The Student Room Group

Why is germany so successful?

Throughout history, the world's best minds have come from Germany. The world's best Scientists, musicians, politicians, inventors etc are all German. Hitler almost conquered the UK (He took the channel Islands) and he certainly would have had it not been for the Americans. I wonder what Europe would be like today under the influence of the Nazis?

Germany is a powerhouse and is definitely Europe's leader. It's economy is the largest in Europe and it has one of the best living qualities in the world.

Surely all these people coming from Germany must have some kind of genetic advantage because surely it can't be chance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
only reason why eur isn't getting annihilated by the usd. Everyone is smart.
I feel like the pedantic nature of German language and grammar is reflected in, what seems to be, very structured and disciplined lives that most Germans lead.
Reply 3
Original post by The PM's guilt
Throughout history, the world's best minds have come from Germany.

Nonsense. What about the Greek, French and Chinese philosophers?

The world's best Scientists, musicians, politicians, inventors etc are all German.
Nobel prizes, by country, descending:
USA 353
UK 117
Germany 102
France 66
Canada 23
Austria 22

Musicians? Heard any German pop?

Politicians? Name three.

Inventors? Without using Google, name three.

Hitler almost conquered the UK
No, he didn't. His air force got a kicking, his navy wasn't up to the job and there's no guarantee their army would have succeeded in establishing a beachhead to support a successful invasion.

(He took the channel Islands)

No he didn't. He was given them to prevent them being flattened in a futile defence.

and he certainly would have had it not been for the Americans.
Well, it's amazing what you can achieve when you use slave labour and steal the resources of an entire continent to fund your war machine.

Surely all these people coming from Germany must have some kind of genetic advantage because surely it can't be chance.
Indeed Germany does have a genetic advantage. By murdering all their physically and mentally handicapped it has resulted in an ongoing reduced social welfare burden and this has been a financial and human resource advantage ever since.

Also, the Marshall Plan also gave them a huge advantage at the end of WWII; while other countries were rebuilding, America rebuilt Germany. Meanwhile the UK had to pay a vast war debt to the USA (which I think we only finished paying off in the 1990s) since we hired them to fight with us.

The reunification of Germany also gave them a huge boost in combining West and East markets and the industry of West Germany with the mineral resources and cheap labour of East Germany.

So, Germany is a large country, with lots of resources, a high population, which was given a boost in the 1940s and 1950s while neighbouring countries were held back. No wonder they're doing well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Good genetics...high IQ and good work ethic. Same with the Jews...they will always clash because they advance quicker than the rest.

What Germany have done in the last 100yrs is ridiculous, same with the Jews...both come back from annihilation to be super powerful, time and time again.

People make the country rather than the country make the people...put these two groups anywhere on the planet apart from the north and south pole and they will thrive.
Original post by Simes

USA 353
UK 117
Germany 102
France 66
Canada 23
Austria 22

Politicians? Name three.

No, he didn't. His air force got a kicking, his navy wasn't up to the job and there's no guarantee their army would have succeeded in establishing a beachhead to support a successful invasion.

No he didn't. He was given them to prevent them being flattened in a futile defence.

Well, it's amazing what you can achieve when you use slave labour and steal the resources of an entire continent to fund your war machine.

Indeed Germany does have a genetic advantage. By murdering all their physically and mentally handicapped it has resulted in an ongoing reduced social welfare burden and this has been a financial and human resource advantage ever since.

Also, the Marshall Plan also gave them a huge advantage at the end of WWII; while other countries were rebuilding, America rebuilt Germany. Meanwhile the UK had to pay a vast war debt to the USA (which I think we only finished paying off in the 1990s) since we hired them to fight with us.

The reunification of Germany also gave them a huge boost in combining West and East markets and the industry of West Germany with the mineral resources and cheap labour of East Germany.

So, Germany is a large country, with lots of resources, a high population, which was given a boost in the 1940s and 1950s while neighbouring countries were held back. No wonder they're doing well.

Meh, check before Nazism and we were number one. How many Europeans left for the US then and established the power houses there?
Romans had the "UK" lets talk about them instead.
All these posts are *******s.

Germany is successful because it got tonnes of investment from the US after WW2 as part of the Marshall plan. Life isn't fair.

The same goes for Japan. Why did Japan get so advanced so quickly? They got a crap tonne of investment from the US.

In addition the EU benefits Germany (and France) greatly due to the Common Agricultural Policy and European Coal and Steel Community (amongst other policies) being set up precisely in the name of their interests as the agricultural and industrial heartland of Europe.

If you want to look at why Germany was so heavily involved in the history of modern warfare, it is because Germany used to be significantly bigger, in fact an empire called the Holy Roman Empire which covered most of central Europe. The biggest kingdom was known as Prussia which spread into Eastern Europe. The country known as 'Germany' is a recent thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SarcasticMel
Meh, check before Nazism and we were number one. How many Europeans left for the US then and established the power houses there?
Meh, check before human global colonisation and the Africans were number one. How many Africans left for Europe then and established tribes and nations there?
Original post by Simes
Meh, check before human global colonisation and the Africans were number one. How many Africans left for Europe then and established tribes and nations there?

You are comparing a shift in the last 100 years to evolution?

Cool beans.
Original post by Simes

USA 353
UK 117
Germany 102
France 66
Canada 23
Austria 22

Politicians? Name three.

I am half German but was born in Guernsey the second largest channel island and the nazis occupied the Islands during WW2. The islands were not liberated until at least a month after the war finished so The nazis did actually have a very strong chance of getting to the UK due to the proximity of the Channel Islands to the mainland. I also believe Germans have a strong work ethic that has to be genetic due to never myself living in Germany but one of my better qualities is being hardworking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Germany has and always has had a great education system, valuing both academic and vocational training.
Original post by trad1998
I am half German but was born in Guernsey the second largest channel island and the nazis occupied the Islands during WW2. The islands were not liberated until at least a month after the war finished so The nazis did actually have a very strong chance of getting to the UK due to the proximity of the Channel Islands to the mainland. I also believe Germans have a strong work ethic that has to be genetic due to never myself living in Germany but one of my better qualities is being hardworking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you think you have a genetic predisposition to being hard-working because you're half German, you're seriously retarded.
Throughout history, the world's best minds have come from Germany. The world's best Scientists, musicians, politicians, inventors etc are all German. Hitler almost conquered the UK (He took the channel Islands) and he certainly would have had it not been for the Americans. I wonder what Europe would be like today under the influence of the Nazis?

Germany is a powerhouse and is definitely Europe's leader. It's economy is the largest in Europe and it has one of the best living qualities in the world.

Basically the simply answer is that Germany was in ruins (Britain and France less so) so when the USA gave us all a load of money they spent it wisely from the ground up and with an export focus. The UK never did anything groundbreaking beyond creating a functional welfare and health system and we never really focused on trade.
Reply 14
Germans are efficient.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
If you think you have a genetic predisposition to being hard-working because you're half German, you're seriously retarded.

I disagree. Do you not wonder my the most common characteristic of a German is the ability to work hard? It has to be something inherited due to the fact that I have never lived in Germany. To rephrase I believe maybe Germans have more of a genetic potential to develop hard working characteristics that link in with being focused etc. maybe because of their Nordic origins that meant a focused hunter gatherer attitude was essential. And so with the right environment they can continue to develop this once "survival instinct" that has turned into being a common hard worker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, in europe , they always come after uk and france
Moved to intl :smile:
Reply 18
The islands were not liberated until at least a month after the war finished so The nazis did actually have a very strong chance of getting to the UK due to the proximity of the Channel Islands to the mainland.
No way.

That would mean stuffing all the invasion force onto the Channel Islands then crossing from there - two crossings. We'd have bombed the invasion force to buggery before they'd finished constructing it.

There is no way the Germans could have invaded the UK from the Channel Islands.
Reply 19
because of their Nordic origins that meant a focused hunter gatherer attitude was essential. And so with the right environment they can continue to develop this once "survival instinct"
Stamping about in the countryside (typically Poland, France and Belgium) waving your weapons and shouting a lot are indeed good traits when hunting.

:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending