The Student Room Group

A levels are too much for me

Yeah I know this is a cliché but I'm struggling. I'm struggling to the point that I get back from 6th form at 6pm and work until around 2:30am just to try to get my homework and myself in check. As a Year 12 student I know, I've just started and it's going to get a lot harder, but I just can't handle it any more I've broken down just crying because there is just so much. I had a family thing tonight - which I couldn't get out of, I tried, - which meant that I couldn't start my work until 11pm and considering I have so much to do, all due in for tomorrow I'm just sat here crying and have had enough I can't cope with all of this stress. Sorry this is just a massive rant, but can anyone help me with like revision or coping mechanisms for this if you can?
Can you pinpoint what it is in particular that's causing this stress? A certain subject? Seek support from teachers and mentors, they're always willing to help you out, after all in the long term it looks good for them and they genuinely want you to do well for yourself.
Original post by KaylaB
Yeah I know this is a cliché but I'm struggling. I'm struggling to the point that I get back from 6th form at 6pm and work until around 2:30am just to try to get my homework and myself in check. As a Year 12 student I know, I've just started and it's going to get a lot harder, but I just can't handle it any more I've broken down just crying because there is just so much. I had a family thing tonight - which I couldn't get out of, I tried, - which meant that I couldn't start my work until 11pm and considering I have so much to do, all due in for tomorrow I'm just sat here crying and have had enough I can't cope with all of this stress. Sorry this is just a massive rant, but can anyone help me with like revision or coping mechanisms for this if you can?

Have a word with your teachers. If you're having to work for that long you're being set far too much homework. Or maybe you're not spending your time wisely?
Talk me through what you're doing in those hours and for what subjects.
As for coping, talking about your worries with others will definitely help.
The fact you're getting so little sleep will be partly behind the stress as well, I reckon.
I definitely understand you. The reality is, although I don't advocate it, deadlines at A Level sometimes have to give. My biggest problem has been that teachers, even in the same departments do not co-ordinate with each-other. So if you have three teachers for one subject, as I do for two of mine, all three of them very often give essays at the same time etc;. What you need to do, is set yourself 'mini goals'. Looking to the end of year and university is good, it might help you, but it will help you if you focus on smaller motivations and goals. For example:

Is your next essay in the immediate weeks before parents evening? There's a reason to stay motivated.

Is your essay the last one of the term, and therefore the last time before your next report to prove your potential to your teacher? There's a reason to stay motivated.

Do you have a teacher who thinks you can't do well. Stay motivated and prove them wrong.

Are you happy with a C in your coursework draft and are willing to just hand that draft in as your final one? Think that it could be moderated down to a D, and you need a B to be sure of your final grade. That'll keep you motivated.

Basically, my point is, find small goals, small motivators, don't just think of working your ass off to get good grades in the end. It might work but you'll go crazy if your motivation/goal is to do well in something that is so far away (chronologically). And really don't worry too much about missing the odd deadline by a few days now and then. Sometimes sanity has to take priority.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KaylaB

Does your school give you a lot of homework? What subject is stressing you out to deal with in partulcar? Also you may not be using your time effectively while doing your work and maybe that might be the problem because when I was in year 12 I couldn't work for that long. Maybe you should rethink your study schedule.
Reply 5
Original post by plasmaman
Have a word with your teachers. If you're having to work for that long you're being set far too much homework. Or maybe you're not spending your time wisely?
Talk me through what you're doing in those hours and for what subjects.
As for coping, talking about your worries with others will definitely help.
The fact you're getting so little sleep will be partly behind the stress as well, I reckon.

Yeah I do get set too much homework, and when I mention it to the teacher's they are just like, you need to do it, it will only take you like 20 minutes.
On tonight's/this morning's agenda due in for tomorrow morning are: 10 pages of history notes to do for each unit and flashcards, fill out an entire booklet for the resources unit in chemistry, and do 2 pages of questions for mechanics which we haven't even learned yet.
Sometimes I just get so stressed out that's there's so much to do that I just procrastinate because there is so much to do and I don't know where/how to start.
& Yeah going to sleep at 2:30 is on one of the good days, it's like the earliest I've gone to sleep on a weeknight for since early October, lately it's been getting a lot later.
Which subjects are you doing?

