The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

TE Graham shouldn't have got in. Gronkowski, Olson, Bennett and Kelce or Thomas. Thomas while starting off hot has tailed off badly. Think theres a very high chance Broncos think he's expendable. Graham just reinforces my idea that he's soft as ****.

WR agree Graham and Green were by reputation. OBJ was probably a little too late his surge. Since it was like week 7 he started? Golden Tate should definitely have made it...

I'm really annoyed by hightower not getting in. Hightower has been immense. Also Even though I dislike the Jests Sheldon Richardson was absolutely screwed by that decision not to get in. He's a wrecking ball. Agree about Pot Roast but the list of DT was pretty damn stacked haha. Could Argue Jamie Collins should have got in as well...

Devin McCourty as well should have got in. Somehow TJ ward got in before him and I'm not sure why they keep listing McCourty as Strong Safety as he's clearly a Free safety.

Wilson and Rivers probably could argue they should get in over Luck.

Jahri Evans was another name inclusion. He has been utterly dreadful for the Saints. No doubt he's let go this off season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SmashConcept
I find that hard to believe. I'm like a little over 180 lbs and I played center against some of the best teams in the country. It's easy lol. I think the GB women would beat a decent percentage of BUCS D2 teams.

BTW as a Christmas present for all of you here is Bill Walsh's 1985 West Coast playbook which has been kicking around the internet for a while. Notably they didn't run Spider 2 "Y Banana" back then (they didn't even have green/red right slot 316 power, but they might have run it as an adjustment) :frown: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2944734/1985-49ers-Offense-Walsh

Even if you are 4ft 9, 140lbs...you can play running back. Jayson Carter for Rice....http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/106189/video-4-foot-9-rb-gets-carry-in-hawaii-bowl and http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24160988/rices-4foot9-tailback-sensation-has-a-big-future-ahead-of-him

“My stature may not be the tallest,” Carter said. “But when it comes to lifting, I can do what everyone else does. I can bench 315 [pounds]; I can power clean 230. I’m on equal footing.”

Thanks for the Christmas present of the playbook! (*_*) The grandaddy of all the west coast offenses!
From the NFL website:

"Odell Beckham Jr. is the first player in NFL history to have a 1,000-yard season after missing his team's first three games of the season (Beckham missed first four games). Beckham's 79 receptions are the most in NFL history for a player in his first 11 career games. His 1,120 receiving yards are most through a player's first 11 games in Super Bowl era (since 1966), and his 11 receiving TD are also the most through a player's first 11 games in that time."

That's amazing (particularly the first sentence - not just first rookie but first player).
I find that hard to believe. I'm like a little over 180 lbs and I played center against some of the best teams in the country. It's easy lol. I think the GB women would beat a decent percentage of BUCS D2 teams.

BTW as a Christmas present for all of you here is Bill Walsh's 1985 West Coast playbook which has been kicking around the internet for a while. Notably they didn't run Spider 2 "Y Banana" back then (they didn't even have green/red right slot 316 power, but they might have run it as an adjustment) :frown: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2944734/1985-49ers-Offense-Walsh

I'm 134 lbs at 5'11! Merry Christmas everyone. I can now post from iPad so even more ways for me to talk football!
Original post by Wattsy
I'm 134 lbs at 5'11!

If your team is D2 that's like 90% of players, if your team is uni prem it's more like 80% of players I guess lol. Just play QB, you wear a red shirt in practice and you won't play games until you know what to do so you can just gain weight for a year at least. Unless your team is terrible which it might be, but whatever.

Also if you can run you can play corner because there's basically nothing easier than defending against a British passing offense. I played DB for a season before I converted to center because one time I was hung over and I didn't want to do hitting so I lied and said I was a safety/corner. Started most games that year. Also if you can read a playbook and catch you can be a stud wideout even if you can't run. I played in the senior prem and I'd say only one of our wideouts consistently ran accurate routes while tracking the ball. We made the playoffs anyway running the spread (one and done :yy:). Well our defense made the playoffs and we rode on the same bus so whatever, still counts, although most offensive players did have to ride at the front with the coaches like the dorky kids in school.

You should go to the gym anyway and gain weight anyway but that's because girls won't be impressed with your new hobby so you need muscles to try and attract them.

Good luck with your new career in British American football, if you need any guidance just ask, if not I'll give you some regular advice anyway.
I know a lot about BUCs having played it for 3 years and hopefully playing it for another two at a new uni when I undertake my masters. What positions did u guys play? I played Slotback for all three years, winning the challenge plate in my second year with my beautiful pink team :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimbles
I know a lot about BUCs having played it for 3 years and hopefully playing it for another two at a new uni when I undertake my masters. What positions did u guys play? I played Slotback for all three years, winning the challenge plate in my second year with my beautiful pink team :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So...would that be the NTU regenades, then? Good team.

I played cornerback for the Plymouth Blitz last year. This year, I'm doing a year in the United States, but then I hope to play some more Blitz football. I was a bit undersized...but it was fun.
Northumbria Mustangs are my uni team, one of my mates plays TE, another plays RB. I'm tempted to start the gym this year given my stature so maybe I could play a bit in 4th year!
Trent actually look really good this year, a slightly more complete team than when they had miller. I hope Nottingham manage to give them a good game at least.
Original post by jammy4041
So...would that be the NTU regenades, then? Good team.

I played cornerback for the Plymouth Blitz last year. This year, I'm doing a year in the United States, but then I hope to play some more Blitz football. I was a bit undersized...but it was fun.

Of course, Roll Pink!! I wasn't a big guy myself, just nippy and good hands, never dropped a pass my way when I was playing.

Trent actually look really good this year, a slightly more complete team than when they had miller. I hope Nottingham manage to give them a good game at least.

because they've built a playbook based around the strengths of the entire team, and not just Miller. They have a fast O-line, good WR squad, and a good RB. and they're using them all perfectly. Me and Miller never got on, he's actually an egolostic idiot.
I pretty much agree with that. I know most of their coaches and they are very sharp guys who understand uni ball and work well together. The exact opposite of where I used to coach. I understand that there is a similar situation at UoN with the 2nd year HC kind of making all the coaches take it almost as seriously as a second job and running the S&C program, so hopefully they can improve enough to give NTU a good game even though they lost to Warwick.

Have only exchanged a few words with Miller, he seemed alright I think but I don't really have an opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
I pretty much agree with that. I know most of their coaches and they are very sharp guys who understand uni ball and work well together. The exact opposite of where I used to coach. I understand that there is a similar situation at UoN with the 2nd year HC kind of making all the coaches take it almost as seriously as a second job and running the S&C program, so hopefully they can improve enough to give NTU a good game even though they lost to Warwick.

Have only exchanged a few words with Miller, he seemed alright I think but I don't really have an opinion.

Yeah. The NTU coaches have meetings 2-3 times a week, and these meetings take 3 or more hours of watching game film, making plans, etc. So they do take it very, very serious. In fact, I've learnt a lot from these guys, and as I can't cope with being away from uni ball, I've started coaching at the local team near home, Worcester, and we are having a good season so far, potential of a first winning season ever!

Miller was so disrespectful in our last game of 2014, when we got knocked out of the semi finals. It was his and a lot of ours last game, and he disapeared at the end of the game without shaking hands with anyone, and had gone home by the time we got to the changing rooms.
P.S all I can think of is Brian 'Smash' Williams when I see your name! Where did you used to play and coach at?
I'm far too soft to play unfortunately, I'll stick to watching and playing madden :tongue:
Original post by ..DT..
I'm far too soft to play unfortunately, I'll stick to watching and playing madden :tongue:

I'm a soft guy naturally, never get angry or mad. But you find a way to get pumped up, and when you can get in the zone, you're away!
Original post by jimbles
I'm a soft guy naturally, never get angry or mad. But you find a way to get pumped up, and when you can get in the zone, you're away!

I feel like if I'd gotten into it back in maybe first year of uni I could have enjoyed it, bit late now I'm about to graduate. I play football anyway so that consumes enough time. I'd love to bulk up a bit as well but unfortunately having Crohns disease doesn't massively allow for that :/
Original post by ..DT..
I feel like if I'd gotten into it back in maybe first year of uni I could have enjoyed it, bit late now I'm about to graduate. I play football anyway so that consumes enough time. I'd love to bulk up a bit as well but unfortunately having Crohns disease doesn't massively allow for that :/

Don't need to be bulked up for ball! I was 72kg (159lbs) when I was playing my best sports. I kept myself fit and worked on speed, plyo and agility. I posted the best combine times for most things we ran in pre-season, but I was far, far from the strongest.
Original post by jimbles
P.S all I can think of is Brian 'Smash' Williams when I see your name! Where did you used to play and coach at?

If you are a slot receiver/coach you are supposed to think of a corner route when you see my name!!

I played a little at Nottingham Uni, in fact we probably played against each other at the Friday night varsity game I guess in 2012.. I was the guy who ran for probably a little under 100 yards and then got stopped on 4th and goal :smile:

I'm not sure if I will play or coach again. I would like to coach for sure, but as I alluded to my last team had people that were so incompetent it left a sour taste and means I would probably have to travel or move house to do it for real. I won't name the team because there are some good people there too.. But I think Worcester might have them to thank for your biggest ever win (you have UoN to thank for your first ever LOL) :wink:
If you are a slot receiver/coach you are supposed to think of a corner route when you see my name!!

I played a little at Nottingham Uni, in fact we probably played against each other at the Friday night varsity game I guess in 2012.. I was the guy who ran for probably a little under 100 yards and then got stopped on 4th and goal :smile:

I'm not sure if I will play or coach again. I would like to coach for sure, but as I alluded to my last team had people that were so incompetent it left a sour taste and means I would probably have to travel or move house to do it for real. I won't name the team because there are some good people there too.. But I think Worcester might have them to thank for your biggest ever win (you have UoN to thank for your first ever LOL) :wink:

Haha I did, but I relate smash to FNL more due to being a huge fan of it haha!

Yeah I played then :tongue: you the guy we did a goal line stand against when it looked certain you guys were gonna score? Hehe.

I've only started coaching this year! Haha. Our biggest win this year? I've forgotten scores for some games already but Coventry or DMU (I think it was that Leicester team we have played this year) is shouting out at me right when you said that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Week 17 is the king of trick plays! Cecil Shorts to Jordan Todman for the go-ahead TD!

Latest