The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-level improvement

I got 6As, 1A* and 4Bs at GCSE at a comprehensive. I then attended a grammar sixth form and got 5As at AS. Will universities look down on my GCSE grades or look nicely on the improvement I have made ?(want to do law)
Reply 1
Your GCSE grades are good. Alongside with a good set of A-levels you should have no issues getting into law at uni. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
Your GCSE grades are good. Alongside with a good set of A-levels you should have no issues getting into law at uni. :smile:

Okay thank you, it just seems strange the emphasis they place on GCSE's. Surely A-levels are more accurate indicators. Do they take into account your results in the context of your schools overall performance ? (e.g. surely someone getting 8a*s at a terrible school compared to 11A*s at grammar school wont be judged the same ?)
Your GCSEs are good, your AS are fantastic, you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by j_r112
Okay thank you, it just seems strange the emphasis they place on GCSE's. Surely A-levels are more accurate indicators. Do they take into account your results in the context of your schools overall performance ? (e.g. surely someone getting 8a*s at a terrible school compared to 11A*s at grammar school wont be judged the same ?)

A-levels are looked at more highly. Sadly due to number of applicants I don't they have time to go through everyone and look at the schools they went to, research them ect. But they may have the general idea. :smile:
An upwards trajectory can often mitigate poorer results. Your GCSE results are fine though.
What subjects did you take for AS? What about A2?
Very few Universities actually care about your GCSEs, and those that do only mind when it's a very oversubscribed course. In most cases, you should be absolutely fine.
Reply 8
ok thanks and I did Geography, English lit, History, PE and general studies( doesn't really count haha ), I now do geography, English and History
There's isn't exactly a way you can revise for a General studies. Although the only way I would suggest is going through the past papers and mark schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I didn't really revise much, I just went through past papers and kept up to date on popular news stories. Its important to use examples from real life in answers e.g. I used the Suarez biting incident in an essay question on human aggression.

Quick Reply

Latest