Try and spread your workload. It helps to do work the day it's set, or at least as much as you can. It sucks that you get home at 6pm, but try and make the best of it so that you're in bed by 11 or 12 - a good day's sleep'll do you a lot of good. Things might be messy today - if you can finish the work to a reasonable quality then do so, but otherwise explain that you had a bit of a rough time and you've learnt to do the work at a better time.

There should be someone to talk to at your school, like your Head of Year, if it's an issue to do with your subjects. Otherwise just take a few deep breaths and try to fix things. I presume you have January mocks - there's still time to do well in them as long as you pull up your socks over Christmas.

For revision, it'd depend on the subject but... Make notes if that works for you, go through the textbook and the questions in them, work through a revision guide if applicable, then have a look at a past paper under exam conditions.
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Which subjects are you doing?

Try and spread your workload. It helps to do work the day it's set, or at least as much as you can. It sucks that you get home at 6pm, but try and make the best of it so that you're in bed by 11 or 12 - a good day's sleep'll do you a lot of good. Things might be messy today - if you can finish the work to a reasonable quality then do so, but otherwise explain that you had a bit of a rough time and you've learnt to do the work at a better time.

There should be someone to talk to at your school, like your Head of Year, if it's an issue to do with your subjects. Otherwise just take a few deep breaths and try to fix things. I presume you have January mocks - there's still time to do well in them as long as you pull up your socks over Christmas.

For revision, it'd depend on the subject but... Make notes if that works for you, go through the textbook and the questions in them, work through a revision guide if applicable, then have a look at a past paper under exam conditions.

I do Chemistry, Maths, Philosophy & History. & I got set all of the work that I'm currently doing just today, and it's due in the next day.
& my 6th form has opted for mid-December mocks instead of January ones. Also if I don't hand in work exactly at that time/at a really high quality we get given detention which runs until 5:30pm which means I'd be home just before 8pm :frown:
Quit? If you find a-levels hard then wait till you get to uni...
Original post by KaylaB
I do Chemistry, Maths, Philosophy & History. & I got set all of the work that I'm currently doing just today, and it's due in the next day.
& my 6th form has opted for mid-December mocks instead of January ones. Also if I don't hand in work exactly at that time/at a really high quality we get given detention which runs until 5:30pm which means I'd be home just before 8pm :frown:

You do know it's illegal for the school to keep you more than 1 hour behind right... Even so, sixth form is not compulsory like secondary school, so if you got given a detention, you have all the right to get up and leave - they can't do anything even if they tried (though not always the advisable option) :tongue:

Maybe talk to your teachers about the work load and try to convince them that bite-sized homeworks are particularly better for you mentally. Then you always have time for that odd 1 hour revision sesh after homework and most importantly, you can actually get some sleep.
Reply 10
Original post by Angelo12231
You do know it's illegal for the school to keep you more than 1 hour behind right... Even so, sixth form is not compulsory like secondary school, so if you got given a detention, you have all the right to get up and leave - they can't do anything even if they tried (though not always the advisable option) :tongue:

Maybe talk to your teachers about the work load and try to convince them that bite-sized homeworks are particularly better for you mentally. Then you always have time for that odd 1 hour revision sesh after homework and most importantly, you can actually get some sleep.

Yeah our detentions are 2 hours long, 3:30 -5:30pm and my 6th form has a strict 3 strikes and you're out policy, if you disobey the rules 3 times, you get kicked out. So although it's not compulsory, it sort of is :frown: & I always say to the teachers about the workload and they say that they're giving us the minimum amount of work that they can :angry::angry:
Original post by KaylaB

I went through the exact same stress. I was leaving for college at 8am, and coming back at around 6pm then having to do a good 5-6 hours of work to keep myself from falling behind. I ended up getting so ill from the stress that I ended up in hospital.

The remedy? Either change subjects and drop ones that are too time consuming (easier said then done of course, but I was doing History which I adored as a subject, but it demanded so much time that I had to give it up and drop it for something less time consuming, and more enjoyable).

If this isn't an option, do all your work on the weekends. Do everything on saturday and give yourself sunday off if possible, and only do what is 100 percent relevant. It's easy to get sidetracked studying minor topics that will only get you extra credit in the exam. But leave all of those minor topics to extra revision in exam time. It's easy to tell what's important and what isn't by what the lecturer focuses on in the classes.

Set up times to see lecturers too. It's important to have a good relationship with your lecturers because they're the ones that will email you during exam time, they're the ones who will put time aside when you need extra help at the end of class and it's a good skill to remember to allow your lecturers time to get to know you because at university, this is a definite must.

In concerns to revision, it entirely depends on how you learn. Whether it's doing, hearing or visually. I personally learn from doing, so all of my notes I needed to learn, I wrote them on coloured cards over and over and then recited them and then wrote out a quiz of questions to answer. Maybe you can find your own technique?

In the end though, don't worry so much, the help you need is available as long as you ask for it from your lecturers. They're there to ensure you pass remember. Try to stay calm and work your way through it as best you can. With a lot of subjects, there isn't enough time in the day to do it, so you have to focus on the major topics and have a clear understanding of the module, then do the minor topics closer to the exam.

And most importantly, don't stress. It's not worth your health, and stress only freezes your brain from being able to be productive. Find what works for you and pace yourself. The jump from GCSE to A level is a massive one (even more so than college to university) because the work style entirely changes, but you WILL get used to it. You just have to figure out a time management.

I'm sad to hear that your sixth form still has disciplinary measures like at school. I went to a college so we were treated like adults, if we didn't turn up then we wouldn't get our EMA, if we never turned up, you would have a tutor meeting then maybe be suspended, but you would never get detention. Are you sure sixth form is for you? Remember also, they will throw you into the deep end right at the beginning.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KaylaB
Yeah our detentions are 2 hours long, 3:30 -5:30pm and my 6th form has a strict 3 strikes and you're out policy, if you disobey the rules 3 times, you get kicked out. So although it's not compulsory, it sort of is :frown: & I always say to the teachers about the workload and they say that they're giving us the minimum amount of work that they can :angry::angry:

Well clearly not... My school is pretty heavy on the homework business but never have I had to do more than 1.5 hours - 2.0 hours worth a night :tongue:

good luck! I'm sure all this work will pay off anyway.
Pretty sure you've chosen the wrong sixth form/college :/ I spent only a few hours a week to do homework when I was at college.
Original post by KaylaB

Gee. It sounds like your 6th Form is pushing you too hard. The only solution I can think of is to move to one closer to your home and without so much weirdness going on.
Even though you get home late, you should't be having to do homework until 2.30am D: If I decide to do homework as soon as it's set, I mostly only do 2 hours a night after I get home and the rest can be done at the weekend. Maybe try to talk to your Head of Sixth Form and ask for some leniency when it comes to deadlines because you can't cope? They should have some kind of pastoral care system in place if you are really getting to that point of stress that you're crying.

Spread all the work out during the week so you do all your work split into small time periods, then it won't feel like it's as much work. If large amounts of work are set for the next day, it's slightly unfair/silly for the teacher to expect anyone to get that much work done. Don't procrastinate whilst you work so you can relax fully after.

I thought my sixth form was strict, yours sounds terrible :eek:
Reply 16
Do you do work during study periods? I bet you don't. I don't understand how you work so much...
Reply 18
I don't know your exact situation but if I am to give you some advice, I'd say try not to stress too much, you have time, but really use your time wisely. Everything will turn out okay if you are sticking to your goals, but overthinking and stressing will only make everything going on in your life harder for you and you will end up feeling overwhelmed. It's rare that someone who tries hard at A Level and is as dedicated as you will perform badly.
Make sure you give yourself breaks and good sleep, so when you study you will process information better... and believe in yourself. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest