The Student Room Group

Choosing Med Schools - How did you start??

Hey guys,

So i need to start choosing med schools in order to look at open days and entry requirements, etc but i was wondering where did you start?? did you come up with a list that you definitely want to go to or did you broadly look and then narrowed it down?

i have a vague list in my head but no clue where to start!

Cheers for any help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

excellent advice in the wiki but check med school websites to make sure it's up to date.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Reply 2
Original post by parentlurker
excellent advice in the wiki but check med school websites to make sure it's up to date.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

that's brilliant! thank you
I made a broad list first based on the med schools whose entry requirements I met and that suited my strengths, then narrowed it down by crossing out those with a course type that I didn't like as much (e.g. I didn't want solely PBL, so I removed those).

I then went to as many open days as I could from the schools left on my list.
Visiting is really important because once you've removed options based on logical decision-making it's more about how much you like the tutors, the facilities and the feel of the place.
Reply 5
Original post by rmandala
Hey guys,

So i need to start choosing med schools in order to look at open days and entry requirements, etc but i was wondering where did you start?? did you come up with a list that you definitely want to go to or did you broadly look and then narrowed it down?

i have a vague list in my head but no clue where to start!

Cheers for any help :smile:

i made a huge spreadsheet and included every single uk med school. listed things like the course style (i am a pbl hater so managed to rule them out quick), gcse requirements, ukcat requirements etc. gradually ruled out any i hated due to course or wasn't eligable for e.g. birmingham i didn't have enough A*, or london as i didn't want to be so near home.
i then kept a shortlist which i visited a few of and made the final decision after i did my ukcat.
Try to avoid picking based on what uni you'd most like to go to and instead pick based on where you're most likely to get in. i don't know anyone who regrets where they've gone so you'll enjoy any uni you get into provided you picked the course etc well.
I, like the poster above, made a spreadsheet with factors that I cared about (looking back, these appear to be... 'Percentage Satisfied with Teaching (UCAS)', 'Closeness', 'Area + Prettiness + Shizz', 'Intercalation Opportunity' and 'Extra Humanities Opportunities (i.e. languages)'...

Admittedly, I personally didn't go to any medical school open days so simply chose based on what scored highly/which unis I liked/ensuring I didn't apply to more than 2 BMAT unis.
I'd look at what you want out of a medical school (e.g. you can rule out those in places you don't want to live for 5 years), then see of the remaining that you meet the minima for, see what the curricula/teaching/uni in general is like. Apply accordingly!

Unless you're Scottish/from the EU, in which case you apply to where offers you the cheapest tuition. :wink: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by em.d_4
i made a huge spreadsheet and included every single uk med school. listed things like the course style (i am a pbl hater so managed to rule them out quick), gcse requirements, ukcat requirements etc. gradually ruled out any i hated due to course or wasn't eligable for e.g. birmingham i didn't have enough A*, or london as i didn't want to be so near home.
i then kept a shortlist which i visited a few of and made the final decision after i did my ukcat.
Try to avoid picking based on what uni you'd most like to go to and instead pick based on where you're most likely to get in. i don't know anyone who regrets where they've gone so you'll enjoy any uni you get into provided you picked the course etc well.

that was really helpful thank you!! when did you do your UKCAT? because i have numerous people saying numerous things like 'you do it in the summer' and 'you do it once you're back at school' so I'm not too sure when i have to do it. same with the BMAT
Reply 9
Original post by manic_fuzz
I, like the poster above, made a spreadsheet with factors that I cared about (looking back, these appear to be... 'Percentage Satisfied with Teaching (UCAS)', 'Closeness', 'Area + Prettiness + Shizz', 'Intercalation Opportunity' and 'Extra Humanities Opportunities (i.e. languages)'...

Admittedly, I personally didn't go to any medical school open days so simply chose based on what scored highly/which unis I liked/ensuring I didn't apply to more than 2 BMAT unis.

Do you mind me asking why you didn't go to any open days? because i know many people have used them as a deciding factor between choices and also when did you do your BMAT?? cos like with the UKCAT i've heard different things so I'm a bit confused.
Reply 10
when do you start going to open days and applying?
Do you mind me asking why you didn't go to any open days? because i know many people have used them as a deciding factor between choices and also when did you do your BMAT?? cos like with the UKCAT i've heard different things so I'm a bit confused.

Because I couldn't afford the travel costs, so it wasn't necessarily a choice - but I feel like I'd have been happy wherever I ended up. Umm... at the same time as everybody else? The BMAT is done on the same day by everyone, and after the application date.
Reply 12
that was really helpful thank you!! when did you do your UKCAT? because i have numerous people saying numerous things like 'you do it in the summer' and 'you do it once you're back at school' so I'm not too sure when i have to do it. same with the BMAT

You can book your UKCAT any time within the testing season, which starts around June or July IIRC and ends around October. You ideally want to do it quite early on, so you are best able to use the score you got to rule unis in/out. If you completely bomb it you're going to need to sit down and go through your list of unis again and make sure you don't apply to any that pay UKCAT any notice.

You'll only find out your BMAT score after applying, which is why people advise you not to apply to more than two BMAT unis in any one cycle.
Reply 13
Original post by Tarims

most uni's hold there open days towards the end of summer term so june/july time and hopefully on dates that don't clash with any exams but i think most of one on saturday and then another open day within the same week. some also offer open days in september for final decisions
Reply 14
Original post by Ronove
You can book your UKCAT any time within the testing season, which starts around June or July IIRC and ends around October. You ideally want to do it quite early on, so you are best able to use the score you got to rule unis in/out. If you completely bomb it you're going to need to sit down and go through your list of unis again and make sure you don't apply to any that pay UKCAT any notice.

You'll only find out your BMAT score after applying, which is why people advise you not to apply to more than two BMAT unis in any one cycle.

ahh right ok i think i was planning to do it in august time since my exams finish mid june and i wanted july to prepare for it but i wanted it out of the way before school started again.
Reply 15
pick the one you think will sound cool on your degree :wink:
Reply 16
I looked at which ones I met the entry requirements for and then just picked the courses I most liked out of these :smile:
I picked random ones tbh *dat confidence* didn't want to take the BMAT after all the stress for the UKCAT so that narrowed it down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tarims

If you check the Uni websites you will see that they offer Open Days after Easter for those thinking of applying in October. You will need to BOOK a place for Open Days and this usually starts in Feb.

Applications for Medicine for 2016 entry will open in early Sept and will close mid October. The early closing is because thousands more people apply than there are places - and it takes ages to read all the applications and interview those selected etc. Therefore you need to start thinking about where you might apply (4 choices and a 5th non-medicine choice) and getting your PS etc written over the summer at the latest. Or of course you can get your grades next August and take a year out to get lots of relevant work experience BEFORE you apply.
Reply 19

you can do the ukcat anytijme between july and early october, i did mine in early September. in the case of the ukcat you get your mark instantly and can then use it to guide your application.
the bmat is in early november i think after your application so if you choose to apply to bmat unis you do so taking the risk that your bmat may be bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending