The Student Room Group

Feeling isolated and lonely at University

Hi there so prior to starting at university I was very excited and hopeful about the prospect of it and now a few months in I'm absolutely hating it.
I didn't get a place in halls and I feel that has isolated me, I haven't been invited to any parties/nights out etc and I haven't got very close to people. Now don't get me wrong I haven't isolated myself or been quiet and shy in fact I'd say the opposite I'm quite outgoing and chatty but I still haven't made any close friends and uni just seems really cliquey and difficult to navigate socially. My confidence has been knocked and I feel quite depressed about it all. I left school a year early so my old friends are still at school and to be frank haven't kept in touch with me much :frown:
Original post by nutellalover17
Hi there so prior to starting at university I was very excited and hopeful about the prospect of it and now a few months in I'm absolutely hating it.
I didn't get a place in halls and I feel that has isolated me, I haven't been invited to any parties/nights out etc and I haven't got very close to people. Now don't get me wrong I haven't isolated myself or been quiet and shy in fact I'd say the opposite I'm quite outgoing and chatty but I still haven't made any close friends and uni just seems really cliquey and difficult to navigate socially. My confidence has been knocked and I feel quite depressed about it all. I left school a year early so my old friends are still at school and to be frank haven't kept in touch with me much :frown:

At least you have your Nutella. :biggrin:
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
At least you have your Nutella. :biggrin:

Have you considered a career in comedy?
Just keep talking to more people. Me, I couldn't "chat" to save my life so I'm not bothered about having no friends

Try joining in social clubs, societies or activities at the University you might make friends there? Or you could speak to someone in lecture, or seminar and then naturally ask them if they want to grab a coffee after lesson( Although, Mochas are so much better ! :wink: ) or you could even speak to student services about your problem, and the Universities normally run a befriending programme for students who have the same problem as yourself because its quite a common problem
I'd advise you to

1) Text your old school friends - it would be nice to keep in contact, even it's via text :smile: good skill to have, as when you leave uni you'll have to keep in contact with uni friends somehow
2) Join societies - and before you leave them, PLAN something with a group, or one or two people. That's how most people make friends, after lectures/society socials and are able to bond better. Even if it's just one person :smile: you'll be introduced to many friends of friends, and that's how you will make more friends :smile:
3) You say you haven't been invited to nights out. Yet again, maybe you should do that. When there's a student night out, text bunch of friends from the same course or society and see who's up for it. Make it obvious that it's a group text i.e. start with "Hello everyone! So I was wondering, who's up for...". You'll get few no/yes and some maybes (this group generally wants to know who else is turning up - if there are few they know, they might come along).

Even if 3) doesn't work out, the ones you texted know you're up for going out, so when they get invited by somebody else, they might invite you also :smile: hope this helps.
Have you considered a career in comedy?

A bit of light heartedness never hurt anyone.:rolleyes:
Original post by Troytheboy
Try joining in social clubs, societies or activities at the University you might make friends there? Or you could speak to someone in lecture, or seminar and then naturally ask them if they want to grab a coffee after lesson( Although, Mochas are so much better ! :wink: ) or you could even speak to student services about your problem, and the Universities normally run a befriending programme for students who have the same problem as yourself because its quite a common problem

Thanks for responding :h: That sounds like a good idea, I'll try out some societies. I always feel like I'm bothering someone if I do that haha but I'll make more of an effort to do that (I quite agree about the mochas btw!). If the issue persists I'll try talking to someone
Original post by SomeStudent
I'd advise you to

1) Text your old school friends - it would be nice to keep in contact, even it's via text :smile: good skill to have, as when you leave uni you'll have to keep in contact with uni friends somehow
2) Join societies - and before you leave them, PLAN something with a group, or one or two people. That's how most people make friends, after lectures/society socials and are able to bond better. Even if it's just one person :smile: you'll be introduced to many friends of friends, and that's how you will make more friends :smile:
3) You say you haven't been invited to nights out. Yet again, maybe you should do that. When there's a student night out, text bunch of friends from the same course or society and see who's up for it. Make it obvious that it's a group text i.e. start with "Hello everyone! So I was wondering, who's up for...". You'll get few no/yes and some maybes (this group generally wants to know who else is turning up - if there are few they know, they might come along).

Even if 3) doesn't work out, the ones you texted know you're up for going out, so when they get invited by somebody else, they might invite you also :smile: hope this helps.

I have really tried to keep in contact...texting..calling...social media etc but it becomes difficult when the other people just stop making an effort to do the same back and its easier for them to stay in touch with one another cause they see everyone at school everyday so I don't really think its an option anymore :frown: sorry to sound so negative
I'm definitely going to join some societies and I'll use your tatics there!
Yeah I probably should try making an effort to sort out nights out myself and see what happens from there!
Thanks for responding :h: That sounds like a good idea, I'll try out some societies. I always feel like I'm bothering someone if I do that haha but I'll make more of an effort to do that (I quite agree about the mochas btw!). If the issue persists I'll try talking to someone

Remember the befrienders volunteered for the service, they would be more than happy to help you! And I'm glad you agree with me, power for the mochas :biggrin:. Good luck with everything, hope it improves!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending