The Student Room Group

English Language and Literatue GCSE

Hey guys, I'm currently 15 and in year 10. I am doing English language and Literature GCSE on the edexcel exam board. I recently done four English language assessments for my coursework. I was wondering on what I need for my course work to help me get and A overall after I sit the final exam. I really need this question to be answered, what grade do I need on my English language coursework to achieve and A overall after I sit my final exam?
Original post by rojda
Hey guys, I'm currently 15 and in year 10. I am doing English language and Literature GCSE on the edexcel exam board. I recently done four English language assessments for my coursework. I was wondering on what I need for my course work to help me get and A overall after I sit the final exam. I really need this question to be answered, what grade do I need on my English language coursework to achieve and A overall after I sit my final exam?

It depends on the grade boundaries of the exam you will sit at the end of your GCSE study.

To get an A overall, you will need to get pretty much all A's in your Controlled Assessments and your exams. If not you'll need to get very high Bs/low As. That's all I can say really.
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
It depends on the grade boundaries of the exam you will sit at the end of your GCSE study.

To get an A overall, you will need to get pretty much all A's in your Controlled Assessments and your exams. If not you'll need to get very high Bs/low As. That's all I can say really.

Thank you very much, I need to retake them to get As. Have you done your GCSEs, if so what grades did you get?
Original post by rojda
Thank you very much, I need to retake them to get As. Have you done your GCSEs, if so what grades did you get?

Well, it depends if your teacher will let you. Most teachers now-a-days will not be concerned. If you are hitting your predicted grade marks for your CAs, then your teacher will not go out of their way for you just to redo them just to hit those As. It's strategically better to work harder on the exam side than it is for the CA! And they might have "cashed" in your CAs by now (if you're in Year 11) which means if you wanted to redo your CA, you would have to do new assignments from your previous one. So leave the CAs alone now, and focus on the exam and how to master your craft!

I have done my GCSEs, and also my A-levels. Now at uni. I got a B in GCSE English, and CC in GCSE English (Double Award (English and Digital Communication)).
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Well, it depends if your teacher will let you. Most teachers now-a-days will not be concerned. If you are hitting your predicted grade marks for your CAs, then your teacher will not go out of their way for you just to redo them just to hit those As. It's strategically better to work harder on the exam side than it is for the CA! And they might have "cashed" in your CAs by now (if you're in Year 11) which means if you wanted to redo your CA, you would have to do new assignments from your previous one. So leave the CAs alone now, and focus on the exam and how to master your craft!

I have done my GCSEs, and also my A-levels. Now at uni. I got a B in GCSE English, and CC in GCSE English (Double Award (English and Digital Communication)).

I'm only in year 10, so my teacher said I could retake at the the end of the year. Once I retake this year next year I will focus on the actual exam. Thank you for all the advice and help it means a lot. What Uni do you attend? And what are you studying?
Edexcel is pretty easy you should be fine! Me and my friends did no revision and came out with A*'s in language and A's in Literature!
I recommend just annotating poems/texts for exam prep, and for the assessments/coursework, practice with other people in your class for speaking assessments and ask your teacher for guidance on other aspects of the coursework

I'm pretty sure the overall grade is based on the exam, I only got a high B (Or a low A) in the coursework. :smile:
Good Luck!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jasminem97
Edexcel is pretty easy you should be fine! Me and my friends did no revision and came out with A*'s in language and A's in Literature!
I recommend just annotating poems/texts for exam prep, and for the assessments/coursework, practice with other people in your class for speaking assessments and ask your teacher for guidance on other aspects of the coursework

I'm pretty sure the overall grade is based on the exam, I only got a high B (Or a low A) in the coursework. :smile:
Good Luck!! :smile:

Thank you so much, what was your overall grade for lang and lit?
Any other tips for me?:smile:
Original post by rojda
Thank you so much, what was your overall grade for lang and lit?
Any other tips for me?:smile:

Overall Grades;
A for Literature
A* for Language,

Main Tipa; really do not stress it, and make sure you focus on other subjects, English is not difficult to pass!
(LANGUAGE) You should have an English anthology full of small texts and poems, annotate one a day and familiarize yourself with texts.

(LITERATURE) Remember quotes from books, and make sure you full understand characters and their purpose. Work on doing your own in-depth analysis of the book and form your own interpretations. Find out others interpretations on the books too - it could save you having an alternate perspective in the exam.

(LANGUAGE & LIT) Work on the exam techniques using past papers and ask your teacher to mark it. In the language exam there is section requiring descriptive/persuasive writing, so having the ability to write creatively/persuasively in a time limit is crucial

(LANGUAGE & LIT) Learn key words for analysis (E.G. Pathetic fallacy, Metaphor, Oxymoron, Satire...) Try to distinguish the differences between language techniques, structure and form to get the top marks in questions requiring analysis.

And of course make sure your spelling and grammar is immaculate for an A or A*, you'd be suprised how many mistakes can be made under exam pressure!

Hope I helped!
Reply 8
Overall Grades;
A for Literature
A* for Language,

Main Tipa; really do not stress it, and make sure you focus on other subjects, English is not difficult to pass!
(LANGUAGE) You should have an English anthology full of small texts and poems, annotate one a day and familiarize yourself with texts.

(LITERATURE) Remember quotes from books, and make sure you full understand characters and their purpose. Work on doing your own in-depth analysis of the book and form your own interpretations. Find out others interpretations on the books too - it could save you having an alternate perspective in the exam.

(LANGUAGE & LIT) Work on the exam techniques using past papers and ask your teacher to mark it. In the language exam there is section requiring descriptive/persuasive writing, so having the ability to write creatively/persuasively in a time limit is crucial

(LANGUAGE & LIT) Learn key words for analysis (E.G. Pathetic fallacy, Metaphor, Oxymoron, Satire...) Try to distinguish the differences between language techniques, structure and form to get the top marks in questions requiring analysis.

And of course make sure your spelling and grammar is immaculate for an A or A*, you'd be suprised how many mistakes can be made under exam pressure!

Hope I helped!

Thank you so much this helped me a lot, I'm going to follow every step you said and order the anthology book now:smile: Your grades were really good! What grades did you get for Science GCSE? And are you currently doing your A-levels or attending uni?
Original post by rojda
Thank you so much this helped me a lot, I'm going to follow every step you said and order the anthology book now:smile: Your grades were really good! What grades did you get for Science GCSE? And are you currently doing your A-levels or attending uni?

Okay so glad I could help, best of luck! :smile:
Thank you! I did Triple Science GCSE and got ABC (Chemistry was the C:l)
I'm doing my A Levels in Biology, PE, Psychology and English Literature :smile:
Reply 10
Okay so glad I could help, best of luck! :smile:
Thank you! I did Triple Science GCSE and got ABC (Chemistry was the C:l)
I'm doing my A Levels in Biology, PE, Psychology and English Literature :smile:

Thank you:smile: Your really smart!
I Wish you the best for your A-levels and hope you achieve the grades you want. I'm currently doing psychology for GCSEs:smile:
Anyone do A level English literature?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending