The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sameer599
What is a rush/rushing yard?

Rushing yards are yards achieved by rushing. Rush is another word for a run - handing the ball to a team member and having them run with the ball.
Poor execution from the panthers giving the cardsa short field like that ....
This Panthers running game is literally the most complicated rushing attack I've ever seen in the NFL. Newbie, this will be an education! From read option to pulling guard you're going to know it all by the end of this.
Power option is super rare in the NFL. Not complicated per se, it is a high school play.
Original post by SmashConcept
Power option is super rare in the NFL. Not complicated per se, it is a high school play.

Yeah it looks very college. I guess it's complicated looking if you've not seen much of the Panthers this season and I really don't think I have. I think this play is a TD. I thought he'd got in in real time and that replay backs it up
Looks like a clear TD.

The power option is just power O with the QB, and instead of kicking out the end they just have a give option to the outside. Obviously you need to threaten the inside run with the QB.
This is disgusting to watch. Panthers should be out of sight and they're losing. Such poor execution.
Antonio Cromartie has been the best corner on the Cardinals' roster this season. Patrick Peterson has had a terrible year.
Love Arizona's defensive playcalling. Fearless and entertaining is actually the most effective way to play in most cases, which is why it's so frustrating when coaches punt too much or whatever.
Original post by SmashConcept
Love Arizona's defensive playcalling. Fearless and entertaining is actually the most effective way to play in most cases, which is why it's so frustrating when coaches punt too much or whatever.

They properly buying into that 'Prevent only prevents you from winning' ethos. I suppose with the 3rd string QB on the other side of the ball the Cards can only play in that aggressive way.

There you go, rush 3... concede a 1st down.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
They properly buying into that 'Prevent only prevents you from winning' ethos. I suppose with the 3rd string QB on the other side of the ball the Cards can only play in that aggressive way.

There you go, rush 3... concede a 1st down.

As a Bronco fan...I couldn't hate a prevent defense more. I agree. It stops you from winning. You have to follow the way which got you in a lead in the first place. Ugh.

And from the way things are going, Arizona need a new punter. I mean here's a list of his punts and what happened.
43 yards, LOS ARI28, fair caught.
37 yards, LOS ARI22, fair caught.
31 yards, LOS ARI08, fair caught.(fair enough, he's backed up in the end zone with the punt)
31 yards, LOS ARI03, fair caught. (fair enough, he's backed up in the end zone with the punt, and it's a very short snap)
52 yards, LOS ARI23, downed. (His only half-decent attempt).
33 yards, LOS ARI37, muffed catch, Arizona recover. A shorter punt allows for better coverage, I suppose...
28 yard, LOS ARI29, out of bounds. A shanked punt if ever there was one.
20 yards. TWENTY YARDS. LOS ARI28, DOWNED. I don't know where there was unfortunate bounce, but that's pathetic, with all the room he had.

Average punt: 34.4 yards. The only redeeming quality is that there is no return on them. But even a 34.4 yard net is pathetic. If you need an example to highlight the importance of special teams...it's this game. Good special teams wins game. Bad special teams loses them. Field position, is crucial.

And quarterback. God Lindley is horrible. And a running back to complement/back up Ellington. They are not getting it done in the air, they are giving Carolina short fields...they have no running game. Oh, and they'll need a new WR as Fitz is pretty much guaranteed to be going next season.
Original post by jammy4041
As a Bronco fan...I couldn't hate a prevent defense more. I agree. It stops you from winning. You have to follow the way which got you in a lead in the first place. Ugh.

And from the way things are going, Arizona need a new punter. I mean here's a list of his punts and what happened.
43 yards, LOS ARI28, fair caught.
37 yards, LOS ARI22, fair caught.
31 yards, LOS ARI08, fair caught.(fair enough, he's backed up in the end zone with the punt)
31 yards, LOS ARI03, fair caught. (fair enough, he's backed up in the end zone with the punt, and it's a very short snap)
52 yards, LOS ARI23, downed. (His only half-decent attempt).
33 yards, LOS ARI37, muffed catch, Arizona recover. A shorter punt allows for better coverage, I suppose...
28 yard, LOS ARI29, out of bounds. A shanked punt if ever there was one.
20 yards. TWENTY YARDS. LOS ARI28, DOWNED. I don't know where there was unfortunate bounce, but that's pathetic, with all the room he had.

Average punt: 34.4 yards. The only redeeming quality is that there is no return on them. But even a 34.4 yard net is pathetic. If you need an example to highlight the importance of special teams...it's this game. Good special teams wins game. Bad special teams loses them. Field position, is crucial.

And quarterback. God Lindley is horrible. And a running back to complement/back up Ellington. They are not getting it done in the air, they are giving Carolina short fields...they have no running game. Oh, and they'll need a new WR as Fitz is pretty much guaranteed to be going next season.

Frankly this punter is terrible. Sorry Shaun Gayle but he's having a nightmare.

The Cards were in win now mode and then Carson Palmer got injured. They're going to struggle until he's back, maybe longer if they don't have a #1 WR. At least their D is good. It will carry them to some amount of victories next season.

In news that we already knew: Kuechly is a special, special player who would plug in and play on every team in the NFL.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy

The Cards were in win now mode and then Carson Palmer got injured. They're going to struggle until he's back, maybe longer if they don't have a #1 WR. At least their D is good. It will carry them to some amount of victories next season.

In news that we already knew: Kuechly is a special, special player who would plug in and play on every team in the NFL.

Ugh...that pathetic quarterback is...well.....

I'm lost for words.

PUT IN LOGAN THOMAS...HE COULDN'T BE AS BAD. Palmer is an excellent QB, but he's fragile. GAH.
Original post by Wattsy

Kuechly is straight up an Animal. Dude travels so well on the field. Him and Lavonte David are 2 of the very few highlights of the NFC south right now.
Both games had something in common. Atrociously reffereed. Flaccif really just lobs it up and hopes for PI.

Also Lindley ****ing sucks nuts how is he a nfl calibre quarterback. He doesn't even deserve to be a water boy.

There's **** then there's him.
Original post by Malevolent
Both games had something in common. Atrociously reffereed. Flaccif really just lobs it up and hopes for PI.

Also Lindley ****ing sucks nuts how is he a nfl calibre quarterback. He doesn't even deserve to be a water boy.

I didn't watch game 2; time management issues over Christmas have left me 3 clear days to write 3000 words of jurisprudence essay but Ed Hochuli's explanations were totally bizarre. The PI issue is going to rage until it becomes reviewable because the Cards no call on that arm pull and the Panthers call in the Red Zone both sucked.
Original post by Wattsy
I didn't watch game 2; time management issues over Christmas have left me 3 clear days to write 3000 words of jurisprudence essay but Ed Hochuli's explanations were totally bizarre. The PI issue is going to rage until it becomes reviewable because the Cards no call on that arm pull and the Panthers call in the Red Zone both sucked.

It was horrible refereeing. Not a bad strategy just launch in the air and pray for the PI.

Football is getting crapper and crapper with the way things are going.
It was horrible refereeing. Not a bad strategy just launch in the air and pray for the PI.

Football is getting crapper and crapper with the way things are going.

Especially when you have Joe Flacco's massive arm I suppose. The DB see's an 80 yard bomb heading towards their guy and unless they're T10 in the league, that creates panic. I wouldn't want to try it on Revis next week. He'll just continue to pluck you out of the sky without touching your wideout. Especially when we're talking Torrey Smith and Steve Smith, neither are express pace. Browner is a different animal though. He plays absolutely on the borderlines of legality so if he's on Torrey Smith all game you'd just keep tossing it up there and you'd keep having success if the games are refereed the same way. If we get to Seahawks v Lions that's going to be fun with this style of refereeing. If I'm a betting man I want whatever the Over is on the flag line.
Original post by Wattsy
Especially when you have Joe Flacco's massive arm I suppose. The DB see's an 80 yard bomb heading towards their guy and unless they're T10 in the league, that creates panic. I wouldn't want to try it on Revis next week. He'll just continue to pluck you out of the sky without touching your wideout. Especially when we're talking Torrey Smith and Steve Smith, neither are express pace. Browner is a different animal though. He plays absolutely on the borderlines of legality so if he's on Torrey Smith all game you'd just keep tossing it up there and you'd keep having success if the games are refereed the same way. If we get to Seahawks v Lions that's going to be fun with this style of refereeing. If I'm a betting man I want whatever the Over is on the flag line.

It was very weird I thought the steelers would get the rub of calls but the ref was all day in the ravens pockets.

Ben was horrible though FairPlay. People saying Ravens pass rush looked ferocious, Ben held on to the ball for so damn long. If that's Manning that balls out long before they get there.

There's a metric for this. Flacco has led the league in every year since he's been drafted apart from 2009. It's a legit strategy if you've got a good deep threat.

I just feel awful for the Cardinals. I can't think of any team that could survive using their 3rd QB and their 2nd RB. Shame it was them after missing out at 10-6 last year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest