoping he wouldn't cut me and he ended up embarrassed when he finished the shave and I had cuts all over my face! Even safety razors don't work for cuts! Any tips on how to stop cuts?

My current routine is:
- Warm water onto the areas I'm going to shave
- Proraso shaving soap - lots of it and keep rubbing it until it lathers
- Very small amount of warm water with the soap on my face
- Shave with warm water, cleaning my blade constantly (Wilkinson hydro 5), with the grain
- Wash off excess soap and lose hairs with cold water
- Pat dry and hold towel on any cuts so they clot
- Cetaphil sensitive moisturiser on shaved area
bump
Reply 2
electric razors?
Perhaps a trimmer or those three headed shavers
Reply 4
dont go sideways. :smile:
Original post by kingdoo
electric razors?

Original post by AbdulKoyes
Perhaps a trimmer or those three headed shavers

Electric ones are 1 thing I haven't tried! Do you know the best electric razor? I'm happy to pay loads more if it stops me cutting myself
Reply 6
Original post by dylantombides
Electric ones are 1 thing I haven't tried! Do you know the best electric razor? I'm happy to pay loads more if it stops me cutting myself

I cannot really suggest a best one, but just search online and you should be able to find one quite easily which don't use blades so your face doesn't get cut.

Plus it will save you money long run as you won't have to get shaving cream and other products to help.:biggrin:
I would suggest an electric razor. I can often nick my legs when using an ordinary razor but my electric one has never ever cut me.
sure you're not using your mums old razor that she's been doing her legs with?

if you're changing the blade often enough and not going side to side with it I think you better give up and get a philishave tbh.
Reply 9
Shave after a shower, using the Proraso (is it the tube or tub?) with a brush. Cold water is a good idea. What's the consistency of your lather? Perform one pass, with the grain, where you focus on applying minimal pressure.

Consider a DE razor - e.g. Edwin Jagger DE89 or similar.
Try applying much less pressure and going over the same area many times instead of going over the area once with alot of pressure. Try reapplying the shaving cream after each stroke.
Don't press so hard and try switching to conditioner instead of shaving gel, it prevents a rash and less likely to cut yourself because the razor just glides through it.
Reply 12
I have never cut myself when using a Gillette Venus Sugarberry razor, although I've had problems with pretty much every brand that I've used prior to this. However, they are expensive. So I finally took the plunge and now I use an epilator.

I’d recommend Karmin :h:

Quick Reply

Latest