The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
If Rodgers insists on starting Gerrard and playing him for the full 90 minutes every game then we have no chance as we'll just be dominated in midfield, we won't often get results like we did at Burnley as we don't have DDG or Loris to save our asses.

Yh, our best 11 hasn't been figured out yet. Once Sturridge comes back (if he doesn't get injured again) then I think things will fall into place. We need to buy a CM, GK and a striker though, GK and striker being the most important.

Yeah i just cant understand the reasoning behind that other than the fact that Gerrard has Rodgers by the balls. Gerrard has been a passenger in most games. Mignolet's confidence is shattered, that is really imprtant for a goal keeper and i cant see him recovering to save his Liverpool career.

That's a lot of surgery needed for your starting 11. I think you'll probably bring in a goal keeper for this jan and the rest will be done in the summer. Surely you guys must go for Valdes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah i just cant understand the reasoning behind that other than the fact that Gerrard has Rodgers by the balls. Gerrard has been a passenger in most games. Mignolet's confidence is shattered, that is really imprtant for a goal keeper and i cant see him recovering to save his Liverpool career.

That's a lot of surgery needed for your starting 11. I think you'll probably bring in a goal keeper for this jan and the rest will be done in the summer. Surely you guys must go for Valdes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can has done a good job as a CM apart from QPR (he only just came back from injury and the whole team was dog ****), was very good against Chelsea but he cannot sustain it for 90 minutes and still young otherwise he would be a nailed on starter, he has even proved to be a more competant CB than Lovren. Manquillo has done a solid job as a fullback but again is young and cannot sustain it for 90 minutes and is not that good offensively, same for Moreno who has defensively not been good however. The problem is we have too many young players who are still developing and adjusting to the PL.

I would welcome Valdes, I think we also need another backup GK as not even Jones is good enough for that but it's not really urgent.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Can has done a good job as a CM, was very good against Chelsea but he cannot sustain it for 90 minutes and still young otherwise he would be a nailed on starter, he has even proved to be a more competant CB than Lovren. Manquillo has done a solid job as a fullback but again is young and cannot sustain it for 90 minutes and is not that good offensively, same for Moreno who has defensively not been good however. The problem is we have too many young players who are still developing and adjusting to the PL.

I would welcome Valdes, I think we also need another backup GK as not even Jones is good enough for that.

Can needs to develop, but he needs game time to do that. And he's getting very little. He's proven himself to be better than most of our 'senior' players yet doesn't get a game. Irritates me no end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Can needs to develop, but he needs game time to do that. And he's getting very little. He's proven himself to be better than most of our 'senior' players yet doesn't get a game. Irritates me no end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's been the story of this season so far, Rodgers has been playing his favourites all the time hoping they would come good but they haven't. Gives better performing players one game, they do well but they get dropped immediately and never seen for 6 games...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Lose tomorrow and top 4 is over imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Over already for me, too.
Original post by Mackay
Over already for me, too.

And me. Just hoping we can buy in decent players for Europa. Only chance at CL next season. Expecting 7th in Prem this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And me. Just hoping we can buy in decent players for Europa. Only chance at CL next season. Expecting 7th in Prem this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd take a 7th right now tbh, which says it all.

On current form, you'd say Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd/Arsenal will finish top four, with Southampton and Tottenham fifth and sixth. Then, it's between us and West Ham for 7th and 8th. Don't expect Newcastle/Everton to run us that close.
Original post by Mackay
I'd take a 7th right now tbh, which says it all.

On current form, you'd say Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd/Arsenal will finish top four, with Southampton and Tottenham fifth and sixth. Then, it's between us and West Ham for 7th and 8th. Don't expect Newcastle/Everton to run us that close.

I think West Ham are gonna crumble at some point, so if we can get anyone in Jan we should scrape 7th. Agree with what you've said though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think West Ham are gonna crumble at some point, so if we can get anyone in Jan we should scrape 7th. Agree with what you've said though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd expect them to fall away, but nothing surprises me anymore. They are very tactically astute and can trouble teams both aerially and on the deck with players like Sakho, Valencia etc.
Original post by Mackay
I'd expect them to fall away, but nothing surprises me anymore. They are very tactically astute and can trouble teams both aerially and on the deck with players like Sakho, Valencia etc.

True. Who do tou think Rodgers should be looking for come Jan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
True. Who do tou think Rodgers should be looking for come Jan?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cech - and new backroom staff!
Original post by Mackay
Cech - and new backroom staff!

Yup. Defensive coach asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup. Defensive coach asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

CL experience should we ever get there again, too. Read that only one member of our coaching team had ever coached for a side in the CL. Not good enough.
Original post by Mackay
CL experience should we ever get there again, too. Read that only one member of our coaching team had ever coached for a side in the CL. Not good enough.

Really? That's a bloody disgrace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? That's a bloody disgrace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I've read Benitez's CL book, too, and he emphasises the need to have quality coaching staff. Pako Ayestarán, Paco Herrera, John Achterberg, Xavi Valero all had massive roles.
Original post by Mackay
Yeah. I've read Benitez's CL book, too, and he emphasises the need to have quality coaching staff. Pako Ayestarán, Paco Herrera, John Achterberg, Xavi Valero all had massive roles.

Doubt Rodgers will do anything though :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7696
Original post by Mackay

Sorry but Achterberg is a terrible coach and I don't think he has any CL experience. Played for Tranmere for 10 years and we were his first coaching job. There a lot of people who blame him for the decline of Reina, after Valero left.

Can't argue with what you're saying though and it's a complete joke how poor our current set up seems to be. Rodgers is too self-absorbed it seems to consider changing this. I get the impression he believes that he and he alone can turn this around. This is great self confidence if it happens but you have to be able to admit you're wrong and change it if it doesn't. Which I think is the case now with us
Original post by Stirlo
S
Can't argue with what you're saying though and it's a complete joke how poor our current set up seems to be. Rodgers is too self-absorbed it seems to consider changing this. I get the impression he believes that he and he alone can turn this around. This is great self confidence if it happens but you have to be able to admit you're wrong and change it if it doesn't. Which I think is the case now with us

Completely agree. Rodgers seems too headstrong and too eager to be the main man, rather than building a great backroom setup and staff. It's a shame. He needs to become more pragmatic.
You'll lose to Swansea
Original post by AR_95
You'll lose to Swansea

You're probably right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest