The Student Room Group

Mature student (60). Not too late for career change…?

I’m 60 and going back to University . Never thought I’d ever…but here I am. I’m doing a BSc psychology course. Couldn’t get funding for the MSc due to upper age limit, still reeling over that but. I have an opportunity to work as a mental health practitioner for NHS. I currently work at University hospital Aintree Liverpool as a clerical officer. That’s the plan. Anyone else have a similar plan or thinking about returning to study?
Reply 1
Original post by 60yearsyoung777
I’m 60 and going back to University . Never thought I’d ever…but here I am. I’m doing a BSc psychology course. Couldn’t get funding for the MSc due to upper age limit, still reeling over that but. I have an opportunity to work as a mental health practitioner for NHS. I currently work at University hospital Aintree Liverpool as a clerical officer. That’s the plan. Anyone else have a similar plan or thinking about returning to study?

Respect, it's never too late to learn)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
I am trying to study for stuff as a mature student too. Hope it worked out
Well, a 95 year old graduated recently.
Original post by random_matt
Well, a 95 year old graduated recently.

Yes I saw that too.

Never too late, an opportunity wasted is more regretful than not! I know someone in their 60s studying occupational therapy & lots of people in their 50s too, you only live once 🙂 there are many mature students in uni too even if theres lots of 18 year olds in some cohorts, you will never be the only one changing your career
Original post by Idklolhelpme

Never too late, an opportunity wasted is more regretful than not! I know someone in their 60s studying occupational therapy & lots of people in their 50s too, you only live once 🙂 there are many mature students in uni too even if theres lots of 18 year olds in some cohorts, you will never be the only one changing your career

Thank you for that!!
Reply 7
I have an older relative who has also gone back to school and doing well with it. Never too late. Kudos to you'all💪🏾
Damn, that's insane. I admire your efforts. Here I am worrying about my friends doing masters before me. Silly me.
Reply 9

i find it more inspiring than anything. When i did access to HE there was a 60yr in my politics class and he was well read and very knowledgeable. My mum did her nursing degree at 40 as a widow with 5 children. she’s 55 now, has two pensions, planned her retirement and was recently promoted. i’m 29, pregnant and studying forensic psychology. The race is not for the swift, but who endures.
Reply 10

I am in my early 70s and looking into studying with the Open University and reading the student loans page it says there is no upper age limit and you are not means tested.

What is a Tuition Fee Loan?

A tuition fee loan will cover the entirety of your module tuition fees.

You’ll apply for a loan to fund your modules as you study them, which means you won’t have to finance your whole qualification upfront.

They are not 'means-tested', so you’ll be eligible to apply regardless of your income.

You can apply whether you have a job or not.

'There’s no upper age limit'.

You’ll apply for your loan from Student Finance England, who will pay your fees directly to us.

Am I missing something?
Original post by Kev_T

I am in my early 70s and looking into studying with the Open University and reading the student loans page it says there is no upper age limit and you are not means tested.

What is a Tuition Fee Loan?

A tuition fee loan will cover the entirety of your module tuition fees.

You’ll apply for a loan to fund your modules as you study them, which means you won’t have to finance your whole qualification upfront.

They are not 'means-tested', so you’ll be eligible to apply regardless of your income.

You can apply whether you have a job or not.

'There’s no upper age limit'.

You’ll apply for your loan from Student Finance England, who will pay your fees directly to us.

Am I missing something?

Hi Kev, thanks for your input. You’re correct there is no upper age limit on student finance apart from if you want to study an MSc. Then you have to be under 60 on the first day of your course. The upper age limit for MSc used to be 30 and due to public pressure it was raised to 60. I had to think again which direction I want to go in. Still pondering on it…
Reply 12
Hi Kev, thanks for your input. You’re correct there is no upper age limit on student finance apart from if you want to study an MSc. Then you have to be under 60 on the first day of your course. The upper age limit for MSc used to be 30 and due to public pressure it was raised to 60. I had to think again which direction I want to go in. Still pondering on it…

Thank you for that information. I will be looking into it in the near future.
Certainly not too late to do a new degree for a variety of reasons. That said at 60, with state pension age not too far off, when are you planning to retire and how long do you anticipate the career being?

I ask this not to discourage you but to understand the motivations to contextualise further advice :smile:

As to work as a clinical (or any kind of professional) psychologist in the UK, you need more than just the BPS accredited undergraduate degree - you then need to do a DClinPsy (or DEdPsy or a masters in forensic psychology etc as applicable to other kinds of professional psychologist roles), which itself is several years long (3 or 4 I think) and hugely competitive. Many psychology graduates need to take multiple years between their undergrad and entering the DClinPsy in order to get more clinical work experience, complete a masters (or multiple!) or even a PhD sometimes.

Hence, if your goal is primarily career oriented you may find you don't fully enter the career until at or even after when you would be hoping to retire.

Of course there is absolutely no reason not to do a degree for intellectual reasons, and there are other routes available to psychology graduates even who do want to work in mental health contexts such as counselling roles for example (although these may require some further training as well, albeit probably shorter routes to that) or various other mental health support type roles/crisis support roles in healthcare and charities; social work also has some intersection with those affected by mental health issues although it's a bit different I understand.

So there might be some longer term elements to consider but absolutely no reason you can't do (and do well!) this new course in the first instance :h:
Well it’s quite refreshing to have a response like this and thank you for that. Albeit totally honest, I have some reservations. I had an epitome of sorts when turning 60(as perhaps is normal for some ) and pondered retirement as a concept…thinking onward I decided to do some research regarding my interests and also considering my yearning/craving of knowledge. Mental health and now neurodivergence, the psychology of this has been my passion. Since my diagnosis of ADHD/AD last year I’ve got more interested in this field.
Hi. This is so encouraging I’m thinking of doing the same. I’m just not sure which degree to choose yet - psychology or business 😬. I’m also hoping to keep my existing part time (30 hours) time only job going too. Am I being totally unrealistic?

Quick Reply

Latest