The Student Room Group

How hard is FP2

I have currently done C1-C4, M1-2, and achieved an A* in Maths

I am deciding between AS & A2 Further Maths, and AS FM includes FP1, S1, D1 - which I find decent, FP1 is very simple and fun in my opinion

If I decide to sit A2 Further Maths, I'll have 10 exams and 4 A-Levels (Maths, FM, Economics and History), but what is worrying me is how hard FP2 is

Which topics of FP2 are hard? And are S2 and D2 hard too?

If we started FP2 today, and I have 3 hours of FP2 a week in school approximately when will we finish the course (We are starting Chapter 2 tomorrow, as we completed all of Chapter 1 today)

Thanks
I cannot say much for FP2 because I did not take it, but from what my friends said it was quite challenging for them but this could be attributed to the fact that their FP2 teacher was a git.

I did both S2 and D2 and they are not hard. You can definitely do those if you did a fair amount of practice.
FP2 is harder than all the C1-C4 modules and much harder than FP1 (which in all honesty is easier than C3)

I would still say M2 is harder than FP2, just in the way the questions are structured.

So overall its not that bad, if you can handle M2, you should be fine with FP2.
Reply 3
I wouldn't say M2 is easier than FP2 but with hard work, the jump from the harder applied modules and FP1 to FP2 is no harder than the jump from C1/2 to C3/4. I can't say anything about D2, but S2 is a joke.
Original post by Damask-
I wouldn't say M2 is easier than FP2 but with hard work, the jump from the harder applied modules and FP1 to FP2 is no harder than the jump from C1/2 to C3/4. I can't say anything about D2, but S2 is a joke.

This is my module "hardness" ranking, from the ones I have done....

Easiest first, hardest last.

C1,S1,D1,C2,FP1,M1,S2,C3,C4,FP2,S3,M2

I have friends who did M3 and M4 and I would most likely put them after M2.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by MrHappyChappy

I would say: C1, D1, S1, C2, M1, FP1, C3, S2, C4, M2, S3, FP2, FP3.

I haven't done M3 or 4 either
Reply 6
I took FP2 during my A levels, it's definitely harder than the other modules but it's manageable provided you put in the appropriate amount of work.
My sequence
C2,M1,FP1,C1(surprising?, no, no calcaulator is a problem),M2,C3(hate trigonometry, prefer vectors)=C4,S1,M3,FP2,M4,FP3
Reply 8
So far I have done 'roots of polynomials' and 'complex numbers' and half of 'summations of finite series' from FP2 and it is easy, maybe because I expect it to be hard and am working harder on it.
Reply 9
Original post by A193

I am deciding between AS & A2 Further Maths, and AS FM includes FP1, S1, D1 - which I find decent, FP1 is very simple and fun in my opinion

If I decide to sit A2 Further Maths, I'll have 10 exams and 4 A-Levels (Maths, FM, Economics and History), but what is worrying me is how hard FP2 is

If we started FP2 today, and I have 3 hours of FP2 a week in school approximately when will we finish the course (We are starting Chapter 2 tomorrow, as we completed all of Chapter 1 today)

Thanks

It depends on the board ...

If it is Edexcel you may find this chart useful

EDEXCEL A LEVEL UNITS.pdf
Original post by A193

Thanks

I would say that FP2 is a bit harder than M2 & C4, but not by much. If you were confident with those modules, I'd say that you'd find FP2 OK. I can't really say which topic is hardest, but the biggest topic is Complex Numbers - I find that it can drag a bit, like C3 Trig.
If you have an A* in maths then you can do it definitely. I took the module and didn't even go to any lessons as they were at 3-4pm on a friday so I would've had to wait 5 hours for that one lesson. No thank you.
Original post by MrHappyChappy

m3 is easier then m2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Baylo97
So far I have done 'roots of polynomials' and 'complex numbers' and half of 'summations of finite series' from FP2 and it is easy, maybe because I expect it to be hard and am working harder on it.

That's all FP2?

That's my FP1
Original post by A193

Thanks

What is your purpose in taking the AS

If it is to improve your maths skills for university I would suggest FP1, FP2 and S1 or FP1,S1, S2 as the AS - the choice depending on what you are going to do at university

Quick Reply

Latest