The Student Room Group

Would you date a man 14-18 years older ?

A colleague of mine is in love with me and he's 46 and I'm 32.

I like the attention but the age gap is too much. Can this ever work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is only 14 years difference. That is nothing. You are both adults and if you fit each other's ideals and are very happy, there is no abuse of power, the relationship is loving etc then enjoy and support each other in your new found partnership. He is still young and hopefully passionate and in a good position to support and love you.

Sometimes the strange fit of 'looking for security' or 'needing a 'father' or 'mother' figure is the underpinning need in someone's life if the age gap is massive - it can be temporary so it depends on the win win returns for each person in that relationship. That relationship will last as long as it brings rewards for each person. No one can tell someone what their relationship should be like as each relationship is unique and personal. That is their private life no one else's. If someone has a 'bad' toxic relationship it is up to them to sort themself out and get out of it. But why should 'age' suddenly be a bar to a really happy loving relationship.

Where have you gained the notion that a large age gap is 'too much' or wrong? Why are you thinking 'can this ever work'? There are hundreds of relationships going where there are decades of difference in age. Why would you find this so unworkable? Get out there. Ask yourself what is attractive? Sex, money, personality, looks and know what you like. If you don't know by now you might never know, so just enjoy life together and see where the relationship takes you?
Original post by Muttly
This is only 14 years difference. That is nothing. You are both adults and if you fit each other's ideals and are very happy, there is no abuse of power, the relationship is loving etc then enjoy and support each other in your new found partnership. He is still young and hopefully passionate and in a good position to support and love you.

Sometimes the strange fit of 'looking for security' or 'needing a 'father' or 'mother' figure is the underpinning need in someone's life if the age gap is massive - it can be temporary so it depends on the win win returns for each person in that relationship. That relationship will last as long as it brings rewards for each person. No one can tell someone what their relationship should be like as each relationship is unique and personal. That is their private life no one else's. If someone has a 'bad' toxic relationship it is up to them to sort themself out and get out of it. But why should 'age' suddenly be a bar to a really happy loving relationship.

Where have you gained the notion that a large age gap is 'too much' or wrong? Why are you thinking 'can this ever work'? There are hundreds of relationships going where there are decades of difference in age. Why would you find this so unworkable? Get out there. Ask yourself what is attractive? Sex, money, personality, looks and know what you like. If you don't know by now you might never know, so just enjoy life together and see where the relationship takes you?

Because he will be 50 in 5 years and I will still be 37. Its indeed a huge gap for me.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
After 22 age is just a number, and age differences dont really mean anything. As long as you both like each other and get on I wouldnt get hung up on it. Plenty of people your age have relationships with big age gaps. David Tennant (10th Doctor Who) and his wife Georgia have a 13 year age gap. He felt "stupid" marrying her because of the age gap. Now they are still going and have 5 children. Im sure there are plenty more out in this world. Live your life and be happy.
If you want children then think even if you start now, he will be at retirement age just about the time your first reaches university age.It's not so much the age gap between you both but simply your children will be growing up with someone more of a grandparents age. Health starts to deteriorate and while that may not seem an issue now, the potential for stress and pressure on the relationship and family is there.

My mother had me late (she was 42) and died when I was still a teenager. Left a huge void in my life and my biggest regret is never having that reciprocal adult relationship.
Original post by uberteknik
If you want children then think even if you start now, he will be at retirement age just about the time your first reaches university age.It's not so much the age gap between you both but simply your children will be growing up with someone more of a grandparents age. Health starts to deteriorate and while that may not seem an issue now, the potential for stress and pressure on the relationship and family is there.

My mother had me late (she was 42) and died when I was still a teenager. Left a huge void in my life and my biggest regret is never having that reciprocal adult relationship.

So sorry for your loss bro💔❤️*🩹🪽🙏🏾🕊️ that sounds really tough🫂
Original post by OmiCronP8
After 22 age is just a number, and age differences dont really mean anything. As long as you both like each other and get on I wouldnt get hung up on it. Plenty of people your age have relationships with big age gaps. David Tennant (10th Doctor Who) and his wife Georgia have a 13 year age gap. He felt "stupid" marrying her because of the age gap. Now they are still going and have 5 children. Im sure there are plenty more out in this world. Live your life and be happy.

He had cancer 2 years ago and it was quite advanced. He's OK now though
Yes, I'm only attracted to guys older than me and date with a minimum 15 year age gap.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, I'm only attracted to guys older than me and date with a minimum 15 year age gap.

Wtf

He's 46
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
Because he will be 50 in 5 years and I will still be 37. Its indeed a huge gap for me.

Well Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas got married in 2000.... she was 30, he was 54 and almost 1/4 of century later, despite a blip last decade they're still very much together. They've got two kids as well

I think it's all down to the individuals involved and their respective personal preferences / boundaries. No one here knows you, so no one can tell you what's right / wrong for you. The only thing I'll say is you're both fully grown adults, and presuming you're both single, there's no harm in going on 1-2 dates with him and seeing how you feel, and whether you can look past the age thing.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Well Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas got married in 2000.... she was 30, he was 54 and almost 1/4 of century later, despite a blip last decade they're still very much together. They've got two kids as well

I think it's all down to the individuals involved and their respective personal preferences / boundaries. No one here knows you, so no one can tell you what's right / wrong for you. The only thing I'll say is you're both fully grown adults, and presuming you're both single, there's no harm in going on 1-2 dates with him and seeing how you feel, and whether you can look past the age thing.

She is a gold digger. Nobody in their right mind would marry at 50 year old when she's 30 unless he has a lot of money
Reply 11
A colleague of mine is in love with me and he's 46 and I'm 32.

I like the attention. Can this ever work?

The part in bold is why it won't work; he's in love with you, but not you with him.
Original post by Surnia
The part in bold is why it won't work; he's in love with you, but not you with him.

Yes because he's old that's why.
Reply 13

He's older than you, not 'old' per se.

If you have already decided it won't work between you, why waste time asking the question?
Original post by Surnia

If you have already decided it won't work between you, why waste time asking the question?

Are you serious?he will be 50 in 2026. I will be 35 in 2026. Its too much
Reply 15
Are you serious?he will be 50 in 2026. I will be 35 in 2026. Its too much

Then you have already made your decision. As @Surnia said, why waste time asking the question?

You just want him around for the attention and dopamine kicks you get when he contacts you, which is not fair to him.

Tell him you are not interested, move on and dont waste the guys time.
I have a suspicion that the 'colleague' label is false and that possibly (forgive me if I'm wrong) you are in an arranged marriage situation with a huge social and cultural pressure to conform?
Original post by uberteknik
I have a suspicion that the 'colleague' label is false and that possibly (forgive me if I'm wrong) you are in an arranged marriage situation with a huge social and cultural pressure to conform?

No I'm not. He's indeed a colleague

So? you're old. Most people on here are worring about school.
She is a gold digger. Nobody in their right mind would marry at 50 year old when she's 30 unless he has a lot of money

Well frankly, that's the kind of response I would expect form a 20 year old, not a 30 year old.

Look, if he's not for you, that's fair enough. Just make your excuses and knock him back. But the way you're going on about his age (like there's nothing else to him) is like some bizarre reverse age fetish.

One day you're going to be 50 yourself, ya know :eek:

Original post by Surnia

Agreed (PRSOM)

Original post by StriderHort
So? you're old. Most people on here are worring about school.

Owned :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending