The Student Room Group

Psychology BSc at Kings College

Hi, so here's my situation,
I'm a year 12 student studying psychology, sociology and business. In my december mocks i achieved ACC (1% off A*/2% off B/3 marks off B) and in my mocks in june i am hoping to achieve A*AA.
My dream uni is kings college where i want to study psychology. But here's my problem, KCL requires A*AA which is fine for me, if everything goes to plan lol. But they want a 6 in maths, but i got a 4😬. But i have a lot of things i want to put in my personal statement, i have applied for psychology prefect and gender equality ambassador, i do a lot of wider reading on psychology, i have work experience in july with psychological therapies, im hoping to volenteer with young offenders and I'm doing MOOCs in clinical psychology and criminal psychology. I'm also a good student and all of my UCAS references are positive.
So i'm wondering if i may still have a chance of getting accepted if i have the required predicted A-Level grades, a really good personal statement and good UCAS references without the 6 in maths?
Original post by lolpsych123
Hi, so here's my situation,
I'm a year 12 student studying psychology, sociology and business. In my december mocks i achieved ACC (1% off A*/2% off B/3 marks off B) and in my mocks in june i am hoping to achieve A*AA.
My dream uni is kings college where i want to study psychology. But here's my problem, KCL requires A*AA which is fine for me, if everything goes to plan lol. But they want a 6 in maths, but i got a 4😬. But i have a lot of things i want to put in my personal statement, i have applied for psychology prefect and gender equality ambassador, i do a lot of wider reading on psychology, i have work experience in july with psychological therapies, im hoping to volenteer with young offenders and I'm doing MOOCs in clinical psychology and criminal psychology. I'm also a good student and all of my UCAS references are positive.
So i'm wondering if i may still have a chance of getting accepted if i have the required predicted A-Level grades, a really good personal statement and good UCAS references without the 6 in maths?

Degree-level Psychology is often very maths-heaving, particularly statistics, which is the reason King's are requesting a grade 6 or above in Maths at GCSE. Generally speaking, universities are not very flexible with regards to GCSE grades.

The fact that they point out that "Functional Skills, and Numeracy modules studied within an Access to HE diploma, are not accepted for this programme to meet the GCSE/IGCSE requirements" does tend to suggest that they keen for people to have the actual GCSE grade they've stipulated as being "required".

However, the only people who'd be able to answer your question accurately would be King's themselves. Different ways to contact them are detailed here.

Quick Reply

Latest