The Student Room Group

3 a levels + an EPQ? Will i be disadvantaged at uni?

I am taking biology, chemistry, and maths, along with psychology which i wish to drop for an EPQ since i am not enjoying it at all. Will this be ok for my future at university? i wish to study maths or medicine. The units which I am currently looking at would be aston university and university of birmingham.
please help!! :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

It's ideal you do 4 A-levels to AS but if you're doing an EPQ it may offer consolation. I'd strongly advice against doing 3 if you're considering medicine - the field itself is competitive enough, and you don't want question marks over your academic ability.

If you want to do maths, however, you'll be fine.

GL
Reply 2
Original post by jake4198
Hey,

It's ideal you do 4 A-levels to AS but if you're doing an EPQ it may offer consolation. I'd strongly advice against doing 3 if you're considering medicine - the field itself is competitive enough, and you don't want question marks over your academic ability.

If you want to do maths, however, you'll be fine.

GL

Thank you so much! In my school the lessons overlap a lot so I have only choices from buissness studies psychology and physics, which i do not want to do. So i was thinking of opting for an EPQ instead. I wonder if anyone has gotten into medicine with 3 AS levels + an EPQ!
I don't recollect anyone getting into medicine with 3 AS', but I'm sure it's possible. If you hate Psychology so much then maybe it is best to drop - as you don't want to end up with a bad grade. Either way, I'd recommend you stick to it and try and do as well as possible.
Reply 4
Original post by jake4198
I don't recollect anyone getting into medicine with 3 AS', but I'm sure it's possible. If you hate Psychology so much then maybe it is best to drop - as you don't want to end up with a bad grade. Either way, I'd recommend you stick to it and try and do as well as possible.

Ok thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by nicok
I am taking biology, chemistry, and maths, along with psychology which i wish to drop for an EPQ since i am not enjoying it at all. Will this be ok for my future at university? i wish to study maths or medicine. The units which I am currently looking at would be aston university and university of birmingham.

you need further maths if you want to do maths degree..
by the way, most universities don't consider EPQ as an A-level but its still helpful.
Original post by nicok
Thank you so much! In my school the lessons overlap a lot so I have only choices from buissness studies psychology and physics, which i do not want to do. So i was thinking of opting for an EPQ instead. I wonder if anyone has gotten into medicine with 3 AS levels + an EPQ!

same, I had to drop psychology for Physics with an EPQ and general studies
Reply 7
I have a GCSE grade A at further maths but i am not taking it as an as level. I know its just an AS level, thank you for your help!
Reply 8
Original post by Angelo12231
same, I had to drop psychology for Physics with an EPQ and general studies

They should really warn us about these overlaps beforehand!
An EPQ is equivalent to an AS level so it shouldn't matter too much, as long as you put enough work into it. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
An EPQ is equivalent to an AS level so it shouldn't matter too much, as long as you put enough work into it. :smile:

I hope so, there's not many subjects I could take, so my only other option would be the EPQ
Original post by nicok
They should really warn us about these overlaps beforehand!

Agreed, I was quite frustrated that I had to do all three sciences. I had other options such as english language but I would never do that again :tongue: SUCH BS! Rant over.
Reply 12
Agreed, I was quite frustrated that I had to do all three sciences. I had other options such as english language but I would never do that again :tongue: SUCH BS! Rant over.

Trust me! I hate english language! Never will i do that again in my life :L
Original post by nicok
Trust me! I hate english language! Never will i do that again in my life :L

haha, btw In my school, only one person is doing english language :tongue:
Reply 14
haha, btw In my school, only one person is doing english language :tongue:

Why are we not suprised? :L
Reply 15
Original post by nicok

Original post by swopnil
you need further maths if you want to do maths degree..
by the way, most universities don't consider EPQ as an A-level but its still helpful.

You don't need it! Only a few unis view it as compulsory. In fact it's not that hard for the OP to have checked requirements at various unis. Using the unis that OP mentions as examples: Aston doesn't mention it at all. UoB actually states that it is "not required, but would be advantageous." http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/maths/mathematics.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
This is often the case, but not always, that universities see Further Maths as advantageous. Sometimes you are given a lower offer if Further Maths is one of your subjects, even if it is only an AS level.

I agree that an EPQ looks good and so is better than nothing, but it probably doesn't replace an AS level. From a medicine perspective; psychology, physics and further maths are all quite good options for a 4th AS level.
If you want to keep options open for maths, it may be wise to choose Further Maths.
Reply 16
I think southampton says they accept epq as a fourth - then again, they love it. Not sure if many other places. Its still quite early in the year and im sure you can pick up a different subject, if you still want to do medicine

Also further maths is NOT mandatory for degree level maths contrary to popular beliefs (Aside from a few big places which require STEP 3)
Reply 17
Original post by RVNmax
You don't need it! Only a few unis view it as compulsory. In fact it's not that hard for the OP to have checked requirements at various unis. Using the unis that OP mentions as examples: Aston doesn't mention it at all. UoB actually states that it is "not required, but would be advantageous." http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/maths/mathematics.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
This is often the case, but not always, that universities see Further Maths as advantageous. Sometimes you are given a lower offer if Further Maths is one of your subjects, even if it is only an AS level.

I agree that an EPQ looks good and so is better than nothing, but it probably doesn't replace an AS level. From a medicine perspective; psychology, physics and further maths are all quite good options for a 4th AS level.
If you want to keep options open for maths, it may be wise to choose Further Maths.

Thank you for all the help! I'd love to take further maths but sadly my sixth form doesnt offer the course /: I think i'll carry on with psychology and try my best, and perhaps next year i'll start my EPQ.
Original post by nicok
Why are we not suprised? :L

i am quite surprised actually :LL i didnt think anyone would take it
Original post by nicok
Thank you for all the help! I'd love to take further maths but sadly my sixth form doesnt offer the course /: I think i'll carry on with psychology and try my best, and perhaps next year i'll start my EPQ.

actually, why don't you talk to your maths teacher if you can do further maths and explain your reason.
i know our school doesn't do further maths either but my friend did this and now he is doing it after school.
do expect to put in a lot of effort by yourself tho and go to websites like 'exam solution' to self-teach as you go along.

Quick Reply

Latest