At GCSE i achieved:
3 science IGCSE: A* A* A*
IGCSE maths: A*
IGCSE Eng Language: A
IGCSE Eng Lit: D
GCSE French: D
and 2 more A* and 2 more A and a B.

So i achieved 6A* 3A B and 2D.

I am interested in the sciences at Oxbridge (y12). Will the 2D's have a large impact when it comes to admissions? (I self taught the B grade in ICT in yr 9).

Thanks, James.
Reply 1
I'm not sure about Oxbridge but I got an E and a D in my GCSE's and I went on to college and I'm now receiving interviews for universities so they obviously haven't had much of an impact on me.

You have you core Science, Maths and English so in all honesty I can't see it being that much of a problem, in fact, you did really well getting A* - B grades. Well done!
Original post by jamesgates1
At GCSE i achieved:
3 science IGCSE: A* A* A*
IGCSE maths: A*
IGCSE Eng Language: A
IGCSE Eng Lit: D
GCSE French: D
and 2 more A* and 2 more A and a B.

So i achieved 6A* 3A B and 2D.

I am interested in the sciences at Oxbridge (y12). Will the 2D's have a large impact when it comes to admissions? (I self taught the B grade in ICT in yr 9).

Thanks, James.

I don't know about IGCSE, but Oxbridge will definitely require a C or above in English.

Oxford generally look at the number of A*'s you have at GCSE and although you have 6 A*s, the D in English is likely to hinder your application hugely.

Cambridge on the other hand, look at AS-level performance (generally averaging 90% UMS).

Give both an email, see what they say.
Reply 3
Original post by TheStudent18
I don't know about IGCSE, but Oxbridge will definitely require a C or above in English.

Oxford generally look at the number of A*'s you have at GCSE and although you have 6 A*s, the D in English is likely to hinder your application hugely.

Cambridge on the other hand, look at AS-level performance (generally averaging 90% UMS).

Give both an email, see what they say.

The D for English only applies to Language i believe?
I do not think the two D grades will have a negative impact on you simply because your overall GCSE grades outhweight the 2 D's and because you already have A*-B grades in Maths, English and Science which is needed in life and with regards to you, you should be fine. 3A*s in the sciences show you are more than capable to study sciences at your chosen uni.

Good luck in advance.
The D for English only applies to Language i believe?

Yeah you're right there, but with a university such as Oxford, I think it will still have a negative impact.

Most people that apply to Oxbridge have straight A*'s in everything... It's so competitive.

Still, email them and ask. :smile:

Let us know how you get on, good luck.
Reply 6
You're fine for Cambridge, if maybe a bit below average. I'd say chances at Oxford are quite slim. But if you get good UMS grades at AS (85+) then feel free to give Cambridge a shot. It's surprising who they choose sometimes and who they don't (they were crazy enough to give me an offer!).
Reply 7
Original post by TVIO
You're fine for Cambridge, if maybe a bit below average. I'd say chances at Oxford are quite slim. But if you get good UMS grades at AS (85+) then feel free to give Cambridge a shot. It's surprising who they choose sometimes and who they don't (they were crazy enough to give me an offer!).

Can i ask why Oxford would have a different view on it than Cambridge?
Reply 8
Can i ask why Oxford would have a different view on it than Cambridge?

They just generally use GCSEs far more in their process and the chances of getting in are statistically much lower if you have lower GCSEs. Cambridge's ones are a bit more favourable I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending