The Student Room Group

early risers... whats your secret?

I have always wanted to wake up earlier (at 5am) to kick start my day.

How do people do it? I always tend to hit the snooze button on my alarm! :/

Ive read a lot about how successful people are the early risers and really want to do this, but i need advice on the best way to do it.

Please any advice will be useful! xx

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Honey:)

Ive read a lot about how successful people are the early risers and really want to do this, but i need advice on the best way to do it.

I wouldn't classify myself as an early riser as I only do it when I'm working, and still don't get up early relative to some people, but what helps me get out of bed in the morning is the knowledge that the earlier I start work, the earlier I can finish. If I start early and finish early, I can also avoid the peak of the traffic, too. Of course, this means going to be earlier too - but after about 10ish I'm very rarely doing anything worthwhile on a week-night anyway; so I might as well go to bed and then get up earlier the next day.

So I think you've got to have an actual reason for getting up early. And it does take a bit of getting used to, as well, but as you get older it becomes easier.
Reply 2
Our "earlyness" or "lateness" is genetic and developmental. I.e. it's determined by your genes and varies across your life.

Unfortunately some people are just in natural early cycles (early risers early sleepers) and some the opposite. Though people exist on a spectrum across the range.

Young people from early teens to mid twenties tend to be late types and this moves earlier as we age.
Reply 3
Original post by nicatre
Our "earlyness" or "lateness" is genetic and developmental. I.e. it's determined by your genes and varies across your life.

Unfortunately some people are just in natural early cycles (early risers early sleepers) and some the opposite. Though people exist on a spectrum across the range.

Young people from early teens to mid twenties tend to be late types and this moves earlier as we age.

i hope its not determined by your genes. and even if i so happened to have a 'late riser' gene,... don't mean i can't try!
Funnily enough, I've also read that late risers are successful in life. I think the only way to become an early riser is to sleep earlier, the earlier you sleep the earlier you wake. If you have difficulty getting to sleep early drink a glass of warm milk or try exercising a few hours before going to bed or turn off all electronics and don't use your phone about an hour before bed.
When I have the morning shift I have to get up at 5am. It's ****ing awful. Why would you put yourself through that. Get some sleep. You will feel much better for it.

Given the chance 9am is my preferred time of awakening. Not too early but not to late.
Reply 6
I start at 7.30am weekdays, meaning I am up at 6.30. Just have to go to bed a bit earlier to ensure you get enough sleep. No later than 11pm for me. Occasionally a late night is doable, but not regularly. Eating well also helps keep your energy levels up.

Just takes motivation! Do you have any goals/aspirations? If you do then you have to make every day count in order to achieve them, wake up with a clear plan of what you want to achieve that day and go out and do it! Also could try going to bed earlier:smile: Carpe diem and good luck!
I tend to burn the candle at both ends. Its probably not much good for me.

I probably average 5 hours sleep a night. An all nighter due to working on things every other week is not uncommon. But my motivation levels are through the roof. I work 42 hours a week and spend perhaps 40 working on all my little projects.
Original post by Okorange
Funnily enough, I've also read that late risers are successful in life. I think the only way to become an early riser is to sleep earlier, the earlier you sleep the earlier you wake. If you have difficulty getting to sleep early drink a glass of warm milk or try exercising a few hours before going to bed or turn off all electronics and don't use your phone about an hour before bed.

That doesn't work.

I have Delayed sleep phase syndrome. I turn off the electronics and do exercise and I struggle to get to sleep.
Reply 10

Firstly: be consistent. I wake up at 06:45 everyday, including weekends and holidays - if you skip the weekends, it'll be harder on the weekdays as well.

Secondly, you have to want to do it - as soon as your alarm goes off, switch it off and get up as quickly as possible. You could even make it a competition: how fast can you get up, or something.

Third, get enough sleep in the first place. I go to bed at 22:15 every night - gives ~8 hours 30 minutes for sleep. A 5am start would require even more sleep.
(edited 9 years ago)
Insomnia.
Original post by eggpotato
Insomnia.

What's yours like? Do you just not fall asleep for ages? Or do you wake up constantly?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What's yours like? Do you just not fall asleep for ages? Or do you wake up constantly?

Usually it's just difficulty falling asleep but more recently, when I do fall asleep, I wake up at a ridiculous time and can't get back to sleep for some reason
(edited 9 years ago)
Usually it's just difficulty falling asleep but more recently, when I do fall asleep, I wake up at a ridiculous time at can't get back to sleep for some reason

Ah that sucks. You should try setting a time to sleep every day, and even if you're not tired, switch off lights, phones or anything, so you're in darkness and try to sleep.

Stick to it every day and eventually it'll kick in.

No caffeine, alcohol of exercise before you sleep. A couple of hours I'd say.

Exercise in the day though just not before sleepy time.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Me too :frown:

If I wake up around 4am, I decide that I may as well get something done.

I can't fall asleep too well; I often wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall asleep for (quite literally) hours.

When I take hours to sleep, which is rare now, I often find its because I'm too hot, and thinking too much about something.

So open a window perhaps, and then just think about one simple thing. I imagine scenarios to tire myself, like what I want to dream about or something.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Ah that sucks. You should try setting a time to sleep every day, and even if you're not tired, switch off lights, phones or anything, so you're in darkness and try to sleep.

Stick to it every day and eventually it'll kick in.

No caffeine, alcohol of exercise before you sleep. A couple of hours I'd say.

Exercise in the day though just not before sleepy time.

Yes, Doctor. I shall comply.

Lol jk thanks for the advice. That whole switching off my phone thing is gonna be difficult though :tongue: Although it's a small price to pay for a good night's sleep I guess.
Yes, Doctor. I shall comply.

Lol jk thanks for the advice. That whole switching off my phone thing is gonna be difficult though :tongue: Although it's a small price to pay for a good night's sleep I guess.

It's to do with melatonin production, and when you're exposed to light it isn't made, so you don't get sleepy.

I don't switch my phone off, but I make a conscious decision to not check it at night.

I do wake up thought at like half 10, then at midnight, then 1ish,then 2ish then 4 ish and then 6 ish and then yeah, either I have to wake up for school, or weekend and I try and get back to sleep.

Lol the reason I have advice is cos I have a friend who's quite bad. Not that he takes the advice... Well idk if he does haha

Also no large meals before you sleep.

Original post by Johann von Gauss
When I wake up in the middle of the night, I always catch myself thinking about things. To be honest, I find listening to music helps occupy my mind.

Yeah, I end up sending text messages which are... Lol j a bit weird, it's like a look into my consciousness
(edited 9 years ago)
If you *have* to get up early for a prolonged period of time (if you start work at 0600 for example) then you just become accustomed to rising at an early hour.
Original post by Schleigg
If you *have* to get up early for a prolonged period of time (if you start work at 0600 for example) then you just become accustomed to rising at an early hour.

This.

It just takes practice. I got so used to getting up for work for 9 that I hated when I changed jobs and had 3-11:30pm shifts because I still woke up early. Now that I'm starting work at 9am again, I find that I very rarely sleep past 10am because that's the routine I've gotten into.

Quick Reply

Latest