The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elm Tree
Our school is forcing us to send our off by 17th October :s-smilie:

They probably won't though, they'll just say that to get you to write your personal statement :tongue: You still have six weeks though, that's wayyy more than I had in the end (not saying it wasn't my fault)! Start reading things this weekend, a lot of what you had for electrical engineering can still be applied to mechanical- it's not like they're completely different subjects, and your extra curriculars will still be the same and things. You'll be fine! :smile:
So much conflicting advice about personal statements...
Question -> UNI Deadlines?

If I'm applying for engineering/Physics when would I expect to have finished my UCAS Application & P.S by?
I know Med students apply October but what about Sciences/Engineering courses @Deadline?
Does it vary per uni or is there a deadline for all courses throughout Uni's?
Original post by LeFailFish
So much conflicting advice about personal statements...

I started my P.S today & I noticed there are alot of helpful advise & tips on TSR Website I found something along the lines of a 'P.S Builder' & P.S examples of students that applied off TSR for each Uni :smile:

^ Advise: Look around.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Question -> UNI Deadlines?

If I'm applying for engineering/Physics when would I expect to have finished my UCAS Application & P.S by?
I know Med students apply October but what about Sciences/Engineering courses @Deadline?
Does it vary per uni or is there a deadline for all courses throughout Uni's?

It depends on your school, but the overall deadline (other than some art courses I think) is the middle of January, last time it was the 15th so sometime around then. That's the deadline for everywhere, and then they have to reply to you by sometime in May.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
It depends on your school, but the overall deadline (other than some art courses I think) is the middle of January, last time it was the 15th so sometime around then. That's the deadline for everywhere, and then they have to reply to you by sometime in May.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I prefer them replying back after exams; I don't need that extra hassle, notably pre-exam period.
Do universities reimburse you for travel costs to interviews? I've been doing the sums and it ends up being rather pricey to travel by train to my five choices
:afraid:
Original post by furryface12
I'm jealous, would love to go there! Are you applying for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not really sure I'll even get an offer but I'm applying because why not, I may as well have a go :tongue:

And yes, physics master race :tongue:

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ooooh will have to work hard then

Unfortunately yes :tongue:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I prefer them replying back after exams; I don't need that extra hassle, notably pre-exam period.

At least it means you don't have to wait quite as long! Most won't leave it that late anyway, usually they try to reply by the end of March although not all of them do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ayshac94
Do universities reimburse you for travel costs to interviews? I've been doing the sums and it ends up being rather pricey to travel by train to my five choices
:afraid:

I've not heard of anywhere doing so, certainly the one I had an interview didn't, but that doesn't necessarily mean nowhere does! Do all of your unis interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tibbz2
I'm not really sure I'll even get an offer but I'm applying because why not, I may as well have a go :tongue:

And yes, physics master race :tongue:

Unfortunately yes :tongue:

You may as well try as you say- I was convinced Edinburgh wouldn't give me an offer last year and they did, although it was wayyy too high to be achievable for me at the time. But as one of your five choices, definitely worth a go! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So boered
Reply 1992
Original post by lizziecr
So boered

How was your day? :console:
Original post by 8472
How was your day? :console:

HELLO MY GOOD FRIEND
yes it was good only one lesson today which was lovely!
its a shame i live 40 mins walk away from college although I treated myself to the bus today.
How are you!
Reply 1994
Original post by lizziecr
HELLO MY GOOD FRIEND
yes it was good only one lesson today which was lovely!
its a shame i live 40 mins walk away from college although I treated myself to the bus today.
How are you!

:h:

What lesson did you have? You do that 40 minute walk each day? :eek:

I'm fine but a little sleepy :yawn: . Had my first ok day at college after being there for over a year. :indiff: Finished at lunch time but and none of the computing homework i've been given as I got carried away helping people this afternoon. :colondollar:
The fire bell went off three times today... apparently the new toaster in the staff room is a bit unpredictable :tongue:
The fire bell went off three times today... apparently the new toaster in the staff room is a bit unpredictable :tongue:

That's insane! That must have been a major disruption!:-(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
That's insane! That must have been a major disruption!:-(

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was rather - the first went off right at the end of break, so fortunately we only lost 5 minutes or so of Biology, but the second was in the middle of the lesson which was really inconvenient. It means more homework too, because we have to complete our class notes. But it could have been a lot worse, and it was amusing seeing the teachers look so guilty about not being able to use a toaster!

At least your fire alarms work- when someone set the common room microwave on fire last year, bearing in mind our common room was basically a wooden hut, they didn't even go off :lol:
Original post by 8472
:h:

What lesson did you have? You do that 40 minute walk each day? :eek:

I'm fine but a little sleepy :yawn: . Had my first ok day at college after being there for over a year. :indiff: Finished at lunch time but and none of the computing homework i've been given as I got carried away helping people this afternoon. :colondollar:

I had German but I cant find my book and its annoying me soo much!! yeah 40 mins each way!
aw yay thats good! aw no but at least you can do it now

Latest