The Student Room Group

Rush Limbaugh says Irdis Elba can't be cast as James Bond

Rush Limbaugh has said that Irdis Elba shouldn't be cast as James Bond becuase he is black.

Your Thoughts on This?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No-one cares what he thinks.

As Fleming wrote him, he was meant to resemble the American singer Hoagy Carmichael, but not one of the actors who have portrayed him since the films began have looked anything like him.

His ancestry was a Scottish father and a Swiss mother, yet he's been played by Englishmen and Irishmen.

But, since we're no longer following Fleming's stories, what does it really matter? Idris would make a very good Bond, though I think maybe having a young Bond might be an interesting change. When Craig got picked his 'opponent' in the audition was Henry Cavill...
As much as I would hate to say this as an African American I think it would be weird to have a black guy as bond however I wouldn't be against it.

Black males in movies are usually the tough guys...supporting cast
Typical. Not even surprised.
Who the **** cares what Rush Limbaugh thinks?
He's a quintessentially British, old school aristocrat of Scottish background. Well in theory this does not absolutely exclude black actors, I dont think it is incorrect to say it is a ''white character'' in the eyes of the vast majority. He was written as a white character, simple as that. When Piers Bronsman played him he didnt do it in an Irish accent did he? The role is what it is.

Is shaft not a ''black character''? Could Michael Fassbender play him? Yes he surely could but it would just be weird.

Why dont people write an entirely new role for a Black British secret agent as opposed to trying to hijack an existing institution if it is such an issue? I wish people would not see this as racism and just acknowledge that James Bond is a white guy.
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with him solely on the grounds that Colin Firth should be the next Bond.
The defining feature of Bond is male and British. Anything else is interpretable and fair game, so a black James Bond could work just as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Idris would make a great James Bond.

Bond had been reinvented so many times, even went to space, but God forbid you have a black James Bond. It's ridiculous!! Find the best British man for the job, it doesn't matter what colour his skin is!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like when this argument comes up because it always ends with 'Bond could be a person of any colour, just not a woman, that would be silly'.

Anyway, does anyone care what Limbaugh thinks, some of the nonsense he spouts I bet even his mum has a hard time backing him up.
Original post by felamaslen
Who the **** cares what Rush Limbaugh thinks?

Obviously the people upset that he have an opinion on the matter.
How about a load of Muslim actors in the next version of Pride and Prejudice! :rolleyes:
It's lefty pandering at its worst and will cheapen the film regardless of how well Idris does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jebedee
It's lefty pandering at its worst and will cheapen the film regardless of how well Idris does.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most pathetic things in life are lefty-pandering.
Reply 14
If moses and ancient egyptians can be cast using white actors, then you can have a black man playing james bond. Hollywood whitewashes tonnes of movies, so I don't see the issue.
Original post by Tai Ga
If moses and ancient egyptians can be cast using white actors, then you can have a black man playing james bond. Hollywood whitewashes tonnes of movies, so I don't see the issue.

Wanna name a famous Egyptian Hollywood actor? Thought not.....
Original post by mojojojo101
I like when this argument comes up because it always ends with 'Bond could be a person of any colour, just not a woman, that would be silly'.

Anyway, does anyone care what Limbaugh thinks, some of the nonsense he spouts I bet even his mum has a hard time backing him up.

The first name of the character is James, the character has to be male.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by billydisco
Wanna name a famous Egyptian Hollywood actor? Thought not.....

What on earth is your point? It's authenticity you guys are complaining about, since you like to point out that James Bond was never historically black. If you have such a strong desire to adhere to the facts, then you should take issue with Exodus having an entirely white cast playing the leading roles. Or are you just a hypocrite?
Using you logic, Idris Elba is a big name, so if it's the status that comes with the leading actor you're worried about, then there shouldn't be any issues.
Don't necessarily think someone should be picked as Bond on colour to be edgy or forward-thinking, but don't get why people would be butthurt by it. Elba would be a good Bond.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Lol he is a fictional character so why does it matter?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending