The Student Room Group

Studying French A level without studying it at GCSE

Should i study french a level without doing it at GCSE. I already do spanish GCSE however i want to do french as i think it is a better language. Advice? Thank you! :smile:
- Are you able to take ab initio French A-level?
If the answer is "no", it's not advisable unless you already have a good amount of French knowledge prior to starting A-level. Ultimately, it's up to your sixth form whether or not they believe your French ability is at GCSE standard and thus if you are competent enough to do the A-level course.
Original post by GraceTheAwesome
Should i study french a level without doing it at GCSE. I already do spanish GCSE however i want to do french as i think it is a better language. Advice? Thank you! :smile:

I do the AS having got an A* at gcse and I find it challenging, so Im not sure
I got an A at GCSE French and found AS exceptionally difficult, I highly doubt you will be allowed to do it at AS without it at GCSE, I'd say don't do it, but as loperdoper said if you know GCSE B-standard or above French then it won't hurt to try.
Thank you for your advice :smile: It has really helped :smile:
Gcse was completely useless if I'm honest.

I came in not knowing any vocab that everyone else knew, but my grammar was relatively on point and I'd learnt that after gcse exams.

So I think if you enjoy it and put time into it it'll be fine.
Reply 6
How much French have you done before? I would say if you have at least some knowledge of the language then go for it, but it may be difficult if you haven't got a lot of experience with it. My friend is doing French AS at the moment, and she finds it quite difficult.
I did two years of french before GCSE because it was compulsory, and i am happy to spend the summer learning. Would this be enough for me and the french teacher to consider taking me for a level? Thank you everyone for your useful advice it has really helped :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oswalds
How much French have you done before? I would say if you have at least some knowledge of the language then go for it, but it may be difficult if you haven't got a lot of experience with it. My friend is doing French AS at the moment, and she finds it quite difficult.

I did 2 years and would be willing to spend summer learning extra vocabulary. Do you this would enough for me and a french teacher to consider taking me for A level? Thank you:smile:

Moved this to the foreign languages forum for you.
Original post by She-Ra
Moved this to the foreign languages forum for you.

Thank you :smile:
Thank you :smile:

No problem, looks like you've had some very helpful advice :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending