The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Queens :biggrin: have you applied to cambridge too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not yet! Don't you remember me? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Not yet! Don't you remember me? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhh you're the one from the year below right? We had a really long message conversation??
Sometimes I just don't look at usernames ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhhh you're the one from the year below right? We had a really long message conversation??
Sometimes I just don't look at usernames ahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! ^_^
Luckily I have a year before I have to apply, but I'm still following this thread xD
Original post by groovyd97
I know the nature of university economics is very competitive and slightly random, but I have a question. I don't mean this in a cocky way, just trying to be honest and weigh up my options. When I say guaranteed I mean that the likelihood is high..

Am I basically guaranteed (:s-smilie:) an offer from at least one of these unis: Warwick, Bristol, UCL, Nottingham
with AAAA at AS level in maths, chem, econ and further maths - A*A*A* A2 predictions - 8A* 3A at GCSE and a good personal statement and reference.

You aren't guaranteed an offer from anywhere for econ at the top unis. Notts and Bristol are around 10 applicants per place, UCL is about 15 and LSE around 20.

Yes your chances are good but if your personal statement isn't up to scratch there is still a chance you could get no offers from them. UCL and LSE especially put a HUGE amount of emphasis on the personal statement since practically all applicants have straight As at AS, A* predictions at A2 and solid GCSEs.

I'm in my first year at UCL studying straight econ and from what I've seen talking to people so far, very few people here actually got A*AA. I would say the average would be 2/3A*s, and nearly everyone has done 4 or more A2s.
I got an A*AB prediction and i'm worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer for an A*AA course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Yep! ^_^
Luckily I have a year before I have to apply, but I'm still following this thread xD

Yeah loads of time to think and prepare woo :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
I got an A*AB prediction and i'm worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer for an A*AA course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which A*AA unis are you thinking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which A*AA unis are you thinking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol/notts/bath

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bristol/notts/bath

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there anyway they can change it from an A to a B? I'd say it's less of an issue with them than it would be with the top 5 but obviously it would be better if you were predicted A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there anyway they can change it from an A to a B? I'd say it's less of an issue with them than it would be with the top 5 but obviously it would be better if you were predicted A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, yeah im trying hard to bump it to an A but my teacher is reluctant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, yeah im trying hard to bump it to an A but my teacher is reluctant

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subject is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 471
Original post by Bloxorus
You aren't guaranteed an offer from anywhere for econ at the top unis. Notts and Bristol are around 10 applicants per place, UCL is about 15 and LSE around 20.

Yes your chances are good but if your personal statement isn't up to scratch there is still a chance you could get no offers from them. UCL and LSE especially put a HUGE amount of emphasis on the personal statement since practically all applicants have straight As at AS, A* predictions at A2 and solid GCSEs.

I'm in my first year at UCL studying straight econ and from what I've seen talking to people so far, very few people here actually got A*AA. I would say the average would be 2/3A*s, and nearly everyone has done 4 or more A2s.

Do you know if ucl take account of what school you come from?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
Do you know if ucl take account of what school you come from?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't know for definite but I would guess they'd have higher expectations if you're from a really good school.
Reply 473
Original post by Bloxorus
No I don't know for definite but I would guess they'd have higher expectations if you're from a really good school.

Okay thanks:smile:
Which subject is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Biology :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham or Bath university for Economics? And for graduate prospects in Investment Banking

Well that's better than it being in maths or economics :smile:
5A* at GCSE, AAA at AS, A*A*A predictions. No further maths.

92% in Maths, 93% in Econ, 80% in my last :frown:.

What are my chances to get into Warwick for Economics? My teacher said my personal statement was good, I think my references should be good.

Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RAV 123
5A* at GCSE, AAA at AS, A*A*A predictions. No further maths.

92% in Maths, 93% in Econ, 80% in my last :frown:.

What are my chances to get into Warwick for Economics? My teacher said my personal statement was good, I think my references should be good.

Thanks.

Warwick want an A in the AS you dropped

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 479
Hey everyone, I need some help regarding GCSEs. I only got 7 As and 4 Bs at GCSE and am worried they are going to restrict from going to unis such as bristol and nottingham for economics. I got AABB in my AS results (Maths Economics Spanish Psychology) and am predicted A*AA at A2. Do I have any chance of getting an offer from these unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending