The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingStannis
Sorry I live in the real world where people aren't always nice to each other. You're naive.

There's a difference between being unpleasant towards someone and torturing them. If this happened between adults it would be a serious crime with a custodial sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peter rocks
Sorry but the level of bullying you expressed is definitely abnormal. The harshest thing that happened to me is that i was pushed hardly to the wall in the school corridor. The reason you think the way you do is because you have seen and experienced some terrible things while you were at school and you seem to think that's the real life, while in reality it's not.

I'm assuming this is aimed at me.

If the rest of the world is such a nice place, fair enough. But I simply don't believe it is.

But that's getting away from my thoughts on the matter anyway. For most bullying, you can get over it. For really serious stuff, teachers can get involved.

If you're getting bullied for being homosexual, for example, you can move schools and pretend you're not homosexual there. You shouldn't have to hide your identity like that, but not letting people know you're homosexual for 5 years of your life (while presumably getting what you can get outside of school) is not the end of the world. It's not really any different than if you're Autistic.

I take issue on the war against "homophobic language" also. "Gay" etc has undergone a semantic shift away from homosexuality, just as it became associated with homosexuality in the first place. You can't attack attitudes by attacking phonetic sounds.
Original post by AspiringMedic8
There's a difference between being unpleasant towards someone and torturing them. If this happened between adults it would be a serious crime with a custodial sentence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait where has torture been discussed:s-smilie:??
Wait where has torture been discussed:s-smilie:??

Urinating on people's clothes, tying them up in cupboards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Urinating on people's clothes, tying them up in cupboards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

His clothes weren't urinated on, and that isn't torture. Being tied up isn't torture either.

Honestly, the tying up one isn't that bad. The lad's on good terms with everybody now. I'm not sure why I picked it as an example, as compared to the first example and other stuff that went on it was tame.
His clothes weren't urinated on, and that isn't torture. Being tied up isn't torture either.

Honestly, the tying up one isn't that bad. The lad's on good terms with everybody now. I'm not sure why I picked it as an example, as compared to the first example and other stuff that went on it was tame.

Torture is defined as: "A cause of great mental or physical suffering."

Those repulsive acts would definitely cause mental suffering. If the police had been informed I am sure there would have been a prosecution.

What do you want us to say? "OMG m8 your school sounds so sick!!"

Your school wasn't normal. Just because you were educated around a bunch of sociopaths it doesn't mean it is acceptable or a 'rite of passage' for people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Torture is defined as: "A cause of great mental or physical suffering."

Those repulsive acts would definitely cause mental suffering. If the police had been informed I am sure there would have been a prosecution.

What do you want us to say? "OMG m8 your school sounds so sick!!"

Your school wasn't normal. Just because you were educated around a bunch of sociopaths it doesn't mean it is acceptable or a 'rite of passage' for people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going by that definition pretty much anything can be considered torture. Your football team loses, and you suffer great mental suffering as a result? No, you have not been tortured.

I'm sure the police have more important things to do then spend thousands of pounds and weeks of time prosecuting school bullies.

My school being particularly bad (I'm sure it isn't) doesn't negate the fact that getting your trousers pulled down is not that bad. I had that happen to me loads of times and it wasn't the worst thing to happen to me, and I don't even think I was bullied.
Going by that definition pretty much anything can be considered torture. Your football team loses, and you suffer great mental suffering as a result? No, you have not been tortured.

I'm sure the police have more important things to do then spend thousands of pounds and weeks of time prosecuting school bullies.

My school being particularly bad (I'm sure it isn't) doesn't negate the fact that getting your trousers pulled down is not that bad. I had that happen to me loads of times and it wasn't the worst thing to happen to me, and I don't even think I was bullied.

The next time you hear of a gay teenager's suicide, see if you can continue to justify the insignificance of homophobic bullying upon people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The next time you hear of a gay teenager's suicide, see if you can continue to justify the insignificance of homophobic bullying upon people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can guarantee that nobody has ever committed suicide because they were kegged once.
We should be closing secondary schools, not opening more. They're a waste.

Buit since that's not going to happen, I'm fine with this. The pupils are going to be delighted to be segregated. That's the whole point. School has segregation within its walls anyway, a little more to remove negativity won't harm anyone. I wish I could've been segregated from bullies at my school.

Trying to pretend everyone's the same doesn't work. Uniforms don't work, people still form groups, people still get singled out.

The only problem is what happens when an LGBT kid realises they're actually straight? Not just because of what that means for their place in the school, but how the kid is going to react. Is it going to be an ironic reversal where the kid is in an environment that's trying to convince them they're gay when they know deep down they're not?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Peter rocks
What i find comical is the people who say that we should mix LGBT people with Straights to teach them how to deal with homophobia and make others understand that gay people are normal. Firstly, religious/Asian people will Never learn to treat LGBT students or people in general as equals, and this is a hard fact because you can't change religions and cultures.

Secondly, IF we will achieve tolerance and equality(Europe, Oceania and North/South America) which i highly doubt we will, then it will take at least 20-30 years. It won't be anytime soon, and LGBT community will need to go through lots of discrimination, this is also a brute fact while afterwards there will still be Homophones just like there are still racists.

Finally, the world is a corrupt place, and those that say we should teach people to accept the minorities are basically saying we should let them be bullied and discriminated because whether you want to see it or not, generally people will NOT like two gays holding hands close them, or kissing each other near them and this is another brute fact. Hell i think that you can get killed in Egypt if you commit homosexual act, i think. Overall, i have no complains about building this school. Other than LGBT students will be easily identified and as i said employers refusing to hire LGBT students, this would be the only discrimination they would be facing, except the norm they are already getting.

I am religious,yet I am not homophobic, the majority of Asian people I know are not homophobic. By definition, cultures change. Is British culture the same as it was 200 years ago?
Just because equality hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for it.
LGBT students would probably face far more discrimination because they are separated and so may feel alienated from others.
All discrimination against LGBT students is too much. The status quo is not good enough.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Also, a kid's sexual orientation is not always determined from a young age. As one of the first posters said, it would also open many kids to the promiscuity within the homosexual world at a very early age (this might sound horrible and I'm sorry if it does! I'm obviously not homophobic but against the exclusion of students for their orientations, beliefs and so on).

The LGBT students are the ones chosing to go to a "special school". It's not like they have to. Many of them would probably go to a "normal school" anyway. They're just giving these kids another choice.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Also, a kid's sexual orientation is not always determined from a young age. As one of the first posters said, it would also open many kids to the promiscuity within the homosexual world at a very early age

What a profoundly stupid comment. What on earth does that even mean? Everyone is free to do what they want; some gay men do sleep around, an equal number (perhaps a greater number) in my experience are in long-term monogamous relationships.

Interestingly enough, the kind of people who are so deeply concerned about the alleged promiscuity in the homosexual world are the same kind who were determined to deny gay people access to the institution of marriage. There's a word for that; hypocrisy
This thread is clickbaity bull**** because it implies the proposal is for LGBT people to have their own schools generally.

That is not the proposal, it is to create a single school which will welcome LGBT kids who have struggled in mainstream schools, but will also be open to single mothers and people with mental health issues.

Personally, I think the people proposing this school are about 20 years behind the times. If someone is an ordinary LGBT kid, and given the ever-decreasing levels of homophobia even in schools (I had no problems at school and I was out when I was 15), they'd probably be better off staying in mainstream school than segregating themselves away in a school for people with mental health problems.

Also, this lets the school management off the hook. It's the bullies who should be excluded, not the LGBT kids (if you put it like that, I bet there are some people who are arguing against this who will change their position and argue in favour of it, say "normal" schools shouldn't have to change to accomodate gays).

Funnily enough, in the experience of a few people I know, it was actually the school management / heads who were more homophobic than the students, and they justified their own homophobia with claims about what the students would be like (i.e. "You can't come to the formal with a same-sex partner as you will get bullied" when in fact the students are wholly supportive. Some people are so pathetic if they have to hide behind children to cover their bigotry)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
A school for LGBT pupils is planned for Manchester.

"This is about saving lives,” said Amelia Lee, strategic director for LGBT Youth North West, the youth work charity behind the plans. “Despite the laws that claim to protect gay people from homophobic bullying, the truth is that in schools especially, bullying is still incredibly common and causes young people to feel isolated and alienated, which often leads to truanting and, in the worst-case scenarios, to suicide.”

"The school will be specifically designed for LGBT young people who are struggling in mainstream schools, but will be open to other children, including young carers, young parents and those with mental health problems. “It will be LGBT-inclusive, but not exclusive,” said Lee."

Is segregating pupils the right solution, or should we be focusing attention on eliminating homophobia from mainstream schools?

This isn't about saving lives. This is all about identity politics and forcing segregation because that's what followers of identity politics like to do. Feel unnecvessarily victimised and fail to mix.
Original post by young_guns
This thread is clickbaity bull**** because it implies the proposal is for LGBT people to have their own schools generally.

That is not the proposal, it is to create a single school which will welcome LGBT kids who have struggled in mainstream schools, but will also be open to single mothers and people with mental health issues.

Personally, I think the people proposing this school are about 20 years behind the times. If someone is an ordinary LGBT kid, and given the ever-decreasing levels of homophobia even in schools (I had no problems at school and I was out when I was 15), they'd probably be better off staying in mainstream school than segregating themselves away in a school for people with mental health problems.

Also, this lets the school management off the hook. It's the bullies who should be excluded, not the LGBT kids (if you put it like that, I bet there are some people who are arguing against this who will change their position and argue in favour of it, say "normal" schools shouldn't have to change to accomodate gays).

Funnily enough, in the experience of a few people I know, it was actually the school management / heads who were more homophobic than the students, and they justified their own homophobia with claims about what the students would be like (i.e. "You can't come to the formal with a same-sex partner as you will get bullied" when in fact the students are wholly supportive. Some people are so pathetic if they have to hide behind children to cover their bigotry)

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MatureStudent36
This isn't about saving lives. This is all about identity politics and forcing segregation because that's what followers of identity politics like to do. Feel unnecvessarily victimised and fail to mix.

You're an idiot. You've not read the article, have you?

This school is not for all LGBT people. There won't be a "straight" school where all the heterosexuals go and a "gay" school where all the homosexuals go. You won't declare your sexuality and then get placed at a school. For the final time, this establishment will be for 40 young people who are having such horrific experiences in school that they are going to either drop out of education, or harm themselves unless they receive an alternative provision.

Please read things before posting with such strong views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're an idiot. You've not read the article, have you?

This school is not for all LGBT people. There won't be a "straight" school where all the heterosexuals go and a "gay" school where all the homosexuals go. You won't declare your sexuality and then get placed at a school. For the final time, this establishment will be for 40 young people who are having such horrific experiences in school that they are going to either drop out of education, or harm themselves unless they receive an alternative provision.

Please read things before posting with such strong views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So 40 people having seperate educatin needs isn't seperating them?
this establishment will be for 40 young people who are having such horrific experiences in school that they are going to either drop out of education, or harm themselves unless they receive an alternative provision.

With respect, it will be a ghetto into which heads can dump the victims of bullying because life is easier that way whilst seeking to persuade the students that it is all for their own good because they will be with people like themselves.
Kids are beastly anyone who is different is potentially a victim. Schools need to be robust in managing intolerant views of others. We can't really keep removing minorities because schools can't control bullying. There were a couple of gays in my son's year at school, no problem no bullying of them. A well run independent school where tolerance is the rule not the exception. I understand the logic but feel uneasy with removing minority groups from mainstream society as it were , potential to make matters worse. What about those with ginger hair etc etc....

Latest

Trending

Trending