The Student Room Group

Uni freshers

Do you have to join course freshers group chats? Best way to do this?
You don't have to, I did and left within a few weeks and I'm fine. If you want to, search on Fb with your uni/course names, something should pop up.
Reply 2
Original post by RambleAmple
You don't have to, I did and left within a few weeks and I'm fine. If you want to, search on Fb with your uni/course names, something should pop up.

Thank you!
Original post by M0g4321

Hi @M0g4321,

How are you feeling about freshers week and your first year?

There is no pressure to join any group chats but if you do want to, I would recommend going onto Facebook and searching for your university freshers chat. One of the benefits of joining is that you might find people making smaller chats with your course, accommodation or people with similar interests. Usually the groups start on Facebook then may move on to other platforms.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by M0g4321

Hey there @M0g4321 !

You definitely don't have to but it really helped me initially to reach out to people and make friends as I find that easier to do than in person. The way I did it is to type in on Facebook your uni + freshers group and then the year your course starts. I pretty much joined every single one, there was about 8 in the end. They tended to have links to WhatsApp or Snapchat groups in their description so I just joined as many of those as possible that were relevant to me. Usually someone else would start the conversations so I just made sure i was replying to all the main conversations. If there was someone else in the chat that sounded quite similar to myself or we were doing a similar course, I'd message them privately and start a conversation.

You could try this initially and you might find your coursemates this way. You could also start a post in the groups introducing yourself and saying what course and accommodation you're staying in and then people always tend to reply in the comments if they're on the same course or staying at the same accommodation with some groupchats to join or sometimes they'll just say 'send me a message' and then it's up to you whether you want to or not. Sometimes the Facebook groups are run by events companies in the city so they can post their promotional material in there for freshers events so you find quite a lot of the time that people are making their own separate groupchats away from the Facebook group so definitely introduce yourself and you should find some smaller groups that way.

Good luck for uni, you'll smash it!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending