The Student Room Group

AS Level grades

today i received my as level and i can say that i am not proud with what ive come out with. My goal is to apply for medicine at manchester university in october and based on that i was wondering on the importance of my as results and how much of an effect it will have on my application?
Original post by morteamie
today i received my as level and i can say that i am not proud with what ive come out with. My goal is to apply for medicine at manchester university in october and based on that i was wondering on the importance of my as results and how much of an effect it will have on my application?

@_Rusty_ @KA_P might be best to advise on implications for Medicine here :smile:

Firstly well done on achieving an AS Level as most medicine applicants won't have one - this does not advantage you nor disadvantage you.

You need 3 A Levels(normally predicted >=AAA) and sometimes a 5/6 in Maths or English at GCSE. The additional AS does not come into this so should not affect anything.

So first, take a break and celebrate a little. Then start looking into A Levels, Interviews, strategic applications etc.

R:smile:

I don't think it would have an effect if I remember correctly, they may have a glance at your predicted grades (for A-level - I'm only mentioning this if your AS affects your predicted grades). But at the end of the day, UCAT/BMAT, Alevel grades and interview performance play a much bigger role
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by KA_P
I don't think it would have an effect if I remember correctly, they may have a glance at your predicted grades. But at the end of the day, UCAT/BMAT, Alevel grades and interview performance play a much bigger role

thanks for the reply. Upon the subject of interviews, won't my as level grade have a role in whether or not the university gives me an interview?
thanks for the reply. Upon the subject of interviews, won't my as level grade have a role in whether or not the university gives me an interview?

That's why you need to apply strategically, look at scoring criteria for both an interview offer and a post-interview offer of universities before you apply and have a look at this thread once you have sat your UCAT:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=7312527
(edited 8 months ago)

You may like Manchester but, you application may not score well there and in fact you may have a much greater chance of getting in somewhere else.

This is all hypothetical as we know none of your stats but applying strategically is the best way of getting into medicine
Reply 7
Original post by _Rusty_
You may like Manchester but, you application may not score well there and in fact you may have a much greater chance of getting in somewhere else.

This is all hypothetical as we know none of your stats but applying strategically is the best way of getting into medicine

i got A D D E in my AS. which i know is quite bad when lookng upon applying for university
i got A D D E in my AS. which i know is quite bad when lookng upon applying for university

Can I ask why you're taking 4 subjects?
Reply 9
Original post by KA_P
Can I ask why you're taking 4 subjects?

my college requires us to take 4 as level subjects and then when moving onto a level we drop one.
I obviously will be dropping the E grade (chemistry).
my college requires us to take 4 as level subjects and then when moving onto a level we drop one.
I obviously will be dropping the E grade (chemistry).

What are the other subjects that you're taking? For medicine, I personally don't recommend dropping chemistry as most unis may require it
Reply 11
Original post by KA_P
What are the other subjects that you're taking? For medicine, I personally don't recommend dropping chemistry as most unis may require it

im taking biology, psychology and english literature. I was originally planning on dropping psychology but im not so sure now with the turn out of the grades.
im taking biology, psychology and english literature. I was originally planning on dropping psychology but im not so sure now with the turn out of the grades.

I would probably keep both biology and chemistry as that will give you wider range of universities to choose from to apply to
Reply 13
Original post by KA_P
I would probably keep both biology and chemistry as that will give you wider range of universities to choose from to apply to

just want to ask because I'm in a similar situation, with an E in chemistry, how would our schools still let us take it? I also take 4 A levels plus and EPQ and really don't want to drop chemistry so I'm quite worried : (
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by lattae :p
just want to ask because I'm in a similar situation, with an E in chemistry, how would our schools still let us take it? I also take 4 A levels plus and EPQ and really don't want to drop chemistry so I'm quite worried : (

I would discuss this with your school, a potential option would be dropping a fourth a-level (that isn't chemistry) and possibly EPQ.
What subjects are you currently taking?
Reply 15
Original post by KA_P
I would discuss this with your school, a potential option would be dropping a fourth a-level (that isn't chemistry) and possibly EPQ.
What subjects are you currently taking?

oh okay I'm currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Geography, EPQ - wanted to drop geography
oh okay I'm currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, Geography, EPQ - wanted to drop geography

Sounds like a good idea :hugs: If you feel like it would take a bit of your shoulder, dropping EPQ as well is an option as you only really need 3 A-Levels, but this would be something you should discuss with your school to get their input as well
Reply 17
Original post by KA_P
Sounds like a good idea :hugs: If you feel like it would take a bit of your shoulder, dropping EPQ as well is an option as you only really need 3 A-Levels, but this would be something you should discuss with your school to get their input as well

yeah that’s true I’ve also emailed my head of year so now it’s a waiting game come September about my next steps… I can only hope for the best and given the opportunity I’ll have to put in more effort :,)
yeah that’s true I’ve also emailed my head of year so now it’s a waiting game come September about my next steps… I can only hope for the best and given the opportunity I’ll have to put in more effort :,)

Exactly, we're here for you if you have any more question but other than that we're rooting for you :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending