The Student Room Group

What to do with a 2:2 Psychology Degree?

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out

I'm currently working in a secondary school supporting children with mental health and behavioural issues. However, I long to do something in the NHS but it all seems a bit overwhelming I don't really know which direction to go in.

I have obtained a 2.2 in my degree in Psychology.

My interests are mental health speech and language and CBT I don't think my grade will allow for much career improvement so I'm feeling quite depressed about it.

What career options will be open to me?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by proy101
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out

I'm currently working in a secondary school supporting children with mental health and behavioural issues. However, I long to do something in the NHS but it all seems a bit overwhelming I don't really know which direction to go in.

I have obtained a 2.2 in my degree in Psychology.

My interests are mental health speech and language and CBT I don't think my grade will allow for much career improvement so I'm feeling quite depressed about it.

What career options will be open to me?

Thanks

You might struggle with psychology roles with a 2:2, unless you do an MSc psychology conversion and try to get a better grade. However, other options that do not require a psychology degree exist. You could retrain as a mental health nurse or a speech and language therapist, you could look into training as a PWP or counsellor and later down the line train as a high intensity CBT therapist.
Just on from Nerol's excellent advice (as always), if you did want to do an MSc Psychology conversion course there are a few high quality providers who would accept a 2:2 degree. Arden University might be worth checking out, I did mine there and had a great time. Their virtual learning environment is great, and there is a mixture of a blended learning option with 50% time spent on site in say London, leeds, Birmingham or Manchester, or 100% online.

For any provider, check out their Teaching Excellence Framework report which is heavily based on student feedback, readily available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
For those sort of gigs a mental health nursing qualification can open a lot of doors. It is a core profession to be able to access formal CBT training, it allows you to work across a number of different sectors and it is a job heavily in demand. Your 2:2 in psych will be a plus compared to your competition coming out of A-levels and schools. Definitely look into that.

Quick Reply

Latest