The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis7253
I'm struggling for ideas for my personal statement. I haven't studied economics at AS Level (something I regret. Took History) and am not completely sure about all the topics and content of it. I have recently started reading up on lots of topics but have no work experience relating to economics.

Struggling for ideas to say what reading or research I have done or work experience. I can link all my subjects well though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You should be reading a few books (3-4) over the summer and be making notes so you can have something to talk about in your PS. You don't need to have studied economics. Admissions tutors don't want to know about AS economics - they already know it! They want to know about what initiative you've taken and what you think (hence personal statement) about book x or concept y or major economic talking points today. Work experience doesn't matter whatsoever, don't worry about it.
Original post by Mike_123
You should be reading a few books (3-4) over the summer and be making notes so you can have something to talk about in your PS. You don't need to have studied economics. Admissions tutors don't want to know about AS economics - they already know it! They want to know about what initiative you've taken and what you think (hence personal statement) about book x or concept y or major economic talking points today. Work experience doesn't matter whatsoever, don't worry about it.

Any book recommendations? Heard Freakonomics is overused in personal statements
Original post by Lewis7253
Any book recommendations? Heard Freakonomics is overused in personal statements

Yeah don't go for those 'mainstream' books that try to make economics 'fun', although some are still quite informative. It's really up to you, I personally like to read stuff from, for instance, Krugman, but there's loads out there.
Writing your personal statement is the most horrific thing ever. :frown:
I am torn with my options. I'm going for Oxford, Warwick, UCL but I'm not sure on the other 2. My options are LSE, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and maybe a uni that does an AAB offer if it doesnt go to plan in A2s.
Anyone have any suggestions?
For extra info, I got 8A* and 3A at GCSE and I got 4 As AS level (economics, chemistry, maths, further maths) but my UMS average was only around 89 so I ruled out Cambridge.
Original post by groovyd97
I am torn with my options. I'm going for Oxford, Warwick, UCL but I'm not sure on the other 2. My options are LSE, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham and maybe a uni that does an AAB offer if it doesnt go to plan in A2s.
For extra info, I got 8A* and 3A at GCSE and I got 4 As AS level (economics, chemistry, maths, further maths) but my UMS average was only around 89 so I ruled out Cambridge.

Are you doing all 4 to A2 because I'm pretty sure Nottingham's 4A2 offer is A*ABB so that could be a factor?
Have you been to any of the places? Bath and Nottingham are campus unis so is that may be something to consider, although you are applying to warwick so I presume you like that?
Has everyone filled in university connect (the new stalking pages) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/economics? :smile:

I would go with Bristol (being one of the best outside the top 5) and Nottingham (also being very good and for the reason NinjaPandaa suggested)
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Has everyone filled in university connect (the new stalking pages) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/course/economics? :smile:

Finaallly a proper stalking thread. Wish it had last years data.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Are you doing all 4 to A2 because I'm pretty sure Nottingham's 4A2 offer is A*ABB so that could be a factor?
Have you been to any of the places? Bath and Nottingham are campus unis so is that may be something to consider, although you are applying to warwick so I presume you like that?

I am planning on starting the year with doing 4 A2s but I'm not sure I can handle the workload (particularly FP2 and M2 which we have to do). Atm, it's quite likely that I'll drop one of them after a few weeks but we'll wee how it goes.
Yeah I do like campus unis, loved Warwick! Is it worth going for LSE as I know sometimes they don't like people who have Oxford as their first choice? (hinted in the PS).
I am planning on starting the year with doing 4 A2s but I'm not sure I can handle the workload (particularly FP2 and M2 which we have to do). Atm, it's quite likely that I'll drop one of them after a few weeks but we'll wee how it goes.
Yeah I do like campus unis, loved Warwick! Is it worth going for LSE as I know sometimes they don't like people who have Oxford as their first choice? (hinted in the PS).

Ah ok I see, well you're already applying to 3 of the top 5 and I'm pretty sure lse is one of the most competitive (14% of applicants get a place or something, a marginally lower success rate than cambridge I believe) so you may want to think about applying to a couple of unis that are less competitive. I'm pretty sure lse also want your individual module results but I'm not 100% on that one so again that's something to consider.
Personally if I was you and you like campuses I'd go for bath and nottingham :smile:

Ooh I loved warwick too! I really hope I get in there :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wakawakawaka
Finaallly a proper stalking thread. Wish it had last years data.

I'm pretty sure there's an economics applicants stalking thread from last year you could have a look at, might take a bit of searching though

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. maths workload is low
2. doesnt matter
Just as a side note lse do ask for ums marks, they send a separate questionnaire afterwards!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received the undergraduate prospectus for Warwick, love the look of this campus uni! Thankyou Ninjapandaa for getting me into it. :tongue:

Any recommendations for any other similar campus unis? Right now, I am thinking of keeping Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester/Sheffield and Leicester as my top 5. My dad says I am aiming low considering I am predicted A*s in two subjects next year but I don't know.. Also, I can not find any other university with ABB requirements other than Leicester and I do want one as a backup.

Oh, oh, also.. (so many questions!)..I am looking into Glasgow university as my fourth option instead. I love the idea of studying in Scotland. Anything you know about the economics course there? Is it rated highly, lowly, averagely? I do know it is a pretty good russell group university by itself.
Original post by AChhabs0701
Just received the undergraduate prospectus for Warwick, love the look of this campus uni! Thankyou Ninjapandaa for getting me into it. :tongue:

Any recommendations for any other similar campus unis? Right now, I am thinking of keeping Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Manchester/Sheffield and Leicester as my top 5. My dad says I am aiming low considering I am predicted A*s in two subjects next year but I don't know.. Also, I can not find any other university with ABB requirements other than Leicester and I do want one as a backup.

Oh, oh, also.. (so many questions!)..I am looking into Glasgow university as my fourth option instead. I love the idea of studying in Scotland. Anything you know about the economics course there? Is it rated highly, lowly, averagely? I do know it is a pretty good russell group university by itself.

Grade entry profiles don't matter if you like the universities. :smile:

I've found the following website very valuable:

http://university.which.co.uk/

You can filter courses by UCAS entry points, type of programme, and percentage of applicants who receive offers. So for instance, you could look up ABB universities by filtering for courses which require 320 points.
Original post by AChhabs0701

Woo yay warwick! :biggrin: Bath's a campus uni too and that's meant to be pretty good I think, and if you're predicted two A*s shouldn't be out of reach. I don't know if you've been but the actual city of Bath is beautiful, I've not been to the campus itself but it's meant to be nice I hear :smile:
If you wanted a backup (depending on how high your grades were this year) you could always just go for an AAB uni rather than ABB?
Sorry I can't be any help with glasgow, I only really considered it briefly because I wanted the option to do optional language modules (chinese) and it doesn't do that aha, although I did hear it's a really expensive place to live in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mike_123
Having been through the process last year, I'm happy to help anyone here if you quote me, or privately if you want some secrecy (I know I did!) via PM.

Hi I just got my gcse I got 5 A's and 5 B's( A In maths,eco) and B in english. My choosen A levels are maths,bio,chem and economics.
Can I still apply for RG UNIS even with my gcse's ?? Suppose I get A's and B's at AS level with I still be offered places at any top 10-15 unis??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Hey guys, I applied for economics last year and am about to start this year. I researched so much during my application phase so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask or inbox me :smile:
Original post by zzaacc
Hey guys, I applied for economics last year and am about to start this year. I researched so much during my application phase so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask or inbox me :smile:

Ah cool, where you studying this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending