The Student Room Group

Facebook Chat Algorithm

Hey All,

I did have a google about this but there's 4-5 girls in my chat list that I've been on dates with recently, or had no communication with in a long time that consistently appear in my top list of suggestions to chat to. I've not stalked there profile at all, but I have looked on it once or twice before the date.

It's very interesting because 2 of them, I never go on there profile, I never have messaged them and appeared in this list.

From what I've read, and on the facebook blogs it's suggesting users who you interact with most or those who interact with you most and suggests you contact them.

There's one girl that I am not speaking to at the moment that is ALWAYS top of my list, above people that I speak to the most. Strange this, because I hardly visit her profile if at all and I last messaged her two weeks ago.

Any thoughts?

P.s - To add my colleague/friends did the same and there's people that they don't talk to that have a thing for them, and these girls/guys also appear in the list. Anyone else have this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ConcordeBA
I did have a google about this but there's 4-5 girls in my chat list that I've been on dates with recently, or had no communication with in a long time that consistently appear in my top list of suggestions to chat to. I've not stalked there profile at all, but I have looked on it once or twice before the date.

It's very interesting because 2 of them, I never go on there profile, I never have messaged them and appeared in this list.

Is it possible that it's working from the other end: perhaps the dates talked about you?
Reply 2
Original post by Smaug123
Is it possible that it's working from the other end: perhaps the dates talked about you?

Well there's this one girl, who's appearing in that list who wants me to go to hers tonight. I've never messaged her via Facebook, only snapchat and text.

My date from Saturday night, keeps appearing up there and not once have I viewed her profile since the day of our date. I've not messaged her at all via Facebook so that makes no sense.

The girl I was seeing for the last two months, and she pushed me away (probably not intentionally) is as high or higher than the people I talk to most regularly. I've visited her profile once today and once yesterday, obviously there must be a two way thing that Facebook is going you two visit eachother regularly and must push them above the divider.

Presumably Facebook doesn't know you text that person/snapchat that person?

Quick Reply

Latest