The Student Room Group

ISIS captures Libyan city

This is not new news, but it's something that's generally gone under the radar.

At present, Libya is in the throes of a violent civil war between the Islamist General National Congress based in the west around Tripoli and the post-Ghaddafi elements in the east around Tobruk and Benghazi. This civil war started at the beginning of 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Civil_War_(2014%E2%80%93present)

Large sections of Libya are also under the control of another Islamist group, the Ansar al Sharia, and a large eastern city called Derna is under the control of ISIS.

The decision to intervene in Libya has been absolutely disastrous, and there is strong evidence to suggest that it was NATO's intervention in Libya that encouraged the Syrian opposition to turn to violence in the hope they would similarly attract NATO support.

The chaos in Syria helped to encourage the rise of ISIS.

What are your views?
Hopefully they will knock on Israel's door soon and Israel will start actively fighting them instead of just watching.

[video="youtube;ItykyRdBTHE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItykyRdBTHE[/video]
Reply 2
Original post by KingGoonIan
Hopefully they will knock on Israel's door soon and Israel will start actively fighting them instead of just watching.

[video="youtube;ItykyRdBTHE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItykyRdBTHE[/video]

Israel were incredibly stupid to perceive their interest as being in Assad's downfall. For all Israel's issues with Syria and the Assad dynasty, they've kept the Golan quiet for 40 years.

And it has become considerably less hostile to Israel since Bashar ascended to the throne of Syria
Reply 3
Original post by KingGoonIan

Thanks for posting the video btw, I really like Vice News documentaries.

Have you seen the Vice News documentary on Afghanistan called "This is what winning looks like"? It's incredible
Reply 4
ISIS loves Israel. we know they secretly do. LOL
(edited 9 years ago)
I remember reading about that when it first happened. I've tried to keep up to date with Libya since the war started in 2011 and it's quite irresponsible how our media have basically ignored Libya since its original 2011 war "ended".

I think the next major jihadist advance will probably be in Libya.
Reply 6
Original post by young_guns
What are your views?
Libya was a country with clean water, good healthcare, high literacy rates, and lots of other good markers.

But the USA never forgave Libya for Lockerbie and when that bomber was released from prison in Scotland, the USA had to get their revenge in and get Gaddafi dead, which left a power vacuum.

All the crap that has happened since was all predictable and predicted.

Gaddafi was a dictator who should have been left alone to help maintain the stability in at least one part of North Africa.
Original post by young_guns
This is not new news, but it's something that's generally gone under the radar.

At present, Libya is in the throes of a violent civil war between the Islamist General National Congress based in the west around Tripoli and the post-Ghaddafi elements in the east around Tobruk and Benghazi. This civil war started at the beginning of 2014.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_Civil_War_(2014%E2%80%93present)

Large sections of Libya are also under the control of another Islamist group, the Ansar al Sharia, and a large eastern city called Derna is under the control of ISIS.

The decision to intervene in Libya has been absolutely disastrous, and there is strong evidence to suggest that it was NATO's intervention in Libya that encouraged the Syrian opposition to turn to violence in the hope they would similarly attract NATO support.

The chaos in Syria helped to encourage the rise of ISIS.

What are your views?

My view is it was a mistake to support the incredibly frail and weak rebellion to overthrow Gaddafi when they must have known the provisional regime was far too weak to ever hold the country together. Another one of those countries with colonial era borders which do not satisfy much older divides therein (the east of the country as an example long having it's own sense of identity and so forth than the west).

Basically the western interventionists must have known this was how it would end up, and wanted Libya to collapse into civil war.
Reply 8
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
My view is it was a mistake to support the incredibly frail and weak rebellion to overthrow Gaddafi when they must have known the provisional regime was far too weak to ever hold the country together. Another one of those countries with colonial era borders which do not satisfy much older divides therein (the east of the country as an example long having it's own sense of identity and so forth than the west).

Basically the western interventionists must have known this was how it would end up, and wanted Libya to collapse into civil war.

Why would you assume they knew this was going to happen? The history of foreign policy is full of examples of nations doing things and having no idea of the consequences of their actions. Take American actions in Iraq, the Bush government ignored the advice coming from the CIA of the sectarian divides within the nation and were then surprised when an insurgency kicked off. Hell most of the government just did't see past removing Saddam, they just assumed things would be fine.

Libya is the way it is because we removed Gaddafi then just buggered off into the distance telling the winners to sort things out among themselves. It's the result of short slightness and wanting to do things on the cheap. Not some sort of conspiracy to bring about another safe haven for terrorists.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Why would you assume they knew this was going to happen? The history of foreign policy is full of examples of nations doing things and having no idea of the consequences of their actions. Take American actions in Iraq, the Bush government ignored the advice coming from the CIA of the sectarian divides within the nation and were then surprised when an insurgency kicked off. Hell most of the government just did't see past removing Saddam, they just assumed things would be fine.

I keep wanting to assume other people think about their actions as much as I would if the decision to invade or not was mine. *shrug*

But you're right, perhaps they didn't foresee this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending