The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm a little curious about something. Intuitively, what do you think the optimal angle for launching a projectile is if you want it to go as far as possible?

Did you need to think about it?
Original post by Bude8
I'm a little curious about something. Intuitively, what do you think the optimal angle for launching a projectile is if you want it to go as far as possible?

Well I know it's 45 so I can't really say it was my intuition
Original post by Bude8

My teacher asked me this today no joke, yeah I'd say 45 because any bigger and the thing your projecting will go to high up and any lower it's going to hit the ground too soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
My teacher asked me this today no joke, yeah I'd say 45 because any bigger and the thing your projecting will go to high up and any lower it's going to hit the ground too soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. From one level to the same level, yes, it is (and I can show you the proof if you'd like), but from one level to a different one is a different matter...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
It depends. From one level to the same level, yes, it is (and I can show you the proof if you'd like), but from one level to a different one is a different matter...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah I assumed we were talking just horizontal ground, I can do the proof too I literally did it today :cool:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
ah I assumed we were talking just horizontal ground, I can do the proof too I literally did it today :cool:

Awesome :smile: in Maths...? And how did you go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
Awesome :smile: in Maths...? And how did you go about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, working out the horizontal distance in terms of sin2x and then differentiating and putting that equal to 0 giving x = 45

That was such a rubbish explanation of what I've done though hahahahahha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it is 45 degrees, assuming you launch it from ground level. I just wanted to see what people would intuitively think, if they weren't a science person.
Original post by blamethenargles
Congratulations!:hahaha: I still haven't had a hangover yet, I hope I'm immune or something

Hah hangovers arnt great.. i didnt get them that much until after my 18th cause i drink more now than i used to :') but then i have friends who never get them and its so not fair :frown:
Original post by Bude8
Yes, it is 45 degrees, assuming you launch it from ground level. I just wanted to see what people would intuitively think, if they weren't a science person.

I intuitively thought 45 too, but then I thought this might be something of a set up and it ended up being something else.

No science A-levels but I loved Physics and Chemistry at GCSE.
Hey everyone, in need of some advice...
I really want to go to kings for geography, the requirements are: AAB
In AS I achieved: A(Geography) B(English) B(Psychology) D(Biology)
I dropped biology, is there a chance of me getting an offer, supposing that my predicted grades will be AAB ( I don't think I'll get an A in English!) Thanks in advance!
Original post by RevisionMaster
Hey everyone, in need of some advice...
I really want to go to kings for geography, the requirements are: AAB
In AS I achieved: A(Geography) B(English) B(Psychology) D(Biology)
I dropped biology, is there a chance of me getting an offer, supposing that my predicted grades will be AAB ( I don't think I'll get an A in English!) Thanks in advance!

As long as your predicted grades are AAB then you're certainly in with a chance. With ABB there is a fairly high chance that you will achieve AAB if you work hard this year. More important now is your personal statement!
Original post by LeFailFish
As long as your predicted grades are AAB then you're certainly in with a chance. With ABB there is a fairly high chance that you will achieve AAB if you work hard this year. More important now is your personal statement!

Aah thanks! It's so stressful!
Original post by RevisionMaster
Aah thanks! It's so stressful!

I agree - the entire application process is nerve-wracking. But hopefully everything will go OK in the end...
Original post by simranchhugani
Yup I've done the UKCAT.. 2710, so not bad but not brilliant either :/ I'm now considering, imperial, ucl, Bristol and either Sheffield or Southampton, still unsure

Ohh so 677.5 average. Imperial and UCL requrie BMAT so is that an option? The others seem like a good choice too. Try to avoid uni's which care a lot about UKCAT.
If I changed teachers and classes in a subject from AS to A2, is that worth getting my reference to mention? Because I read something on the Manchester website that changing teachers part way through a course counts as mitigating circumstances in their eyes.
If my predicted grades are A*A*A is it worth applying to both Imperial and Manchester\? just incase Imperial hate me :tongue:
Anyone willing to help me out with a quotient rule Q?
Original post by Georgiecat
If I changed teachers and classes in a subject from AS to A2, is that worth getting my reference to mention? Because I read something on the Manchester website that changing teachers part way through a course counts as mitigating circumstances in their eyes.

I think it's quite common between AS and A2 to change classes and teachers, so I doubt it
Original post by Planckton
Anyone willing to help me out with a quotient rule Q?

I'll give it a go.

Latest