The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by J-SP
It's usually a simulation of dealing with emails in a fake inbox. The ones I know of ask you to make decisions on how to respond to the emails (usually multiple choice) and then write a substantial email response to one of them. You are scored on the responses and your written output.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, thanks for your help J-SP!!! :smile:
Reply 1541
Original post by J-SP
It's usually a simulation of dealing with emails in a fake inbox. The ones I know of ask you to make decisions on how to respond to the emails (usually multiple choice) and then write a substantial email response to one of them. You are scored on the responses and your written output.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've noticed that you offer quite a lot of advice regarding the recruitment process on this forum, I hope you don't mind me asking but could you give me some advice on video interviews as I have one on Monday and really don't know what to expect and how to approach it?
Reply 1542
Original post by waza_11
Congrats! I submitted mine on the deadline (15th Jan) for the London office. I still haven't heard anything. In relation to video interviews I've got my first one tomorrow for Hill Dickinson - not too sure what to expect... Good luck with yours! Also where else have you applied to? And also at what stage of your studies are you at if you don't mind me asking?

:biggrin:

I also applied to Nabarro's London office, I think they are working through them in batches so I'm sure you will hear soon enough. Can you let me know hoe your interview goes tomorrow and perhaps give me some tips? I'm currently undertaking the GDL after doing a language degree. How about you?
Original post by almvp
I also applied to Nabarro's London office, I think they are working through them in batches so I'm sure you will hear soon enough. Can you let me know hoe your interview goes tomorrow and perhaps give me some tips? I'm currently undertaking the GDL after doing a language degree. How about you?

I've got the nabarro video interview to do this weekend as well! I've done a video interview before. A question pops up on screen and you have 10-20seconds to think of an answer, then the camera will start recording and you'll have say 2 mins to say your answer to the question, you can stop recording for each question if you finish as well and each question will be back to back, hope that helps :smile:
Long time lurker, first time participant. Had an assessment day with CC last Tuesday and an interview with Slaughter and May the Wednesday before that. Still waiting on a response from both. Anyone any news on either firm?
Original post by Laz_LeBaz
Long time lurker, first time participant. Had an assessment day with CC last Tuesday and an interview with Slaughter and May the Wednesday before that. Still waiting on a response from both. Anyone any news on either firm?

Can I ask what the CC assessment day was like? :smile:
Original post by waza_11
I was under the impression that the video was the next stage? From your comment I understand that the written application AND the video is to be done by all candidates? I had an video interview invite and I'm going to do it tomorrow. Im not too sure of what to expect really...

Hey - I think it is the next round but it says on their website "January: Applications (online form and video submission) close 31 January 2015 for vacation scheme placements." :smile: so I think that you have to have completed it by then if invited?
Reply 1547
Original post by J-SP
It's difficult to give specific advice without knowing more about the process.

The only general advice I can give is to treat it exactly like a face to face interview. Is it one where you record in your own time or is it more like a Skype interview with the interviewer at the other end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is one where I record my answers. I'm just preparing the usual qs and a commercial topic. What do you think?
Reply 1548
Original post by footchemllab
I've got the nabarro video interview to do this weekend as well! I've done a video interview before. A question pops up on screen and you have 10-20seconds to think of an answer, then the camera will start recording and you'll have say 2 mins to say your answer to the question, you can stop recording for each question if you finish as well and each question will be back to back, hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much for the info! Good Luck!
Original post by almvp
Thank you so much for the info! Good Luck!

No problem! You too!
Reply 1550
Has anyone been to an AG a/c?
Reply 1551
How do you handle the pre-interview nerves, and what do you generally do just before your interview? Do you go through your notes or ...? Do you think it's better to commute for one and a half hour or is it better to stay in a hotel in London?

Apologies for those trivial questions. Thanks in advance for any tips.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1552
Original post by J-SP
Commute - you don't need a hotel. Just make sure you leave enough time to get there.

Nerves - prepare yourself in the same way you do as an exam. Different people will have different routines. For instance if it was me, I'd get close to the office early, then find somewhere nearby to treat myself to a nice coffee/breakfast/brunch and then chill out before the assessments. The night before I would do the last minute prep. But some people would prefer to be doing that prep right up until the assessments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought pretty much the same - very reassuring. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Swimmer
On an application form do we have to put all the references that the firm asks for? Only asking because it names "School" as one of the references for education, I am out of touch with my school, and most of the new teachers there are now new...really not sure what to do about this one! Any insight would be appreciated!

Bump
Original post by Swimmer
Bump

Is this for an online form or written app?
So quick question chaps, I am working on an application and the first part of the question is

Use the space below to introduce yourself and tell us why you wish to pursue a legal career.

Now I am rather confused about the introduce yourself bit. I feel repeating my name etc. would be redundant given it is on the application form. What would you advise?
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Is this for an online form or written app?

Written application. They do have a third "optional" work reference - Perhaps I should just use that?
Original post by Swimmer
Written application. They do have a third "optional" work reference - Perhaps I should just use that?

Oh okay - because normally on an online one they indicate which ones you have to fill out.

Is it worth dropping them an email or phoning them? I know that finding a school reference for me would be difficult as many of the teachers that were there when I was have left - does it say that it is compulsory to include a school reference? I would still probably include a work reference, especially if you can't find a school one.
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Oh okay - because normally on an online one they indicate which ones you have to fill out.

Is it worth dropping them an email or phoning them? I know that finding a school reference for me would be difficult as many of the teachers that were there when I was have left - does it say that it is compulsory to include a school reference? I would still probably include a work reference, especially if you can't find a school one.

All it says is please include two educational reference, one of current/recent and one from school. Work is optional. Yeah might have to drop them an email and double check.
Original post by Swimmer
All it says is please include two educational reference, one of current/recent and one from school. Work is optional. Yeah might have to drop them an email and double check.

I would just explain to them that it may be difficult to obtain a school reference for whatever reason and see what they say :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending