The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I decided this week to do TD scorers 9-fold as my bet because my match results have been horrible. Got 3/9 so far, I could really do with £495.

And I'm also at the Cowboys game in November
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I decided this week to do TD scorers 9-fold as my bet because my match results have been horrible. Got 3/9 so far, I could really do with £495.

And I'm also at the Cowboys game in November

:five: I'm sat at the backass of nowhere, you?
Original post by Motorbiker
:five: I'm sat at the backass of nowhere, you?

Look at the endzone screens... I'm in the first row above one of those! So basically the same as you, I will be needing my spectacles in any event!

Am I being harsh on a rook or does Carr look really horrible under pressure?
(edited 9 years ago)
Who is calling tampas offense. Jesus wept its horrific.
Well, another Wembley blowout. I'm holding out more hope for game 2, that could be really competitive, game 3 is all up in the air; it's all on how good Bortles is by then.
I never know which makes me happier...

Baltimore winning or Pittsburgh losing.
I know that seeing Jacksonville make plays of more than 10 yards makes me pretty happy. And the 49ers having a mare on special teams, nobody who's not a 49er likes the 49ers.

Thinking about the Jags, it would be very like the Chargers to lose a game they have -14.5 handicap line on. They do that way too often. Of course I spoke too soon, the Jags secondary rivals the Cowboys for it's porousity and Rivers is probably going to carve them up all day.

Do like what Bortles is managing to do though! If the Jags get that level of production consistently I like the look of the rest of the season.

Not only are the Jags imploding in the secondary, this means that I'm now predicted to lose my fantasy matchup. This is awful.
(edited 9 years ago)
oh wow, I think I am smashing it this week in our FF
Original post by Wattsy
Ryder Cup won, International Series to come, today is a good day. I can't wait for my trip down to Wembley for the Jags, I hope they put on the same kind of stuff we've seen for the Raiders game.

My Football coach went to both Wembley games last year...and suggested that there was a better atmosphere for the Jaguars game; in terms of 'fan experience he suggested it was better in that game than in the Steelers-Vikings game.
Original post by Wattsy
I know that seeing Jacksonville make plays of more than 10 yards makes me pretty happy. And the 49ers having a mare on special teams, nobody who's not a 49er likes the 49ers.

Thinking about the Jags, it would be very like the Chargers to lose a game they have -14.5 handicap line on. They do that way too often. Of course I spoke too soon, the Jags secondary rivals the Cowboys for it's porousity and Rivers is probably going to carve them up all day.

Do like what Bortles is managing to do though! If the Jags get that level of production consistently I like the look of the rest of the season.

Not only are the Jags imploding in the secondary, this means that I'm now predicted to lose my fantasy matchup. This is awful.

I have to say, I have been impressed with both Bortles and Bridgewater. They are the future...and the teams have to live and die with them. Bortles was forced to throw on the move, pretty much every time according to the San Diego radio network, but they also pointed out how Henne couldn't do with that.

Jags and Vikings can look to the future with confidence.
Original post by jammy4041
My Football coach went to both Wembley games last year...and suggested that there was a better atmosphere for the Jaguars game; in terms of 'fan experience he suggested it was better in that game than in the Steelers-Vikings game.

I have to say, I have been impressed with both Bortles and Bridgewater. They are the future...and the teams have to live and die with them. Bortles was forced to throw on the move, pretty much every time according to the San Diego radio network, but they also pointed out how Henne couldn't do with that.

Jags and Vikings can look to the future with confidence.

Yeah, I watched a little bit of it, the takeaways were that the O-Line is still horrible, Bortles is just better than than Henne at dealing with it. The Jaguars secondary without Jonathan Cyprien is quite terrible and Phillip Rivers knows how to exploit poor defense. Even playing as one-dimensional football as they have, if you screw up in coverage, Rivers is going to take what you give him and then Eddie Royal is going to make your useless tacklers miss and take it to the house.
How on earth did lovie pull that one off :s-smilie:

Should be 3-1
Hope the Patriots pull one out the bag. Arrowhead is a damn hard place to go.
Looks like I'm well and truly beaten in FF this week, this league at least :frown:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Looks like I'm well and truly beaten in FF this week, this league at least :frown:

Unlucky, you had me worried for a bit with Rivers and Royal killing the Jags in the first half, at half time in that game you were predicted to win but with Shady not showing up you were pretty much dead in the water.
Original post by Wattsy
Unlucky, you had me worried for a bit with Rivers and Royal killing the Jags in the first half, at half time in that game you were predicted to win but with Shady not showing up you were pretty much dead in the water.

My RBs let me down badly.

Sproles is making McCoy look a bit silly so far this season.
DeMarco Murray has been my best pick so far, closely followed by Jordy Nelson. Those guys are literally the only reason I'm getting anything done.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
My RBs let me down badly.

Sproles is making McCoy look a bit silly so far this season.

Well done "Red Wright 88" on a deserved victory.

Now let the saltiness begin. I was sunk by some stupid quarterbacking play, which denied my wide recievers the chance to shine. In any other week, I'm certain Brandon Marshall and Julio Jones put up more than 15 combined points.

Like seriously, thanks Jay Cutler. PASS TO MARSHALL....NOT TO GREEN BAY. Of course...it would happen to be that I was I would be facing A-Rod in fantasy...great. When he's constantly given short fields because of Cutler's terrible picks...Touchdowns. Touchdowns everywhere. Grrr. :angry: Julio's numbers were a bit meh, although there were opportunities deep, and he has put up a great amount of points this season. In my IDP league, I was definitely not happy with the 3.80 points (out of 21 predicted points) put up by Pierre Garcon (Of which, 1.00 point on a tackle, from yet another Kirk Cousins interception), but fortunately, the person I was facing had Desean Jackson. 0.90 points (out of 5 projected points). Ouch.

The other thing is, every NFL.com pundit was like, start this player...because x, y and z. Had I followed their advice, I *shouldn't* have started Steve Smith Sr. in my other two teams...like their projections are a heap of steaming..well..you get the rest. In my main IDP league, I know Calvin Johnson was limited by a foot injury, but everyone was like..."sure...Start him with confidence...obvious starter etc...".....to just put up 1.20 points. 12 measly yards. Ugh.

/End Rant.
(edited 9 years ago)
That was one hell of a shamble of performance. Utterly horrendous.
Original post by Malevolent
That was one hell of a shamble of performance. Utterly horrendous.

Did not expect that from the Patriots. At all...like literally, it's the most un-Patriots display you can imagine.

I don't know whether it was the O-line, Tom Brady the receivers, the play calling or a combination of all four, but I think I counted just one completion of throw which travelled more than 10 yards in the air. Most of Tom Brady's yards were short throws and long YACs in garbage time. And that defense...well...it was supposed to be a "bend but don't break defense" but they kept giving up the big play. Run defense for the Patriots has been absolutely atrocious and teams are finding ways to put up the yards on them...which baffles me because you have people like Donte Hightower, Jarad Mayo, Vince Wilfork and Brandon Spikes in that front seven. (Serious question: would you consider them better against the pass or against the run?) The jury's out on Revis...but he won't get too much lee-way, consistently allowing catches.

Patriots fans, is Garropolo the future? And when will that future arrive? I don't believe Brady is finished (despite being a Broncos fan...I hope Brady plays for a while yet)...but it must be an issue weighing heavily, right? I mean, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately business" and a "what can you do moving forward" one as well. Being benched, no matter how much the team is down, in a blowout, must be a first, however.
Reply 9179
Original post by jammy4041
Did not expect that from the Patriots. At all...like literally, it's the most un-Patriots display you can imagine.

I don't know whether it was the O-line, Tom Brady the receivers, the play calling or a combination of all four, but I think I counted just one completion of throw which travelled more than 10 yards in the air. Most of Tom Brady's yards were short throws and long YACs in garbage time. And that defense...well...it was supposed to be a "bend but don't break defense" but they kept giving up the big play. Run defense for the Patriots has been absolutely atrocious and teams are finding ways to put up the yards on them...which baffles me because you have people like Donte Hightower, Jarad Mayo, Vince Wilfork and Brandon Spikes in that front seven. (Serious question: would you consider them better against the pass or against the run?) The jury's out on Revis...but he won't get too much lee-way, consistently allowing catches.

Patriots fans, is Garropolo the future? And when will that future arrive? I don't believe Brady is finished (despite being a Broncos fan...I hope Brady plays for a while yet)...but it must be an issue weighing heavily, right? I mean, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately business" and a "what can you do moving forward" one as well. Being benched, no matter how much the team is down, in a blowout, must be a first, however.

The Pats getting blown out is such a rare occurence it's hard to remember - I looked back through their results and the last regular season blowout (or at the very least, game where a comeback is impossible in the 4th quarter) I can see is against the Saints in 2009, and Brady was benched then too with 5 minutes to go in the 4th Q, so it's not without precedent. Go back again to 2006 and Cassel took over when they got shut out against the Dolphins, so it looks at the very least that Brady gets benched when the game is out of reach (as he should be). What it really shows is how remarkable the Tom Brady era has been that they've only had a couple of blowouts in the last 8 years

Latest