The Student Room Group

i saw a 30 year old on tsr the other day????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by damoni
if I saw one at university, i'd assume they're one of the professors, I have to admit, but I don't find either weird, just a bit surprised that's all.

Some students already think I'm a prof. :tongue:
Reply 41
yes - clip was right, this is a social experiment, the point of it is to show people how you can come across ageist. even against people that bare barely into their thirties. yes, the quality of my social experiments have dwindled, but hopefully the point still stands.
I've spoken to at least two 50 year olds on tsr before, one was inquiring about their children's university application.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I've spoken to at least two 50 year olds on tsr before, one was inquiring about their children's university application.

And what was the other inquiring about, eh? :perv:
Btw OP:

you can be a student at any age, no?
There's this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9885954/Who-wants-a-sixtysomething-graduate.html and I remember a 65 year old bloke also graduating from Birkbeck.

Any other golden oldies?
Original post by Clip
Just....no.

Anyhow - what do you think is the bigger surprise - a 30 year old on TSR, or a 30 year old at university?

30, 40, 50, 60 year-olds at university are not surprising. I'm just intrigued with the stories the mature students have to say, and I value their input inside and outside of class.
I am 32...

Imho....all people born since the lste 70s are the same generation.
how would you think someone born in the 80s would remember what the 80s were like?? they were only just born then. i dont remember what the 90s were like!

you come across as a bit ageist tbf, even towards people who are not that old at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by jammy4041
30, 40, 50, 60 year-olds at university are not surprising. I'm just intrigued with the stories the mature students have to say, and I value their input inside and outside of class.

I used to think that, but not any more. I find a lot of mature students take themselves way too seriously and often severely underestimate the kids. I also find they can be a nuisance socially. Some of them act like inviting them on anything other than pure course stuff is like you're asking them on a tinder date.
Original post by Quantex
32 and still a student.

Although I've reached the stage where I find myself asking "why do they all where their caps back to front?" and "Yolo? Is that a type of biscuit?"

I'm at that stage at 22.
Original post by damoni
amazing. :0

if you were born in the eighties, you'd be in your thirties or late twenties :smile:

do you mind sharing what historic years like 2000 were like?

You weren't even around in the year 2000?

Dear god.
Original post by damoni
yes - clip was right, this is a social experiment, the point of it is to show people how you can come across ageist. even against people that bare barely into their thirties. yes, the quality of my social experiments have dwindled, but hopefully the point still stands.

Ah, the old "it was all a social experiement!" routine.

I'm watching you, damoni. If that even is your real name.
It's kind of hilarious how naive the OP is.

I'm 31 by the way. There are a fair number of us around, it really isn't something to be greatly shocked at.
Original post by damoni

if you were born in the eighties, you'd be in your thirties or late twenties :smile:

MID twenties. It's not late twenties until you're 29-and-a-half.

:shakecane:
Original post by Quantex
32 and still a student.

Although I've reached the stage where I find myself asking "why do they all where their caps back to front?" and "Yolo? Is that a type of biscuit?"

An age where you see this:

...and wonder why they're wearing their cap backwards. This is the correct direction to wear a cap:

Reply 56
I'd rather have more mature 30+ year old TSRians than annoying 10-14 year old TSRians.

I honestly don't see why the OP is shocked. One of my favourite TSRians is in their 30s. (They thought I was in my 20s at the start, but lol, I'm 18.)

As for mature students...my granny went to university in her 50s, as you do. I don't see a problem with that.
I'm no longer a student, signed up to this site in 2008 and stuck around for the banter.
I was born in the 80s and I am 25. I don't remember it at all because it was late 1989! I am doing a PhD, so still a student. I am probably one of the younger PhD students too!
Original post by damoni
i'm guessing some of you may even have children, blimey

Well half the 16yo people I know seem to have children these days, so to see people in their 30s with children is really no shock!

Quick Reply

Latest