The Student Room Group

lancaster vs bristol

I am an international student and wanted to know whether Lancaster would be better or bristol for psychology with criminology
Original post by pxlzz
I am an international student and wanted to know whether Lancaster would be better or bristol for psychology with criminology

How are you defining "better"? Better ranked university? Better ranked university for Psychology? Better graduate prospects? Lower tuition fees? Lower cost of living? Better accommodation? Better social life? Better sports facilities? Better transport links (given that you're an international student)? Etc. What features are important to you?
Original post by pxlzz

Hi @pxlzz

I don't study psychology or criminology at Lancaster, I study biochemistry, however I know a lot of people who study psychology and they really enjoy it! The first thing I'd recommend doing is comparing the modules in the courses you are considering at both universities, as there may be some variation and you may prefer one course to another based on the content! I've linked the Criminology and Psychology course webpage for Lancaster below which lists the modules available.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/criminology-and-psychology-ba-hons-cl86/

I think both Lancaster and Bristol would be good universities, and I'd recommend looking at the universities and considering what factors are important to you in terms of living at each university.

Bristol and Lancaster are both very different universities, but both amazing options. I looked at Bristol during my applications as well! One thing I'd recommend looking into is whether you'd prefer a city or campus university. Lancaster is a campus university, so all the buildings/accommodation are in one enclosed campus that kind of feels like its own mini town with shops, restaurants, takeaways etc. Bristol is a city university so the buildings are spread throughout and integrated with the city.

Other things I considered when choosing a university included how long it would take me to get to lectures/town from my accommodation and what the university facilities (library/study spaces, sports centre etc.) were like. Lancaster felt like the right university for me firstly because the course matched what I wanted but also because of its community feel and beautiful campus, however, everyone will have different things that were important to them.

I understand as an international student you may not be able to visit universities as easily so I've linked a virtual tour below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES5VVLtoRt8

Good luck with you applications, if you have any other questions about Lancaster or choosing a university please let me know!
Rebecca :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pxlzz

Hi @pxlzz!

Like Rebecca, I'm a Lancaster University student, but I do currently study Psychology, so I might be able to give you a bit of insight into what Psychology is like at Lancaster (unfortunately I can't speak for Psychology with Criminology). I'd also like to say that Rebecca's advice and information is really useful, and I did look at all of those different points when I was choosing a university to go to. :smile:

In terms of doing Psychology at Lancaster, I'm really enjoying the course and all of the content. The way Psychology at Lancaster is structured is so that you do all of the modules that you need to do for your BPS (British Psychological Association) accrediation in your first and second years, so that you can pick to study the modules you are most interested in in your third year (I'm not sure how directly this applies to Psychology with Criminology). We get really in depth introductions to all of the core Psychology modules, i.e., developmental, social, etc., to make sure that everyone is on the same page, as at Lancaster, you don't need to have studied Psychology before in order to choose it as your degree. I did do a Criminology minor in my first year, alongside with studying Psychology, and I will say that I felt that some things within both courses linked quite nicely, and I think studying Criminology for a year did help me with Psychology!

As Rebecca has said, both Bristol and Lancaster are great universities, and your decision also depends on the other factors, like whether you'd prefer a campus university over a city one, etc., but I hope that the information I've given with regards to Psychology at Lancaster is helpful!

Best of luck with your decision-making, and as Rebecca said, please feel free to ask any more questions!
~ Cathryn
Original post by pxlzz

Be aware, there are two universities in Bristol -- the "University of Bristol" and the "University of the West of England, Bristol". These are two completely different universities; albeit they're named after the same city.

If you refer to "Bristol" on its own when referring to universities, the presumption is that you're referring to the University of Bristol.

As far as I can see, the University of Bristol doesn't offer a "Psychology with Criminology" course; however UWE does.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
How are you defining "better"? Better ranked university? Better ranked university for Psychology? Better graduate prospects? Lower tuition fees? Lower cost of living? Better accommodation? Better social life? Better sports facilities? Better transport links (given that you're an international student)? Etc. What features are important to you?

mainly better graduate prospects and better accommodations
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @pxlzz!

Like Rebecca, I'm a Lancaster University student, but I do currently study Psychology, so I might be able to give you a bit of insight into what Psychology is like at Lancaster (unfortunately I can't speak for Psychology with Criminology). I'd also like to say that Rebecca's advice and information is really useful, and I did look at all of those different points when I was choosing a university to go to. :smile:

In terms of doing Psychology at Lancaster, I'm really enjoying the course and all of the content. The way Psychology at Lancaster is structured is so that you do all of the modules that you need to do for your BPS (British Psychological Association) accrediation in your first and second years, so that you can pick to study the modules you are most interested in in your third year (I'm not sure how directly this applies to Psychology with Criminology). We get really in depth introductions to all of the core Psychology modules, i.e., developmental, social, etc., to make sure that everyone is on the same page, as at Lancaster, you don't need to have studied Psychology before in order to choose it as your degree. I did do a Criminology minor in my first year, alongside with studying Psychology, and I will say that I felt that some things within both courses linked quite nicely, and I think studying Criminology for a year did help me with Psychology!

As Rebecca has said, both Bristol and Lancaster are great universities, and your decision also depends on the other factors, like whether you'd prefer a campus university over a city one, etc., but I hope that the information I've given with regards to Psychology at Lancaster is helpful!

Best of luck with your decision-making, and as Rebecca said, please feel free to ask any more questions!
~ Cathryn

hii thank youu this was so helpful most probably i’ll be going with lancaster then as the course does seem more preferable to my choices
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @pxlzz

I don't study psychology or criminology at Lancaster, I study biochemistry, however I know a lot of people who study psychology and they really enjoy it! The first thing I'd recommend doing is comparing the modules in the courses you are considering at both universities, as there may be some variation and you may prefer one course to another based on the content! I've linked the Criminology and Psychology course webpage for Lancaster below which lists the modules available.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/criminology-and-psychology-ba-hons-cl86/

I think both Lancaster and Bristol would be good universities, and I'd recommend looking at the universities and considering what factors are important to you in terms of living at each university.

Bristol and Lancaster are both very different universities, but both amazing options. I looked at Bristol during my applications as well! One thing I'd recommend looking into is whether you'd prefer a city or campus university. Lancaster is a campus university, so all the buildings/accommodation are in one enclosed campus that kind of feels like its own mini town with shops, restaurants, takeaways etc. Bristol is a city university so the buildings are spread throughout and integrated with the city.

Other things I considered when choosing a university included how long it would take me to get to lectures/town from my accommodation and what the university facilities (library/study spaces, sports centre etc.) were like. Lancaster felt like the right university for me firstly because the course matched what I wanted but also because of its community feel and beautiful campus, however, everyone will have different things that were important to them.

I understand as an international student you may not be able to visit universities as easily so I've linked a virtual tour below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES5VVLtoRt8

Good luck with you applications, if you have any other questions about Lancaster or choosing a university please let me know!
Rebecca :smile:

hii thank you for the help i’m more inclined towards lancaster comparing all the things you mentioned so hopefully it’s where I’ll start my uni life
Original post by pxlzz
mainly better graduate prospects and better accommodations

OK. Graduate prospects are captured via the Graduate Outcomes survey and the Longitudinal Education Outcomes (LEO) dataset, both of which can be accessed via the Government's Discover Uni web site.

(Note that sometimes there are insufficient numbers from those surveys, so they group them together with the respondents from similar courses. So watch out for footnotes in data which is supposed to be about Criminology with Psychology which say something like "The data displayed is from students on courses in Social sciences.")
Original post by pxlzz

Hi @pxlzz

I do study Criminology at Lancaster, so thought I could give you an insight into my degree so far.

First year was a lot about learning the foundations for the degree. The module covered a very wide range of topics, and I found this incredibly useful in discovering what I am interested in. I also did psychology as an additional subject in my first year (open to some degrees), and also found these modules really enjoyable and well taught.

In second year there were some compulsory modules, such as one on criminological theories and two on researching criminology. I also took four optional crim modules, and what I quite like about criminology is in some modules, you choose whether you are assessed via an essay or an exam. This really is useful to me as I hate exams haha! Third year for me is also all optional modules, which means I get to foucs on what I am interested in.

More on the department themselves, criminolgy is part of the Law School at Lancaster. There is plenty of study space in the department, and i have always found my lecturers really approachable whenever I need a hand with something. We also have a criminology society at Lancaster who often run different social events which are always fun.

Thats just my little insight and I hope it helps,
Kat
Original post by pxlzz

You might have already firmed Lancaster but from someone who lives near Lancaster I'd say Bristol is much better place to be at uni in. Lancaster is pretty small and not much around even though it's a lovely area. The campus is also quite far out the city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending