The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

My firm decision is torn between Sheffield and Cardiff (need a lot of help deciding), my insurance is between Leicester and Sussex providing they give me offers (fingers crossed)! :biggrin:
Original post by Jayology97
My firm decision is torn between Sheffield and Cardiff (need a lot of help deciding), my insurance is between Leicester and Sussex providing they give me offers (fingers crossed)! :biggrin:

Oooh very nice, well I've only ever actually been to Cardiff and I have to say it's a really nice city :smile:
Torn between Bath and Bristol to firm atm , however an offer from UCL/ LSE of course will be a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Are those your top 3? If you got all three which do you think you'd firm? :smile:

Yep they are!I'd say all of them are tempting!I'd say Bristol!
Original post by Skill Twix
Yep they are!I'd say all of them are tempting!I'd say Bristol!

Oooh Bristol is a lovely city :smile:
Reply 2225
i applied Sheffield and Leicester for BA economics
Oooh Bristol is a lovely city :smile:

The chances are quite slim but I am still keeping my hopes high!Who knows?
Their course looks good too
Original post by tazza ma razza
Exactly! I aim to do IB for 2 years and then leave to go for CFA qualification whilst working at a hedgefund / Private Equity firm.... Assuming i get a place at an IB... and Assuming i get a 1st Class Hon BSC... also Assuming i get a sick SW / summer Week... hahaha :smile:

Exactly, a lot of people dissing ib -> it looks v good on a cv and is an obvious entry into the city whereby there is room in the heirachy for a career and many promotions or a switch to a different part of the city. Good luck, which unis did you apply to?

People who moan about London being expensive is bizarre, I too am very wary about London prices but seeing as all the best jobs are in London anyway, everyone will be experiencing these prices at one point in time or another -> plus you can get by cheaply if you are sensible with your spending and don't buy coffee/food etc right outside the touristy bits
Original post by jchap9776
Exactly, a lot of people dissing ib -> it looks v good on a cv and is an obvious entry into the city whereby there is room in the heirachy for a career and many promotions or a switch to a different part of the city. Good luck, which unis did you apply to?

People who moan about London being expensive is bizarre, I too am very wary about London prices but seeing as all the best jobs are in London anyway, everyone will be experiencing these prices at one point in time or another -> plus you can get by cheaply if you are sensible with your spending and don't buy coffee/food etc right outside the touristy bits

True, you don't need to be well off to study in London, a lot of people are swayed away from studying there because of that. You will get additional financial help from the gov if you are in a low income bracket for studying in London. Not to mention bursaries from the university itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not just London being expensive that's an issue for me, I'd say imo the place would be too big for me as a student and there would be so many distractions that I wouldn't have in other cities

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh, it is the easiest way to get experience; tho it is an illogical long term career plan as it is in decline! I applied for 2 courses - Economics then Accounting + Finance ( I got AAAB at AS, A in maths, further maths and german, B economics, predicted A*AAA respectively) with Economics at UCL and Nottingham, A and F at LSE, Warwick, Bath. Most people get a job in the area they get their degree from so it is a kinda no brainer - get a london degree! What about you - where did you apply?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yh, it is the easiest way to get experience; tho it is an illogical long term career plan as it is in decline! I applied for 2 courses - Economics then Accounting + Finance ( I got AAAB at AS, A in maths, further maths and german, B economics, predicted A*AAA respectively) with Economics at UCL and Nottingham, A and F at LSE, Warwick, Bath. Most people get a job in the area they get their degree from so it is a kinda no brainer - get a london degree! What about you - where did you apply?

How did you structure your personal statement if you applied for two different (albeit similar) courses? Did you get any offers?

I also wanted to do that but I thought you couldn't so.. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2232
Original post by Jayology97

I've never been to Sheffield but I live in Cardiff and believe me, if you're fussed on living somewhere with a good night life then Cardiff is an amazing place to be :biggrin:

fair mate!! I applied for straight econ at Cambridge, lse, ucl & Exeter and econ and industrial organisation at warwick (got AAAA at AS in maths, f maths, history and econ, predicted 4 A*s) totally agree with you about London aswell!! just think it'll be fun for social life and all about an interesting city job getting p
It's not just London being expensive that's an issue for me, I'd say imo the place would be too big for me as a student and there would be so many distractions that I wouldn't have in other cities

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats true actually, I guess at the end of the day it comes down to different tastes and preferences:smile:
fair mate!! I applied for straight econ at Cambridge, lse, ucl & Exeter and econ and industrial organisation at warwick (got AAAA at AS in maths, f maths, history and econ, predicted 4 A*s) totally agree with you about London aswell!! just think it'll be fun for social life and all about an interesting city job getting p

Nice! How was your cambridge interview? Have you heard any news from those unis?
Original post by strawberrysnow
How did you structure your personal statement if you applied for two different (albeit similar) courses? Did you get any offers?

I also wanted to do that but I thought you couldn't so.. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

With a lot of difficulty haha I just spoke about Keynsian economics and the benefits / cons of fiscal policy on a government in defecit. Then went to talk about work experience in a finance dept. and my Young enterprise company etc. I got a B at AS economics so couldn't apply to the top 5 unis. But, as it is the name of the uni that counts, i applied to a similar but different course at LSE and Warwick.
Offers - AAA bath, warwick AABB or AAA Nottingham. Waiting on UCL and LSE
With a lot of difficulty haha I just spoke about Keynsian economics and the benefits / cons of fiscal policy on a government in defecit. Then went to talk about work experience in a finance dept. and my Young enterprise company etc. I got a B at AS economics so couldn't apply to the top 5 unis. But, as it is the name of the uni that counts, i applied to a similar but different course at LSE and Warwick.
Offers - AAA bath, warwick AABB or AAA Nottingham. Waiting on UCL and LSE

I got an A in Economics,B's in Maths,Physics and ICT.Still applied to Warwick(a top 5 uni),Bristol,Nottingham,Queen Mary(offer) and Manchester(offer).Still hope Nottingham,Warwick and Bristol give me offers :smile:
P.S my predicted grades are A*AB.Applied for straight Economics :biggrin:
Original post by Skill Twix
I got an A in Economics,B's in Maths,Physics and ICT.Still applied to Warwick(a top 5 uni),Bristol,Nottingham,Queen Mary(offer) and Manchester(offer).Still hope Nottingham,Warwick and Bristol give me offers :smile:
P.S my predicted grades are A*AB.Applied for straight Economics :biggrin:

I got rejected from Warwick with 1A* in hand (Maths), 4 more A* predicted. Apparently my academic profile wasn't as good as other candidates..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chughes17
I got rejected from Warwick with 1A* in hand (Maths), 4 more A* predicted. Apparently my academic profile wasn't as good as other candidates..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg is that a joke?! What were your gcses like? I feel so bad for you :frown:

Have you heard from your other choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending