The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Not sure if we should be playing against Chelsea.. I feel like we're easy enough to rip apart if you're a good team.

Fixed. :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
just seen MOTD.
soton got sooooo lucky, although they haven't had THAT much luck this season so i guess it's fair enough.

but spurs...wow - maybe it's harsh or naive to say, but i feel like the main reason why spurs are 5th is simply an unusual amount of luck this season (similar to united in a sense).
(edited 9 years ago)
How many games has Spurs won that becomes 2-1 and an eriksen goal late on. It's so ****ing jammy. Watch them lose next week.
Original post by jam277
How many games has Spurs won that becomes 2-1 and an eriksen goal late on. It's so ****ing jammy. Watch them lose next week.

exactly.
i hate saying that a team after 22 games are where the are because of "luck" but i find no other explanation.
any other season, spurs would have drawn most of those games and they would be much lower down.

somebody just needs to absolutely demolish them - with kane scoring, eriksen in form along with all that luck, their confidence is too high for my liking.
they have arsenal and liverpool within 3 days of each other in february; hopefully they'll be sent back down to where they belong.
Eriksen is essentially doing a Bale. Kane adding to the numbers recently too.

Watch him become 79 in FIFA next season.
Eriksen does take some beautiful free kicks. Surely one of the best in the league.
Original post by jam277
Eriksen is essentially doing a Bale. Kane adding to the numbers recently too.

Watch him become 79 in FIFA next season.

pisses me off - football isn't fair but they don't deserve to be that high up.
united have been lucky but at least they've occasionally put in a decent performance.

Original post by Fizzel
Eriksen does take some beautiful free kicks. Surely one of the best in the league.

Gerrard > Yaya Toure > Eriksen :cool:
srs.
In the past 12 gameweeks they've won 7 matches 2-1. **** this bull****.
Original post by jam277
In the past 12 gameweeks they've won 7 matches 2-1. **** this bull****.

At least 5 of those have been either Eriksen specials or last 5 minute winners (usually both).

Its a freak season for them - they're using up their luck for the next 5 years.
They still won't make CL anyway, just pisses me off to see a team so consistently lucky.

They need to get taken down a peg, especially since they beat Chelsea.
We always destroy them anyway, Liverpool will sort them out :wink:
Original post by cBay
you really don't like the 3-4-3 do you? :P the fact is we've been better defensively since we've started using it.

I just think it can be very easy to negate?

Chelsea play a 4-2-3-1. That means Mourinho will have a player like Hazard/Willian//Oscar/Schurrle sit in the space behind our wingback (Markovic or Moreno) and then just aim to break on the counter in those spaces and run at our fullbacks. Our defensive players like Lucas and Henderson won't really be in a position to protect them since they don't cover across as much in this formation.

If our wingbacks are tracking their wingers, their fullbacks will just push up the pitch too. We saw against Villa that Sterling and Coutinho are narrower so they don't track the fullback as much (see how much space Hutton got). So we end up having 3 up front but not working hard enough tracking back and Chelsea have too much quality to allow them to do that.

I would match them in a 4-2-3-1

Borini
Coutinho Henderson Sterling
Lucas Can
Moreno Sakho Skrtel Manquillo
Mignolet

Have Henderson sit on Fabregas and look to break from there. We have to stop their midfield (Matic/Fabregas) from dominating the midfield and our wingers need to work hard and track their fullbacks.
Original post by jam277

In February, Spurs' fixture list looks like:

Arsenal (H)
Liverpool (A)
Fiorentina (H)
West Ham (H)
Fiorentina (A)

Hoping we see them drop down the league during that run :colondollar:

Saying that, I just saw our Feb fixtures which aren't any easier..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel

Yh he's got some great whip on his freekicks. I love his freekicks that have a controlled technique more than the Ronaldo/Drogba hit and hopers that go flat then swerve in any direction.
Original post by jam277
Yh he's got some great whip on his freekicks. I love his freekicks that have a controlled technique more than the Ronaldo/Drogba hit and hopers that go flat then swerve in any direction.

Same. Can't stand the way Ronaldo/Drogba/Bale hit the ball. Much prefer a classic Beckham-style whip. Fabio Aurelio was great at it for us back in the day, too.
Original post by Mackay
Same. Can't stand the way Ronaldo/Drogba/Bale hit the ball. Much prefer a classic Beckham-style whip. Fabio Aurelio was great at it for us back in the day, too.

Yeah. Bale can put whip in his freekicks sometimes and they can put a great freekick sometimes but about 90% of the time it hits the wall or goes over while with Beckham, Messi or Pirlo any time he's in a good position you know that they'll test the keeper.
Original post by jam277
Yeah. Bale can put whip in his freekicks sometimes and they can put a great freekick sometimes but about 90% of the time it hits the wall or goes over while with Beckham, Messi or Pirlo any time he's in a good position you know that they'll test the keeper.

Seems like players like Ronaldo and Drogba let the ball do the work for them, whereas with Beckham it was all in his technique and bend.
Bleh Arsenal look like they will pick up 3 points today.

That means Man Utd, Southampton, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool all won this weekend. No progress to 4th for us..
you had one job city!

That means Man Utd, Southampton, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and Liverpool all won this weekend. No progress to 4th for us..

That Leicester City result still pisses me off to date, oh well, we still have EL.
City were really poor today but tbf Arsenal played really well and made things very difficult for City. Such a shame City couldn't at least get a draw.

We just need to keep winning our games to ensure we don't fall behind the rest of the pack for 4th place. Our next match is West Ham at home and it will be quite difficult but we have more than enough quality to beat them.

at least we didn't fall behind; we did as much as we could've done.
it's a hell of a lot better than us losing and then our rivals losing because when that happens, you know you missed a big opportunity.
being 4 points away is much worse than being a point behind but we're in great form and our best player is about to return for a BIG match against west ham.

from the last 6 games, points totals are:

Southampton: 16
Liverpool: 14
Chelsea: 13
Arsenal: 13
Spurs: 13
Man City: 11
Man United: 9
West Ham: 8

we have the second best form in the league right now and with sturridge set to return, it's not looking too bad.
united fans have been so cocky thinking top 4 is guaranteed but their luck is running out.
west ham don't have the quality keep pace for the rest of the campaign and spurs cannot possibly have a full season of late winners.

southampton worry me; they had a terrible losing streak in november/december but they seem to have bounced back even stronger. they're the bloody best team in the league on form...
it's quite possible that united and arsenal could both finish outside of the top 4 this season.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest