The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tasha96
I cant do this. :cry2:

Missed this- you can do this! It's hard but you can :hugs:
I forget who studies what here, are there any med or pharmacy or physiology type students here that could look at something (fairly basic) and tell me if it's correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
literally just **** this. such a crisis
Original post by Odd socks
I forget who studies what here, are there any med or pharmacy or physiology type students here that could look at something (fairly basic) and tell me if it's correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, yep, I can have a look :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was not meant to be anonymous :P
Original post by SomeStudent
That was not meant to be anonymous :P

Thanks so much!

I think I've attached it to this post :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

think Mcdreamy, and i want to say snowflake to medcine stuff i think
Thanks so much!

I'm a first year and had a lecture on drug targets today, I know some of those words :biggrin::tongue:
Original post by PandaWho
think Mcdreamy, and i want to say snowflake to medcine stuff i think

Ah thanks :smile: If they're around tomorrow I'll ask them if they can advise me on this. I think its actually a really simple topic it just confuses me a bit :s-smilie:

Original post by Anonymous #2
I'm a first year and had a lecture on drug targets today, I know some of those words :biggrin::tongue:

Are you a med student? I'm doing pharmacy but I'm terrible at it :tongue: The fact that I seem to have gotten some of the words right is promising though!

Are you a med student? I'm doing pharmacy but I'm terrible at it :tongue: The fact that I seem to have gotten some of the words right is promising though!

Nah, neuropsychology :tongue: It was in a biopsychology lecture.
Thanks so much!

You're very welcome! G-proteins, ah, I miss studying pharmacology modules for some reason :tongue:

I've added couple of stuff and changed a lot of stuff in your table. I wasn't exactly sure what the aim of this work was i.e. essay, notes? But I hope the stuff I added helps!

Edit: I forgot to add, adding pictures (of mechanism of Gs/i/o) will help, a lot! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by superwolf
:clap2:

:proud:

How are your plans to do occupational therapy going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're very welcome! G-proteins, ah, I miss studying pharmacology modules for some reason :tongue:

I've added couple of stuff and changed a lot of stuff in your table. I wasn't exactly sure what the aim of this work was i.e. essay, notes? But I hope the stuff I added helps!

Edit: I forgot to add, adding pictures (of mechanism of Gs/i/o) will help, a lot! :smile:

Wow you went to so much effort, thank you!

But this makes me feel so stupid, I got so much wrong :frown: I was trying to make notes that I could understand because I'm really bad at this module. Well I'm really bad at the whole degree to be honest.

Can I ask what year you're in? Maybe some of this is just more advanced than I'm expected to know at this stage.. :s-smilie:
Oops that was me ^
Original post by Anonymous
Wow you went to so much effort, thank you!

But this makes me feel so stupid, I got so much wrong :frown: I was trying to make notes that I could understand because I'm really bad at this module. Well I'm really bad at the whole degree to be honest.

Can I ask what year you're in? Maybe some of this is just more advanced than I'm expected to know at this stage.. :s-smilie:

Happy to help!

To be honest, you didn't get much wrong, it was just simplified so I added stuff. And I think with the table you just accidentally got Gq and Gi mixed up, as the mechanisms for the adrenoceptors was right.

I've graduated :smile: I think your notes should be at your level, as it gets more complicated than that. However, I do have to say when I was first going through pharmacology... well, I hated it :tongue: haha, I had to go over lectures over again and look at examples & illustrations to get my head around it... I even went on Youtube to see how G-proteins work.. this video was excellent and helped me clarify few things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_0EcUr_txk

With the table, I wasn't sure what you were aiming at. The adrenoceptors have many many many effects, which heavily depend on where they are located i.e. in the heart, smooth muscle, gall bladder, adipose tissue etc. Which is why maybe the table confused you.

In future if you want to make a table, separate it by its location as well... i.e. heart - receptors in the heart and their effects.

The main thing to remember would be Gs/i/q and their mechanism i.e Gs stimulates AdCyc... Gi inhibits... and Gq activates PLC... and so on. Because these mechanisms will stay the same wherever the receptors are.

P.s. I've attached a picture of receptor interacting with Gq... hope that helps.
Oops that was me ^

And the above post was mine! hehe. Didn't realise I have to untick the anon button each time I post.
The picture that was attached to the other post: Gq signalling.jpg
Original post by Anonymous
Happy to help!

To be honest, you didn't get much wrong, it was just simplified so I added stuff. And I think with the table you just accidentally got Gq and Gi mixed up, as the mechanisms for the adrenoceptors was right.

Ah okay, that's a bit more reassuring.. Getting so stressed about my course already haha. Yeah I mixed those up by accident :colondollar:

I've graduated :smile: I think your notes should be at your level, as it gets more complicated than that. However, I do have to say when I was first going through pharmacology... well, I hated it :tongue: haha, I had to go over lectures over again and look at examples & illustrations to get my head around it... I even went on Youtube to see how G-proteins work.. this video was excellent and helped me clarify few things up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_0EcUr_txk

So I should know as much as you put in with the corrections? Thanks for recommending the video, I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning :smile:

With the table, I wasn't sure what you were aiming at. The adrenoceptors have many many many effects, which heavily depend on where they are located i.e. in the heart, smooth muscle, gall bladder, adipose tissue etc. Which is why maybe the table confused you.

In future if you want to make a table, separate it by its location as well... i.e. heart - receptors in the heart and their effects.

Yeah the table ended up being a bit crap I think. My lecturer told me to make a table to help me understand it but I did a terrible job.. I'll try making another and separating by location :smile:

The main thing to remember would be Gs/i/q and their mechanism i.e Gs stimulates AdCyc... Gi inhibits... and Gq activates PLC... and so on. Because these mechanisms will stay the same wherever the receptors are.

Thanks, so I've at least got a basic understanding of what those do?

P.s. I've attached a picture of receptor interacting with Gq... hope that helps.

And the above post was mine! hehe. Didn't realise I have to untick the anon button each time I post.
The picture that was attached to the other post:

Oh that's really helpful actually! thanks so much :hugs:
Reply 8777
It'd be 18 months today and 3 months No Contact since things ended in such a messy manner, still miss her, she would have wanted a cute little half-anniversary...been such a ****ing idiot :frown:

chat with the mods discussing ban or change in account tomorrow too.

can people tell me if they think my TSR thread post history has even slightly improved since my ban from R'ships and temp ban over summer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh that's really helpful actually! thanks so much :hugs:

No worries!

So I should know as much as you put in with the corrections? Thanks for recommending the video, I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning

Well I didn't study pharmacy, but the notes you have made so far I was introduced to in year 1. We didn't have to know the ALL effects of the adrenoceptors, just the most relevant i.e. heart - beta-receptors and alpha-2 Rs (vasoconstriction). Smooth muscle was relevant as well. But gall bladder/kidney and all the super specific locations, well we didn't really need to know it in such detail.

Thanks, so I've at least got a basic understanding of what those do?
Yes, based on the notes those mechanisms... are pretty much it. They get a tiny more specific, but I'm not sure whether you need to know that - perhaps have a look at your lecture notes and see if there's any extra on there.

Good luck with pharmacy, it is a tough subject, but I'm sure with lots of practice you'll do well xD don't be disheartened when things get tough.. take a step back and go back to it later :smile:
Original post by Meaty_man
:hugs: Not really, i went to try and sign on to a new GP practice today but they were full or something. Gonna try a few more tomorrow and see if i get any luck. Had a nice chat to someone from mind though, the people from Mind are always real nice. Didn't know you could go in and just chat with someone when you're feeling like death :tongue:

good luck, hopefully you find one! that's good, Mind are there to help so is good they are helping you! :smile:

Latest