The Student Room Group

Physically attractive vs. Humour - which one do you prefer?

I was watching this talk show where there were two people being interviewed; one is a physically attractive person and another one is a person that could crack jokes within seconds. I find the later to attract me more than the former and I'd wonder if humour is on of the best traits in a relationship. The former, although reasonably attractive, is dull and quite frankly, bore me out completely; I thought I'd enjoy the show watching the person but I didn't : /

What do you think? Would you go for a physically attractive person or a person that could crack jokes within seconds?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kka25
I was watching this talk show where there were two people being interviewed; one is a physically attractive person and another one is a person that could crack jokes within seconds. I find the later to attract me more than the former and I'd wonder if humour is on of the best traits in a relationship. The former, although reasonably attractive, is dull and quite frankly, bore me out completely; I thought I'd enjoy the show watching the person but I didn't : /

What do you think? Would you go for a physically attractive person or a person that could crack jokes within seconds?

How physically unattractive is the humorous person? Are we making a choice between 1/10 attractiveness but 10/10 humorous and 5/10 but 10/10? :awesome:
Reply 2
Original post by kka25

Let's not beat around the bush - looks are everything in this modern world; a world where we're obsessed with image.

Anybody who says they "don't care about looks" is lying unfortunately.
Everybody wants somebody hot, it's just that some people will settle for less and accept people who have other nice traits instead.

In a short term, casual sense an attractive person will have much more opportunity with the opposite sex.
In the long term, somebody who is humorous and fun to be around will have better relationships (generally).

I could go on and explain this in greater detail but the unfortunate summary is that in such a vain society, looks beat all.
Original post by Lúcio
Let's not beat around the bush - looks are everything in this modern world; a world where we're obsessed with image.

Anybody who says they "don't care about looks" is lying unfortunately.
Everybody wants somebody hot, it's just that some people will settle for less and accept people who have other nice traits instead.

In a short term, casual sense an attractive person will have much more opportunity with the opposite sex.
In the long term, somebody who is humorous and fun to be around will have better relationships (generally).

I could go on and explain this in greater detail but the unfortunate summary is that in such a vain society, looks beat all.

I agree but I also think people can grow on you and someone who at first glance you might dismiss could become more appealing later as you got to know them, so in that case it's not all about appearance. And plus everyone has different tastes. You might think someone's hot and your friend might say eh. Maybe someone wouldn't like the humorous guy's jokes.
Reply 4
Surely this is a joke, right?
Both are important but humour is more important in the grand scheme of things imo. Can't bare to be around someone with the personality of a lampost for too long. This is obviously in regards to relationships.
Reply 6
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I agree but I also think people can grow on you and someone who at first glance you might dismiss could become more appealing later as you got to know them, so in that case it's not all about appearance. And plus everyone has different tastes. You might think someone's hot and your friend might say eh. Maybe someone wouldn't like the humorous guy's jokes.

Oh I agree completely.
The biggest issue you have is dismissal.
Dismissing people at first glance is a ridiculously common thing in this modern world and all it means is that some of the most fun people are discarded and left with much fewer options to form a relationship.

One thing about humans is that we're lazy.
It's so easy to be attracted to good looks, so quick and simple to look at somebody and like what you see.
If somebody has other great traits instead, you have to use this thing called "effort", and not many people like doing that.
PA then when i'm bored of the sex, dump her and find someone who has a sense of humour
Original post by RGYOU
Surely this is a joke, right?

I see it, what you did there
Ideally a mix of the two, but I'd prefer intellect over attractiveness/ sense of humour any day!
Original post by Lúcio

Agree with this.

Humour is very important to me, but I couldn't be with someone if I wasn't attracted to them. However I also couldn't be with someone if they were good looking but didn't have a similar sense of humour etc. Both are pretty important to me tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Precious Illusions
Agree with this.

Humour is very important to me, but I couldn't be with someone if I wasn't attracted to them. However I also couldn't be with someone if they were good looking but didn't have a similar sense of humour etc. Both are pretty important to me tbh.

wow, approved by Precious Illusions?
i'll take that :cool:

precisely - a successful relationship cannot be dependent on a single trait.
a variety of things are important; not solely looks, not solely humour.
i understand that people can "grow on you" but how many people persevere with somebody in the hope they might one day find them attractive?

a good relationship isn't all about looks, but let me tell you it's a whole lot easier if you have them.
most of my university friends in relationships met their SO on a night out; in many cases they spent the night together and something developed from there, turning from something casual in to something "real".
you can't tell me that somebody looking to pull on a night out is looking for a guy with humour more so than a guy with looks?

this is a component of what i study so i could rant on about it for a while, however i don't think anybody wants that :wink:
I definitely value humour when I'm looking for people to surround myself with, and then the difference being just a friend or more is how attractive I find them. Humour definitely bumps up my perception of how good looking they are though.
Original post by Lúcio
Oh I agree completely.
The biggest issue you have is dismissal.
Dismissing people at first glance is a ridiculously common thing in this modern world and all it means is that some of the most fun people are discarded and left with much fewer options to form a relationship.

One thing about humans is that we're lazy.
It's so easy to be attracted to good looks, so quick and simple to look at somebody and like what you see.
If somebody has other great traits instead, you have to use this thing called "effort", and not many people like doing that.

Well you don't think it's normal to assess and make assumptions about people upon first sight? It's perfectly natural. Just because I'm not immediately attracted to someone doesn't mean I wouldn't talk to them or something. But even still, you're going to have to be physically attracted to someone to be with them. Would you really "oh I love them but they're ugly"? Come on. So maybe you're not immediately physically attracted to them, ok, but then you talk to them, click well and start to like them. There's nothing wrong with that.
Well there has to be some physical attraction in the first place.

Like if we're choosing between a 10/10 and a 4/10, probably go with the 10 even if they were a bit boring (if I could get a 10/10 :moon:)

But if it was choosing between a 10 and a 7, and the 7 had a good sense of humour, then the 7.

Although... I don't think I'd be with anyone if it was just insanely hot person with no personality, and ugly nice person.
Lol humans suck, why are we so shallow
Reply 15
Well you don't think it's normal to assess and make assumptions about people upon first sight? It's perfectly natural. Just because I'm not immediately attracted to someone doesn't mean I wouldn't talk to them or something. But even still, you're going to have to be physically attracted to someone to be with them. Would you really "oh I love them but they're ugly"? Come on. So maybe you're not immediately physically attracted to them, ok, but then you talk to them, click well and start to like them. There's nothing wrong with that.

you misunderstand. my previous post was the recounting of behavioural fact, not my own opinion.
i never said anything was not "normal" or wrong, i merely said that it happens and stated the consequences.

i suppose the bias towards looks is instinctively expected for humans though.
vision is the sense we depend on the most, so naturally we would be greatly appreciative of things that are physically appealing.

if you want my opinion on the matter, i would say that it isn't fair.
it isn't fair that an funny and joyful person would often be cast aside without second glance because they aren't easy on the eye; rejected before they can even show themselves.
it isn't fair that a boring, lifeless person would nearly always get given a chance just because they're attractive.
but life isn't fair, we all know that.
Reply 16
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Lol humans suck, why are we so shallow

i explained that a little in my last post, although i could elaborate if you wish :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
you misunderstand. my previous post was the recounting of behavioural fact, not my own opinion.
i never said anything was not "normal" or wrong, i merely said that it happens and stated the consequences.

i suppose the bias towards looks is instinctively expected for humans though.
vision is the sense we depend on the most, so naturally we would be greatly appreciative of things that are physically appealing.

if you want my opinion on the matter, i would say that it isn't fair.
it isn't fair that an funny and joyful person would often be cast aside without second glance because they aren't easy on the eye; rejected before they can even show themselves.
it isn't fair that a boring, lifeless person would nearly always get given a chance just because they're attractive.
but life isn't fair, we all know that.

That makes sense. Though similarly maybe it's not fair that a more attractive person has to deal with constant stares and harassment
Original post by Lúcio
i explained that a little in my last post, although i could elaborate if you wish :smile:

It was more rhetorical, I feel I know the answer :tongue:
Reply 19
That makes sense. Though similarly maybe it's not fair that a more attractive person has to deal with constant stares and harassment

when it comes to being attractive, the perks definitely outweigh the drawbacks.
if you asked anybody whether they would rather be attractive or ugly, which do you think they would pick?

Original post by L'Evil Fish
It was more rhetorical, I feel I know the answer :tongue:

we all know the answer, it's just depressing to admit it :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest