The Student Room Group

gcse medicine requirements

Scroll to see replies

Hi moderator.. could you DM me to clarify a procedural matter? Thanks
Original post by mazzletazzle
Evidence?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

I also thought it was a well-established fact that many top-ranking medical schools, including UCL, even admit they prefer students who have a contrasting non-science subject.

Stop spreading around myths.
Original post by Walt_14

I also thought it was a well-established fact that many top-ranking medical schools, including UCL, even admit they prefer students who have a contrasting non-science subject.

Stop spreading around myths.

My point was about the competition. You seem to have missed it. How many SUCCESSFUL applicants to Oxbridge / UCL have Drama in their 3 A2 subjects?

See my previous posts specific to Cambridge - stats freely available...

No need for negativity. Let's all be friends.
(edited 9 years ago)

My point was about the competition. You seem to have missed it. How many SUCCESSFUL applicants to Oxbridge / UCL have Drama in their 3 A2 subjects?

That's drama though. Obviously no good medical school will accept a mickey mouse blacklisted subject like that as a "rigorous, academic third A-Level". But that absolutely does not mean you need all three sciences or maths + two sciences (bar Cambridge). Tell me what's wrong with having History, English Literature, Geography, a language or even Psychology as a third subject. Bar the latter, they're all facilitating subjects - why would medical schools discriminate against those who don't have A-Levels that are of little relevance to medicine just because "everyone else did it" (which I even doubt is the case)? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use that as a determiner.
Original post by Walt_14
That's drama though. Obviously no good medical school will accept a mickey mouse blacklisted subject like that as a "rigorous, academic third A-Level". But that absolutely does not mean you need all three sciences or maths + two sciences (bar Cambridge). Tell me what's wrong with having History, English Literature, Geography, a language or even Psychology as a third subject. Bar the latter, they're all facilitating subjects - why would medical schools discriminate against those who don't have A-Levels that are of little relevance to medicine just because "everyone else did it" (which I even doubt is the case)? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use that as a determiner.

I agree that should be the case but the stats for certain places speak for themselves.... when up against students with the complete set it would be difficult to have the edge with say, Bi,Ch and English Literature... I am not saying its impossible. I am saying that the competition have the full set and therefore this is something worth considering.

By the same token Cambridge are very clear to say that they do not specify any number of GCSE A* YET in all likelihood the competition will have an average of 5+ (based on their own analysis)... to pretend this isn't true would be naive and not to share this info would be disingenous .. i'm not scaremongering.. i'm being real with KS4 students who have time to sort their grades out

no beef (despite your rather direct introduction)
Original post by Walt_14

PS - I just got into Cambridge with 'mickey mouse' drama +Eng lit + History + Classics just wouldn't have it for medicine app!
I agree that should be the case but the stats for certain places speak for themselves.... when up against students with the complete set it would be difficult to have the edge with say, Bi,Ch and English Literature... I am not saying its impossible. I am saying that the competition have the full set and therefore this is something worth considering.

By the same token Cambridge are very clear to say that they do not specify any number of GCSE A* YET in all likelihood the competition will have an average of 5+ (based on their own analysis)... to pretend this isn't true would be naive and not to share this info would be disingenous .. i'm not scaremongering.. i'm being real with KS4 students who have time to sort their grades out

no beef (despite your rather direct introduction)

I agree that any less than 5 A*s simply won't do for Cambridge, but again I assumed it was common knowledge that they'd ask for at least 7. It's Cambridge​, after al.
Original post by Walt_14
I agree that any less than 5 A*s simply won't do for Cambridge, but again I assumed it was common knowledge that they'd ask for at least 7. It's Cambridge​, after al.

I got in with 3.... you never know...

Had v good As grades though and went to a crappy state school (guess that mattered a bit). So far everyone else on my course has WAY higher GCSEs...
Regarding options, it doesn't matter which subject you pick as your third or fourth (unless you're applying to Cambridge/UCL). Having all sciences/maths will not give you an advantage when applying to most Medical Schools.

You've done well... most applicants have three science/2+maths

"(as most of your competitors will - even if the med school does not specify both...)"

He messaged and asked about a Cambridge application so I gave him my honest and informed opinion (with 5 friends with Oxbridge medical offers) - the Cambridge statistics show most applicants have 5 AS Levels of which 4 are carried through. In over 80% of applicants this included a set of 3... realism is important if he is to get there.

I'd be interested to see the Cambridge statistics showing most applicants have 5 AS levels, please?.

Hi moderator.. could you DM me to clarify a procedural matter? Thanks

If you make a new thread in Ask A Moderator (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=266), the relevant moderator will be able to assist you. :smile:

Original post by Examstuffxoxo
I heard that you had to achieve all A* at GCSE to even consider medicine.. (Or at least 10A*)
I'm currently considering medicine- and am doing 13 GCSE's.

That's not true at all.

Original post by player_bpy
I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm in Yr 11 and want to do medicine.

My grades are:

Maths - A/A*
Chemistry - A/A*
Biology - A/A*
Physics - A/A*
E Lit - A
E Lang - A
Business Studies - A*
Drama - B
Geography - A
Health & Social Care (B-Tec) - Distinction*
Urdu - A*

Do you guys think i stand a chance of getting into a decent uni for medicine

All Medical Schools are good - they're fine.
PS - I just got into Cambridge with 'mickey mouse' drama +Eng lit + History + Classics just wouldn't have it for medicine app!

What part of as a third or fourth A-Level don't you understand? You haven't even the slightest chance without Chemistry (and most likely Biology), yeah... no one's disputing that? :confused:

I merely stated that I can't imagine your third or fourth subject mattering too much provided it's at least reasonably academically rigorous. Drama clearly doesn't fit into that category, nor does Classics. But those middle two do it just fine. And I quite clearly acknowledged that Cambridge requires, in addition to Chemistry and Biology, either Maths or Physics but it's not as if it's the only good medical school in the nation, is it?
Original post by usycool1

I'd be interested to see the Cambridge statistics showing most applicants have 5 AS levels, please?.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

618 UCAS points 560 = 4A*...
Original post by Walt_14
What part of as a third or fourth A-Level don't you understand? You haven't even the slightest chance without Chemistry (and most likely Biology), yeah... no one's disputing that? :confused:

I merely stated that I can't imagine your third or fourth subject mattering too much provided it's at least reasonably academically rigorous. Drama clearly doesn't fit into that category, nor does Classics. But those middle two do it just fine. And I quite clearly acknowledged that Cambridge requires, in addition to Chemistry and Biology, either Maths or Physics but it's not as if it's the only good medical school in the nation, is it?

Not sure what happened with the first part - we're in agreement...

Agree about the 3/4 subject but may not be the reality...

Camb is certainly not the only school....

I made the point about Drama as a slight aside - don't take it as a personal attack :smile:

Classics is actually 'preferred' for History though listed as 'generally less useful' for Medicine as we agree (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations
Not sure what happened with the first part - we're in agreement...

Agree about the 3/4 subject but may not be the reality...

Camb is certainly not the only school....

I made the point about Drama as a slight aside - don't take it as a personal attack :smile:

Classics is actually 'preferred' for History though listed as 'generally less useful' for Medicine as we agree (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptable-level-subject-combinations

Ah, fair enough. Apologies.
Reply 34
I would say do whatever you want for your third subject, do physics/ maths if you enjoy either but don't do them just because you think you should as it's much harder to get an A in something you don't like. Also as a quick note the only person at my school to ever get all 4 medicine offers was someone who did biology, chemistry and history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Walt_14
Ah, fair enough. Apologies.

All oood bro
Original post by 96s
I would say do whatever you want for your third subject, do physics/ maths if you enjoy either but don't do them just because you think you should as it's much harder to get an A in something you don't like. Also as a quick note the only person at my school to ever get all 4 medicine offers was someone who did biology, chemistry and history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to hear there is some sense in the world
Original post by Walt_14
Absolute nonsense. 10 A*s or over would mean you needn't worry which medical school you apply to but no way on Earth is it a prerequisite for being in any position to even apply medicine, not even top universities (aka Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL) ask for that.

I agree, I spoke to one medical student recently who had no A*s!
Getting 10A*s puts you in a good position, but it still doesn't guarantee a place. You could have fantastic academic results, but no personality when it comes to the interview and be rejected on that basis- medical schools are looking for the 'full package' as such.

I'm in year 12 now, having got my GCSE results last summer. I would definitely recommend you strive for as many A*s and As as possible. Then you'll be in a very strong position ready to apply in Year 13. I will be applying to do medicine in October and because I knew in year 10/11 that's what I wanted to do, I worked really hard and now I am so grateful I did, results day was the best!

I'm pretty sure that the average Oxford medic has 10 A*s at GCSE, so Oxford definitely looks at GCSEs (as does Birmingham), although by no means does it imply that all medical schools ask for 10+A*s. Otherwise, we may have a shortage of medical students!!

Hope I helped, if you want any advice regarding GCSEs/revision prep etc. pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by johney37
Hi, I plan to study medicine and at the moment i now study 10 gcses,which are the following
target grades
1.maths B
2.biology A*
3.chemistry A*
4.physics A*
5.history A*
6.geography B
7.citizenship B
8.drama B
9.english language A
10. English literature B

Hypothetically if i got these grades at gcse which I plan to get would i be able to study medicine at say 3/4 years time after my a-levels as i am in yr 11 now,could someone please tell me what advantages i have,what do i need to improve on and HOW!

Any other advice would be grateful,literally anything! also i have about 4 months till exams so how much revision should i be doing and no one please say"oh i didn't do any till April or may" because that's not me.

thanks

Remember, at the end of the day those are just TARGET grades, what you should be getting really try to beat them the fact you've got separate sciences lead me to think you're doing Triple and in that case you have no real exams this year as you're in Year 10 hence I would advise you to really use these mocks to really hone your revision techniques and see what works best for you
Reply 39
Original post by johney37
Hi, I plan to study medicine and at the moment i now study 10 gcses,which are the following
target grades
1.maths B
2.biology A*
3.chemistry A*
4.physics A*
5.history A*
6.geography B
7.citizenship B
8.drama B
9.english language A
10. English literature B

Hypothetically if i got these grades at gcse which I plan to get would i be able to study medicine at say 3/4 years time after my a-levels as i am in yr 11 now,could someone please tell me what advantages i have,what do i need to improve on and HOW!

Any other advice would be grateful,literally anything! also i have about 4 months till exams so how much revision should i be doing and no one please say"oh i didn't do any till April or may" because that's not me.

thanks

You will be fine! I was getting Cs in my mocks and ended up surpassing all my target grades. For medicine have to show your determination through volunteering and work experience over an extended period even if your grades aren't what you wanted.

Focus on English and Maths - a lot of unis want an A*. Youtube videos are good on this, just search by topic, exam board isn't that relevant. I used to listen to Crash Course and Khan Academy in the background when brushing my teeth or eating etc...

And I wouldn't bother with a timetable honestly. Most people I know spent more time making it than sticking to it. The easiest way is just to do a subject a day e.g. 2 week schedule, weekday = subject, saturday = break, sunday = homework.

Good luck! A*s in Triple Science is fab!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending