The Student Room Group

Help me choose a A level

So I am planning to be a doctor and I have a problem on my hands. A level option is pretty limited.My parents strongly advise me not to take maths or physics even though I got A in both ( I am not naturally gifted) .I am already doing bio chem and art but I want help with the 4th subject.I really don’t want to do econ.
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Agh I hate names
So I am planning to be a doctor and I have a problem on my hands.I am going to a school call Christ hospital for 6 form but the A level option is pretty limited.My parents strongly advise me not to take maths or physics even though I got A in both ( I am not naturally gifted) .I am already doing bio chem and art but I want help with the 4th subject.I really don’t want to do econ.

Why are you thinking of doing 4 A levels?

Only three are needed ...
Reply 2
So I am planning to be a doctor and I have a problem on my hands.I am going to a school call Christ hospital for 6 form but the A level option is pretty limited.My parents strongly advise me not to take maths or physics even though I got A in both ( I am not naturally gifted) .I am already doing bio chem and art but I want help with the 4th subject.I really don’t want to do econ.

Have you had a look to see what different medical courses require? I think some want three sciences and include maths under that, so something like Maths or Physics, or even Psychology or Geography, could help you if the med schools you are interested have that requirement? Obviously this will also depend on what your school offers, so I think having a look around for what the unis you're interested in are interested might be helpful for you!
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you thinking of doing 4 A levels?

Only three are needed ...

It's for safeguarding.I am trying to find a way out if I failed art miserably.Truth be told , I have never dine art I was offered it due to a schlorship thing.
Reply 4
It's for safeguarding.I am trying to find a way out if I failed art miserably.Truth be told , I have never dine art I was offered it due to a schlorship thing.

What else is on offer? Psychology would be useful ..
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by aarynmb
Have you had a look to see what different medical courses require? I think some want three sciences and include maths under that, so something like Maths or Physics, or even Psychology or Geography, could help you if the med schools you are interested have that requirement? Obviously this will also depend on what your school offers, so I think having a look around for what the unis you're interested in are interested might be helpful for you!

I want to do psychology but my school has never offered me .I did not study geo in igcse too.

Art is very time consuming and so I'd recommend going for math, bio, chem and dedicating your time to them particularly maths if you feel you're not as strong at it and then doing art as a side hobby
Original post by Mocha Latte
Art is very time consuming and so I'd recommend going for math, bio, chem and dedicating your time to them particularly maths if you feel you're not as strong at it and then doing art as a side hobby

IK but my parents are forcing me to not chose maths,I actually wanted to do maths.
(edited 8 months ago)
IK but my parents are forcing me to not chose maths,I actually wanted to do maths.

Explain to them that maths will help you achieve your dream of becoming a doctor and that you'd be much more competitive with maths than art. Reassure them that you are aware that maths is challenging, you're going to put in the work to do well in it (you've already proved your ability to do so by getting an A at GCSE). In the end, if that doesn't work, just go for it it's your decision ad your future not theirs.
Original post by Mocha Latte
Explain to them that maths will help you achieve your dream of becoming a doctor and that you'd be much more competitive with maths than art. Reassure them that you are aware that maths is challenging, you're going to put in the work to do well in it (you've already proved your ability to do so by getting an A at GCSE). In the end, if that doesn't work, just go for it it's your decision ad your future not theirs.

My parents are doctors and they were so odd about me doing maths for some reason.They just kept insisting that I don't need it.
My parents are doctors and they were so odd about me doing maths for some reason.They just kept insisting that I don't need it.

It's not them doing the A levels - do the ones YOU want. I teach Maths and there's so many good websites to help.
It's not them doing the A levels - do the ones YOU want. I teach Maths and there's so many good websites to help.

The thing is that i am afraid they would pay for the exam out of spite.They are stubborn af
(edited 8 months ago)
The thing is that i am afraid they would pay for the exam out of spite.They are stubborn af

What do you mean? Does this school make parents pay for exams entries?
What do you mean? Does this school make parents pay for exams entries?

First I am not 16 yet and 2nd I think my school does.
First I am not 16 yet and 2nd I think my school does.

I don't understand what your worry is then? How can they stop you doing Maths A level?
I don't understand what your worry is then? How can they stop you doing Maths A level?

I am not 16 yet so a level for me is like me being a private candidate,so I will have to pay the fee.If this is true then my parents will see that I am doing maths and they might refuse to pay for that subject.
I am not 16 yet so a level for me is like me being a private candidate,so I will have to pay the fee.If this is true then my parents will see that I am doing maths and they might refuse to pay for that subject.

?Take it as one of your official A levels - dont the school allow this? People can start A levels before they are 16
?Take it as one of your official A levels - dont the school allow this? People can start A levels before they are 16.

I think my understanding of a level may be wrong? Well school is starting soon so I might as well ask the advisor.
Reply 18
Parents like this baffle me. Barring you from subjects you're good at is like sabotaging your application. I'm sorry you're going through this. Maths is an amazing subject for a med school applicant, and it's one of your strengths. All candidates applying for med school will lean into their strengths heavily and if Maths is yours, then do the A Level. I don't understand your parents' logic. I saw so many successful applications with the Maths A Level. Actually, that seemed to be one of the common subjects! Biology, Chemistry and Maths is a great subject combination.

With how stubborn your parents are, I have to ask. I'm not trying to be rude but is Medicine even a course you want to do? Or is it a course they chose for you? They're acting like they're the ones going to read the A Levels and go through med school. They need to give you space to make these decisions.
Original post by DarylO
Parents like this baffle me. Barring you from subjects you're good at is like sabotaging your application. I'm sorry you're going through this. Maths is an amazing subject for a med school applicant, and it's one of your strengths. All candidates applying for med school will lean into their strengths heavily and if Maths is yours, then do the A Level. I don't understand your parents' logic. I saw so many successful applications with the Maths A Level. Actually, that seemed to be one of the common subjects! Biology, Chemistry and Maths is a great subject combination.

With how stubborn your parents are, I have to ask. I'm not trying to be rude but is Medicine even a course you want to do? Or is it a course they chose for you? They're acting like they're the ones going to read the A Levels and go through med school. They need to give you space to make these decisions.

Well I am always interested in the medical field.I loved bio but i really considered medicine later on .I was originally planning to do biochemistry, biomedicine or biochemical engineering in university, so i was like "why not do medicine". My parents actually tried to push me away from medicine because they think i am not worthy enough.I actually am still talking about studying biochemistry to my parents.I am actually planning to ask my other relatives for money to go to med school if i can't convince my parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending