The Student Room Group

Revising everyday until exams?

I want to do well ib my ASs, (90% avg). Am i, by revising everyday until the exam period, a good thing? (I dont get stressed or anything mentally. I dont want to relax now and before i know, its april. My target grade is AAAA and im working on a ABCC. I can leave all my social life behind me for the next 3/4 months and concentrate, im more than willing to do so.

Is this the right mindset? I plan on revising ~ 15 hours a week; going to the library on weekends, getting to school early (i do this anyway), and leaving a little late (if i can), plus a lot more like giving in extra work to my teachers to mark. I'm also getting myself a laptop, for Computer Science and to use microsoft word for my other subjects etc etc.

Thanks
Overworking yourself is bad, yes. But controlled and managed working is actually very helpful for your grades! :tongue: . Yes, you can start doing some extra work now, but don't overdo it. At the moment, you should be going back over the work you have already done, at a nice, slow pace, making sure you understand the underlying concepts of your lessons. The step up from GCSE to A-level is tough, so making sure you fully understand is your priority at the moment. Proper revision, as in, sticking in 6/7 extra hours a day, should be left until 6-8 weeks before your exams. If you stick in that much work now, you will burn-out when you get to the revision period and you think you should be doing more :yep:

So take it nice and slowly. Do an extra 2/3 hours or so each day only at the moment making sure you understand everything. Leave the head-on revision until later :h:
Reply 2
Yes thats what i said; 15hrs/week = 2hrs/day
Original post by Nirgilis
Overworking yourself is bad, yes. But controlled and managed working is actually very helpful for your grades! :tongue: . Yes, you can start doing some extra work now, but don't overdo it. At the moment, you should be going back over the work you have already done, at a nice, slow pace, making sure you understand the underlying concepts of your lessons. The step up from GCSE to A-level is tough, so making sure you fully understand is your priority at the moment. Proper revision, as in, sticking in 6/7 extra hours a day, should be left until 6-8 weeks before your exams. If you stick in that much work now, you will burn-out when you get to the revision period and you think you should be doing more :yep:

So take it nice and slowly. Do an extra 2/3 hours or so each day only at the moment making sure you understand everything. Leave the head-on revision until later :h:
Original post by naxiv
Yes thats what i said; 15hrs/week = 2hrs/day

Then that's okay :tongue:
Reply 4
Thanks for that advice
Im getting a laptop and for every subject, i'll make revision notes from what ive learn from the start.
:smile: :smile:
Are you doing doing AS/A2s? If not what did you get?
Original post by Nirgilis
Then that's okay :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by naxiv
I want to do well ib my ASs, (90% avg). Am i, by revising everyday until the exam period, a good thing? (I dont get stressed or anything mentally. I dont want to relax now and before i know, its april. My target grade is AAAA and im working on a ABCC. I can leave all my social life behind me for the next 3/4 months and concentrate, im more than willing to do so.

Is this the right mindset? I plan on revising ~ 15 hours a week; going to the library on weekends, getting to school early (i do this anyway), and leaving a little late (if i can), plus a lot more like giving in extra work to my teachers to mark. I'm also getting myself a laptop, for Computer Science and to use microsoft word for my other subjects etc etc.

Thanks

I began my revision 6 weeks prior to my AS's and got over 90% in all my subjects including 100% in one of them.
Perhaps you would want to start 8 weeks/2 months before exams begin but don't go crazy or you'll get bored, run out of work etc.
Abandoning social life etc. and just focusing on one thing is not a good study technique you're better to study a bit less and balance it with seeing friends, and physical activity as it keeps you brain and mind far healthier making it easier to learn things
Original post by naxiv
Thanks for that advice
Im getting a laptop and for every subject, i'll make revision notes from what ive learn from the start.
:smile: :smile:
Are you doing doing AS/A2s? If not what did you get?

I did my A-levels 4 years ago now, and ended up with 4 A grades at A2 level :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest