The Student Room Group

Revision for french speaking and writing

What is the best way to revise vocab? Should I use my own research as well as class notes? Should I practice speaking questions with my friends? Where is the best (free) place to look for past speaking prompts?
Original post by Avan2552
What is the best way to revise vocab? Should I use my own research as well as class notes? Should I practice speaking questions with my friends? Where is the best (free) place to look for past speaking prompts?

Hi @Avan2552,
Although I studied German for GCSE and A Level, I think my advice will still apply to you.

I strongly recommend making short Ouizlet sets for vocabulary. You can use vocab you learn in class, but if you pick up on any other words or phrases, I’d include them too.

I’d suggest speaking as much French as possible to practice for your speaking exam. Get your friends to ask you questions and give your best reply. My best preparation method was to look at past speaking papers and to write down full answers in untimed conditions so I had a rough idea about what I could discuss in the exam. Then get someone to ask you the questions and try to give an answer without looking at your pre-written answers.

I’d also recommend exposing yourself to lots of French in everyday life…
You could listen to French music, watch a round up of French news online, read articles…
The more you are used to hearing and reading in French, the more you become familiar with the language.

I’m not too sure on the most updated places to source past questions. You could try the exam board websites, or ask your teachers to draft questions for you.
Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University
Reply 2
Original post by Avan2552

quizlet/anki flashcards, maybe aim for about 400 a day. for speaking i'd 1) speak as much as you can and 2) get chatgpt to make up some questions for the topics you study. past speaking prompts will help too, they should just come up if you search up 'french a level (exam board) paper 3'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending