The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4920
Is anyone even remotely looking forward to the next two games? Can't see anything other than two sound batterings. From the swashbuckling side of last season we've turned into a rudderless pile of **** this. There have been literally no positives to our football this season.
Original post by Pn94
Is anyone even remotely looking forward to the next two games? Can't see anything other than two sound batterings. From the swashbuckling side of last season we've turned into a rudderless pile of **** this. There have been literally no positives to our football this season.

I haven't looked forward to any games during these past few weeks since we've been playing absolute ****. It's gotten to the point that as long as RM an CFC don't beat us by more that a 3 goal margin I'll take those results. It's been torrid being a LFC supporter this season.

Having said that, football's a funny game and anything can happen in the next two games... :moon:
Tbh Johnson was the one who initially conceded possession when in a good position that allowed Newcastle to counter? He's so so ****.
Original post by Pn94
Is anyone even remotely looking forward to the next two games?

Absolutely not.
Original post by Pn94

we were bricking it about playing at home to madrid; imagine how it'll go playing away...
not to mention how chelsea are gonna rape us at anfield with costa back.

the fact is that we really have been lucky.
we have 14 points - we deserved the wins against spurs and WBA but we got lucky against soton and completely fluked it against QPR.
the unfortunate draw against everton cancels a little bit of it out but looking at our performances so far this season, i'm amazed that we're still top half...

i know rival fans joke about our transfer signings but they're right.
markovic isn't even being played in the squad.
lallana doesn't impose himself enough and isn't played nearly as much as he should be.
lovren doesn't have nearly enough presence in our defence.
can is still young but he needs to make more of a physical, dominating effecrt in midfield.
lambert doesn't get enough gametime.
balotelli.....needs no words.
the only signings that have impressed me have been moreno and manquillo, yet somehow our defence is worse than ever.

but ultimately it doesn't matter what players we have - if rodgers keeps selecting the wrong ones and keeps playing a single striker system, we're doomed.
everybody seems to know this but him; he's wenger 2.0.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Tbh Johnson was the one who initially conceded possession when in a good position that allowed Newcastle to counter? He's so so ****.

Yep, Johnson's typical cut into his left foot and try score a worldie. He was in a good position aswell which just makes it even worse....
remember a few months back when we were all raving about our run of "easy games" (including me)?

loss to villa
loss to west ham
draw to everton
win against WBA
win against QPR (lucky)
draw to hull
loss to newcastle

8/21 points from a relatively "easy" run of fixtures.
wow.
Reply 4927
Original post by Lúcio
but ultimately it doesn't matter what players we have - if rodgers keeps selecting the wrong ones and keeps playing a single striker system, we're doomed.
everybody seems to know this but him; he's wenger 2.0.

In what universe is Brenton Wenger 2.0?

Wenger has a track record (albeit a long time ago) of winning and winning big. With the exception of Ozil, he's also averse to spending.

Brenton has no track record of winning anything. He's had enormous amounts of money to spend and has spent it very poorly.

The only similarity I can think of is that in recent times Wenger tends to deliver the same results (3rd-4th) regardless of what team he has or how much it cost. Brenton looks on track to be consistently delivering 6-7th having spent over £200m in a less than 3 seasons.
Reply 4928
No worries guys, Jam is sure you'll get 3rd. Sturridge won't leave for a CL club in the summer, nor will Sterling. You'll sign Falcao ADM and Sanchez and they'll boost you to the title. Reus is coming too. Suarez didn't even do much in the big games, you won't miss him :moon:

You've been as bad as Man Utd under moyes lately.
Original post by Clip

Wenger has a track record (albeit a long time ago) of winning and winning big. With the exception of Ozil, he's also averse to spending.

Brenton has no track record of winning anything. He's had enormous amounts of money to spend and has spent it very poorly.

The only similarity I can think of is that in recent times Wenger tends to deliver the same results (3rd-4th) regardless of what team he has or how much it cost. Brenton looks on track to be consistently delivering 6-7th having spent over £200m in a less than 3 seasons.

Wenger has been managing for longer than Rodgers so its unfair to compare them at all. It's like comparing Robben to Sterling, the latter is still young. Think what Lucio was trying to get at is the similarities in stubborness in the starting lineup and tactics.
Tbh United have been equally as poor this season hence the points totals and breaking the british record(or even world record) for most money spent in a year in the premier league while having easy fixtures? Don't think any United fan has the right to criticize Liverpool. United in reality should be winning the league or be where Southampton are currently with how much they've spent.

Anyway I won't be surprised if Chelsea draw to you lot anyway. We haven't even been playing at 100% this season and bar for Maribor(lol) we've not dominated a team from start to finish. Quite disappointed that the rest of the league are so terrible because we're playing at 80% most games.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4931
Original post by samir12
Wenger has been managing for longer than Rodgers so its unfair to compare them at all. It's like comparing Robben to Sterling, the latter is still young. Think what Lucio was trying to get at is the similarities in stubborness in the starting lineup and tactics.

At the same stage in his career (as Rodgers), Wenger had won the French League and Cup.
Original post by sr90
This will always be my favourite.

I thought the team's passing (other than the tika taka between the back 4) was dreadful
Original post by samba
You've been as bad as Man Utd under moyes lately.

Which is better than United are currently doing under Van Gaal :teehee:
Original post by Clip

love how the only thing you take from my massive post is a comparison between wenger and rodgers...

Original post by samir12

precisely; to the above poster, samir has understood what i meant.
maybe wenger mk2 would've been a better phrase to use - rodgers isn't better than wenger, but they can be very similar at times.
as samir said, stubborness with player selection and naivety with formations/general tactics is the biggest weakness of both managers

Original post by jam277
Tbh United have been equally as poor this season hence the points totals and breaking the british record(or even world record) for most money spent in a year in the premier league while having easy fixtures? Don't think any United fan has the right to criticize Liverpool. United in reality should be winning the league or be where Southampton are currently with how much they've spent.

Anyway I won't be surprised if Chelsea draw to you lot anyway. We haven't even been playing at 100% this season and bar for Maribor(lol) we've not dominated a team from start to finish. Quite disappointed that the rest of the league are so terrible because we're playing at 80% most games.

yeah but united fans won't care that they spent all that money.
they're certainly underperforming but with players like di maria and falcao, they'll be rolling teams over soon enough.

as for chelsea, i know you love to hype us up but i can't see any way that we will get anything next weekend at anfield.
you're far, far superior to us in every single position with a better manager.
with our recent form, even at 50% you'd probably still beat us...
i agree - chelsea are winning games but they could still go up a level.
it's pretty embarrassing how much better you guys are than everybody else.
Reply 4935
Tbh, I think I've more or less accepted that we've become a Spurs level yo-yo club who will not be challenging at the top end every year. At least until we get owners on the level of City/Chelsea, whom only want the best.
It's stupid the money you spent, Can I like though and he really should be starting. Balotelli needs a striker next to him but simple as Borini isn't good enough.

Team is bereft of confidence and tactics have been suspect since Suarez left. I think you'll sort yourselves out sooner or later. Btw can we take Sturridge?
Reply 4937
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Which is better than United are currently doing under Van Gaal :teehee:

True dat. The difference is at least we look like we're [slowly] sorting things out now. Tbf to Moyes, his away record with us was good, it was his home record and clueless demeanor that killed it.

If you plotted our performances and Liverpools over the course of the season, I think things are looking up for us more than you.
Original post by samba
If you plotted our performances and Liverpools over the course of the season, I think things are looking up for us more than you.

for sure.
we only have sturridge to return and transfers to finish "bedding in".
once your team gets a bit of attacking chemistry and defensvie solidity you'll be hard to compete with.

our hope was to get far enough ahead of you by january that we'd still finish above even if you brought in some quality players.
that plan went down well...
Rafa will be back come July, don't worry lads.

The ship will be steadied.

Quick Reply

Latest