The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vxx1
Does anyone here have experience about opening a bank account in England if you're from overseas? I'm looking for a bank where there aren't a lot of extra costs when my parents want to transfer euros to my english bank account. i know I can get information at freshers week, however, I think it might be good to hear what other people have experienced. :smile:

Thanks xx

I don't know much about bank accounts for international students personally but the university has some useful advice on their website: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/international/finance/banking/

You might also want to check out the UKCISA website: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/When-you-arrive/Opening-a-bank-account/
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Is anyone living at home this year actually going to buy a wristband? I really want to go to the events but I don't see the point in going if I don't have anyone to go with
Original post by pendulumswinging
Is anyone living at home this year actually going to buy a wristband? I really want to go to the events but I don't see the point in going if I don't have anyone to go with

You can come with me :smile:
Original post by vxx1
Does anyone here have experience about opening a bank account in England if you're from overseas? I'm looking for a bank where there aren't a lot of extra costs when my parents want to transfer euros to my english bank account. i know I can get information at freshers week, however, I think it might be good to hear what other people have experienced. :smile:

Thanks xx

I believe that some banks are a bit funny about giving accounts to international students because they don't think it's 'worth it' (i.e. they don't think they're going to make enough profit from you in the long term because you're unlikely to stay in the UK after graduation).

It will probably just be a case of visiting a few banks and seeing if they will let you open an account there, but you may find it helpful to go along to the Your Money and Banking session that the uni is putting on http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=20653 (page 11)

You might like to ask on this facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/307588266066356/?fref=ts The SU has just employed someone to look after students living at home and their interests (her name is Trina) but she's only been in post for a week, so things are still in progress!
I just got my new student account. Does anyone know how I change my accomodation direct debit to come from this new account?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Faye_m
I just got my new student account. Does anyone know how I change my accomodation direct debit to come from this new account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll probably need to contact the accommodation office.

this is me too =/

I DO want to go to freshers but I also don't want to go on my own.

(I'm technically not living at home but yeah :L)
Reply 2527

you should join the living at home group on fb :smile: I feel the exact same tbh, is anyone else commuting/living at home?
(edited 9 years ago)
really silly question, but does anyone know how to change your user name for the IT account? The one I was assigned seems randomized and I can't find any link to change it.
Original post by mitalip
really silly question, but does anyone know how to change your user name for the IT account? The one I was assigned seems randomized and I can't find any link to change it.

You can't change it, unfortunately. You'll have it memorized before long though.
is anyone commuting from rochdale to uom?? x
Original post by mahamxa
you should join the living at home group on fb :smile: I feel the exact same tbh, is anyone else commuting/living at home?

Its a crap feeling tbh. I'm moving out next year so maybe I can do freshers then. I think the general commuter attitude towards freshers is that "I want to go but I don't want to cos I don't have anyone to go with." I know that there are events for commuters to go to with the wristband but the university should definitely have done more to help us integrate into the social aspect. They should have done events to help us meet fellow commuters before the events took place so we have people to actually go with. Do you think we'll be able to buy tickets for events during welcome week? I'll probably tag along with course mates haha
Will we be able to collect our cards from the 11th or do we have to wait for the 15th
Will we be able to collect our cards from the 11th or do we have to wait for the 15th

Card collection is available from the 8th, so yes. This page tells you the locations you can pick it up from and when they're open: http://www.studentnet.manchester.ac.uk/crucial-guide/academic-life/registration/registration-process/student-card-collection/
Reply 2534
Its a crap feeling tbh. I'm moving out next year so maybe I can do freshers then. I think the general commuter attitude towards freshers is that "I want to go but I don't want to cos I don't have anyone to go with." I know that there are events for commuters to go to with the wristband but the university should definitely have done more to help us integrate into the social aspect. They should have done events to help us meet fellow commuters before the events took place so we have people to actually go with. Do you think we'll be able to buy tickets for events during welcome week? I'll probably tag along with course mates haha

completely agree haha, there is one living at home/commuters picnic happening tomorrow at 1 that I'm going to, idk if its too late of notice to tell you but you should try to come :smile: and I'm not completely sure, you're supposed to collect those wristbands from the SU or order them online if I'm correct, idk if you can collect the tickets on the day of the welcome week events :/ again it'd be useful if we knew people to go with beforehand!
Original post by mahamxa
completely agree haha, there is one living at home/commuters picnic happening tomorrow at 1 that I'm going to, idk if its too late of notice to tell you but you should try to come :smile: and I'm not completely sure, you're supposed to collect those wristbands from the SU or order them online if I'm correct, idk if you can collect the tickets on the day of the welcome week events :/ again it'd be useful if we knew people to go with beforehand!

Hey there, I will be living by myself and have no one I know in Manchester so I would really appreciate it if you could inform me more about that picnic, I could really use meeting some people, thanks! :smile:
Reply 2536
Original post by euphorie
Hey there, I will be living by myself and have no one I know in Manchester so I would really appreciate it if you could inform me more about that picnic, I could really use meeting some people, thanks! :smile:

hi :smile: i'm not sure if it'll let me post links https://www.facebook.com/events/281066488754668/286207594907224/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity
if that doesn't work, just facebook search 'manchester students living at home' and a group will appear, scroll down and the link for the welcome picnic event will come up :smile: if none of these are working then let me know and i'll just pm you the details
Anyone staying in Whitworth Park Aberdeen house? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by araddhna96
Hey, I'm doing Ancient History! I got into UoM through Clearing so basically saw the Uni for the first time today."

Same here! Still having a few doubts - trying to find out as much as I can about the department and the courses, so I don't feel like a complete moron when I turn up. I'd really like to do some modern history units - is it hard to get on to them?
Guys how easy is it to change a course once you arrive. How about changing it on your first week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending