The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
they would be realistic if we had the money.
i don't feel like any of them (except maybe the madrid players) would look at us as too much of a step down.
the rest would just need good money and wages to get them here (although chelsea might refuse to sell cech)

those are the kind of players we should at least be bidding for, even if we don't get them.
we showed good intent to go for sanchez; we should at least try for more players like that

We'll go spend another 30-70mil in the summer (not net). We could probably afford 2 from that type of list?

This summer will be another one of those "it depends where we finish this season".
Original post by Zerforax
We'll go spend another 30-70mil in the summer (not net). We could probably afford 2 from that type of list?

This summer will be another one of those "it depends where we finish this season".

I feel like we'll still need to spend more than that regardless.
Providing we sell the players we don't need/want, we really do need to spend in the summer but actually get it right this time.

No youngsters with potential, no punts on the next big thing
Just buy quality, even if it's a higher price.
We've wasted so much money on trying to do that, and we would've been much better off buying big in the first place.

Balotelli and Lovren cost 36m.
Neither get in to our team.
36m could get you a top striker or a world class defender, that's all I'm saying...
Original post by Lúcio
Providing we sell the players we don't need/want, we really do need to spend in the summer but actually get it right this time.

We've wasted so much money on trying to do that, and we would've been much better off buying big in the first place.

36m could get you a top striker or a world class defender, that's all I'm saying...

Well Lovren and Balotelli were bought not as youngsters or a punt or the next big thing. They were both seen as players who are in the start of their peak and who have already experience in the premier league.

Basically we just need to buy better.
Well Lovren and Balotelli were bought not as youngsters or a punt or the next big thing. They were both seen as players who are in the start of their peak and who have already experience in the premier league.

Basically we just need to buy better.

true
i'm not gonna lie, some of the players we've bought are okay, it's just the price we're buying them for.
lallana is great....but he cost 25m.
markovic looks like he'll develop excellently....but he cost 20m
i would say the only good bit of business we did in the summer was buying can for only 10m

like i said, we don't need to take chances at this stage - we have plenty of young players who will develop.
we need players that have already developed to a standard where they can instantly be first team players for us.

essentially we need a big change of staff.
our transfer negotiators and defensive coaches all need sacking and replacing with ones who know how to do their job.
Anyone listened to The Anfield Wrap this week?

Always a good listen.
Why are we being linked with Arbeloa? He won't fix our defence ffs. Can't we keep Manquillo?
Original post by Mackay
Why are we being linked with Arbeloa? He won't fix our defence ffs. Can't we keep Manquillo?

There's something about Manquillo that Rodgers doesn't rate. I think it's his overall fitness - don't think he has the energy to last 90 mins how Rodgers wants his fullbacks/wingbacks (and probably won't ever).

Assaidi sale confirmed.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178043-reds-confirm-assaidi-permanent-deal
Original post by Lúcio

That isn't how the football world works though. Almost any transfer has the capacity to fail, regardless of whether you are buying established players or youngsters so spending all your budget on 1 or 2 decent 3rd/4th tier senior players isn't smart at all.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
That isn't how the football world works though. Almost any transfer has the capacity to fail, regardless of whether you are buying established players or youngsters so spending all your budget on 1 or 2 decent 3rd/4th tier senior players isn't smart at all.

Tomkins reckons statistically only 40% succeed.
Good business RE: Assaidi.

The Arbeloa thing is weird. He's obviously experienced, and if we could get him cheap and pay him less than Johnson, I wouldn't be anti his return. He's Madrid's weak link, though, and he wouldn't make that much of a difference to us in that position. There are other areas we are desperately needing improvements, and it worries me we aren't linked with strengthening them. We're in danger of becoming Arsenal in the back end of the noughties, when Wenger kept buying the same type of creative player and failed to address their need for a holding midfielder/a bit of bite in midfield.
So when Sturridge comes back, do we stick to 3-4-3 or change to a 4-2-3-1 or do we go back to the 4-4-2 diamond that people love?
So when Sturridge comes back, do we stick to 3-4-3 or change to a 4-2-3-1 or do we go back to the 4-4-2 diamond that people love?

do you mean a 4-4-2 diamond with sturridge-sterling or with sturridge-balotelli
because i feel like we would work best with sturridge as a spearhead and 2 players out wide (i.e: sterling and markovic for instance)

i like 3-4-3 for us
it accommodates our fullbacks very well, still giving us a solid midfield with henderson and lucas, and also has the creativity up top.

i think overall it would all depend on who we buy (if anybody) this month.
Original post by Lúcio
do you mean a 4-4-2 diamond with sturridge-sterling or with sturridge-balotelli
because i feel like we would work best with sturridge as a spearhead and 2 players out wide (i.e: sterling and markovic for instance)

i like 3-4-3 for us
it accommodates our fullbacks very well, still giving us a solid midfield with henderson and lucas, and also has the creativity up top.

i think overall it would all depend on who we buy (if anybody) this month.

Assuming we don't buy anyone?

So you would go with:

Coutinho Sturridge Sterling
Moreno Lucas Henderson Markovic
Sakho Skrtel Can
Mignolet

Personally I wonder if we should go to:

Sturridge
Coutinho Sterling Markovic
Lucas Henderson
Moreno Sakho Skrtel Manquillo
Mignolet

Although it is hard to leave Can out.

So you would go with:

Sakho Skrtel Can
Mignolet

Sturridge
Lucas Henderson
Mignolet

Definitely prefer the second option there. Can/Lucas can alternate, I'd have no issue with that.

So you would go with:

Sakho Skrtel Can
Mignolet

Sturridge
Lucas Henderson
Mignolet

the first one you mentioned would be my exact XI and formation.
markovic was an excellent RWB against sunderland - even though they were poor, he showed his ability to defend at a "decent" level and his willingness to make a run forward.
plus with 3 centre backs, his lack of defensive experiences would be compensated for.
being able to bring on lallana and gerrard for goals with manquillo as defensive backup would be nice.

4-2-3-1 would be quite an easy, typical formation for us.
not one i would be against though
i feel like having a good set-up for 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1 would allow us to alter our style depending on the opponent or how things are going during the match.

like i said, this is assuming we don't buy anybody that would go in to the first team.
if we bought a first team striker this month, maybe a diamond would be the way to go
Original post by Mackay
Definitely prefer the second option there. Can/Lucas can alternate, I'd have no issue with that.

Great minds think alike :biggrin:

Original post by Lúcio
the first one you mentioned would be my exact XI and formation.
markovic was an excellent RWB against sunderland - even though they were poor, he showed his ability to defend at a "decent" level and his willingness to make a run forward.
plus with 3 centre backs, his lack of defensive experiences would be compensated for.
being able to bring on lallana and gerrard for goals with manquillo as defensive backup would be nice.

4-2-3-1 would be quite an easy, typical formation for us.
not one i would be against though
i feel like having a good set-up for 3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1 would allow us to alter our style depending on the opponent or how things are going during the match.

like i said, this is assuming we don't buy anybody that would go in to the first team.
if we bought a first team striker this month, maybe a diamond would be the way to go

Yea you can see how it's more likely to rip apart certain teams but equally it could be ripped apart?

The 3-4-3 would probably be more likely to break down Villa than the 4-2-3-1. You can see how Lucas and Henderson could get shut down and then stop the ball going into our front 4.
Swiss Ramble has started posting on his blog again.

Man Utd's revenues will probably break £500mil next year when the Chevrolet and Adidas deals kick in along with the new CL TV deal if they finish top 4 this year. Foe 2013/14 I believe Man Utd's revenues were £433mil

Our figures haven't been released yet but I imagine they will be around 250-260mil by comparison for 2013/14.
Yea you can see how it's more likely to rip apart certain teams but equally it could be ripped apart?

The 3-4-3 would probably be more likely to break down Villa than the 4-2-3-1. You can see how Lucas and Henderson could get shut down and then stop the ball going into our front 4.

yeah, it's definitely a risky formation against some of the better teams, but we all know rodgers is a risky manager when you look at how he seems to ignore defence and focus only on attacking.

villa's big problem is scoring goals - they've scored a ridiculously low number this season but also conceded few too.
3-4-3 would definitely work better to break down their defence - using wing backs to add to our attack would definitely stretch their defenders and make things easier.

i'm working on the saturday so i won't be able to see the game at all, which will suck.

will we have sturridge back on saturday or will he return for the cup game(s) instead?
come to think of it; 3 cup games in a week - 2 of those aginst chelsea?!
damn...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
yeah, it's definitely a risky formation against some of the better teams, but we all know rodgers is a risky manager when you look at how he seems to ignore defence and focus only on attacking.

villa's big problem is scoring goals - they've scored a ridiculously low number this season but also conceded few too.
3-4-3 would definitely work better to break down their defence - using wing backs to add to our attack would definitely stretch their defenders and make things easier.

i'm working on the saturday so i won't be able to see the game at all, which will suck.

will we have sturridge back on saturday or will he return for the cup game(s) instead?
come to think of it; 3 cup games in a week - 2 of those aginst chelsea?!
damn...

Well maybe he should start looking at our defence..!

You know Villa will score like 5 goals against us. Always happens that a team down on its luck gets a dose of it against us before becoming crap again.

My guess is that they won't rush Sturridge back and will assess and manage his return for the long term benefit. Doubt he'll be in the squad against Villa. Maybe we'll see him in the squad against Bolton or the 2nd leg against Chelsea? I imagine he'll get like 20-30 mins for a week or two and then slowly build up to 90 mins.
When is Flanagan set to come back? The lad has been out for longer than Sturridge which is an achievement....

Quick Reply

Latest