The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry students?

Hi guys,

How do you find A2 Chemistry?

What sort of questions do you find it hard to answer?

I am speaking about OCR Chemistry to be specific, but same questions apply to any other board. I was wondering if there is any good book with questions and answers. Do you think it would help to buy any such book and do those questions?

Cheers
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by sgulmedic
Hi guys,

I am speaking about OCR Chemistry to be specific, but same questions apply to any other board. I was wondering if there is any good book with questions and answers. Do you think it would help to buy any such book and do those questions?

Cheers

Are you doing salters or chemistry A?
I did CCEA chemistry.

I would recommend buying the books related to the subject, and as I struggled with calculations at the start I bought the AS/A level calculations book and it helped a lot.

For some people A2 makes AS more understandable as it's more in depth, there are a few topics that are a bit of a pain to learn, I personally hated Amines. But you get some nice topics, I really enjoyed transition metals and amides, organic chemistry can be quite nice or really mean :frown:

It's really just down to loads of practice. The practicals are great fun too, but I usually found calculations/some organic to be quite hard.
I finished A2 Edexcel Chemistry this year, and have to say it was LOADS better than AS. :smile:

I swear I almost died of boredom after AS :s-smilie: - generic principles, solubilities etc., but A2 brought out the interesting applied Chemistry, like Cell Electropotentials and Nitrogen Chemistry; even the practicals were more interesting.

The downside is A2 is MUCH harder :mad:, but almost everything is repetitive, like the cyanide-aldehyde mechanism to produce a 2-hydroxy-nitrile. Work hard at it though and you'll bag a decent grade!

The calculations can be awful sometimes, so watch out for those. And Edexcel in particular has a habit of making the 90% of the paper into the horrific 'suggest' questions; these require a higher level of thinking to excel.

Best of luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sgulmedic
Hi guys,

Cheers

Hi! I do OCR chemistry A and the hardest stuff I find in A2 is probably ligand substitution and the hard redox practical stuff that you have to know. To help with difficult topics I use physics and maths tutor website as it has soooo much revision resources on there and it’s all free.

Quick Reply

Latest