The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The.Joker
Indeed. I can't wait till the match starts. :excited:

How are you feeling about it? I'm quite optimistic, as long as we are solid at the back and in midfield I think we can win. Chelsea will cause us problems but as long as we take our chances there's no reason why we can't get to Wembley.

i'm not optimistic at all, i never am for a chelsea game.
knowing that we MUST score, i would be disappointed if we didn't get a goal.

the issue is that we NEVER take our chances though.
we never give the finishing touch that a fantastic move deserves.
doesn't matter how awesome we can be to watch, football is all about goals and if you can do everything else but not score, you aren't gonna win matches.
Original post by Zerforax
Well he hadn't been playing much under Rodgers through last season and the start of this year.

I think his comment is more about how a strong relationship can be important - I don't think Rodgers' has really tried to build a strong relationship with Lucas. Imo he should be making him either captain or vice-captain with Gerrard going in the summer.

Logical sense having Henderson as skipper, and Lucas as vice-captain for me.

Don't think there are any other genuine candidates. How I long for the days when we had Gerrard, Carragher, Reina, Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano and Agger in one team. So many leaders.
Original post by Lúcio
i'm not optimistic at all, i never am for a chelsea game.
knowing that we MUST score, i would be disappointed if we didn't get a goal.

the issue is that we NEVER take our chances though.
we never give the finishing touch that a fantastic move deserves.
doesn't matter how awesome we can be to watch, football is all about goals and if you can do everything else but not score, you aren't gonna win matches.

Usually you're the optimistic one! :tongue:

We are the underdogs today and all the pressure is on Chelsea, I don't see why we can't win considering both teams will be attacking and trying to score. For all we know we might have only 2 shots on goal today and we take both those chances. The team no doubt will be ready and raring to try and get the win. Hopefully it's enjoyable to watch too.
Chelsea gonna Chelsea

Spoiler

Also if you dominate the possession yet still fail to win it'll say a lot about your current team, especially seeing as it'll be like the 10th time it's happened this season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Rumoured starting XI is the same as last week.
Usually you're the optimistic one! :tongue:

We are the underdogs today and all the pressure is on Chelsea, I don't see why we can't win considering both teams will be attacking and trying to score. For all we know we might have only 2 shots on goal today and we take both those chances. The team no doubt will be ready and raring to try and get the win. Hopefully it's enjoyable to watch too.

in games where we aren't the underdog, i normally try to focus on the things we can do rather than worry about the opposition.
however chelsea are stronger everywhere on the pitch and mourinho simply will not tolerate another loss.
maybe he isn't hard enough on his players in general, but they all know that failing to go through tonight would be embarrassing.

chelsea have the pressure and yes, sometimes it's easier to be the underdogs.
we'll be disappointed if we lose but i don't think anybody would be surprised.
i'll only be pissed off if we didn't deserve to lose or spurned a stupid amount of chances.

chelsea will attack so i expect them to target our right flank where we're most vulnerable.
rodgers surely must anticipate this and instruct our midfielders to be ready to support that side quite often tonight.

Original post by AR_95
Also if you dominate the possession yet still fail to win it'll say a lot about your club, especially seeing as it'll be like the 10th time it's happened this season.

like i said, it's what we do best.
dominate possession, create ample chances but fail to put the ball in the back of the net.
Indeed. I can't wait till the match starts. :excited:

How are you feeling about it? I'm quite optimistic, as long as we are solid at the back and in midfield I think we can win. Chelsea will cause us problems but as long as we take our chances there's no reason why we can't get to Wembley.

It's so 50/50 that I'm pretty relaxed. Hopefully it will just be a good entertaining game like last week. I wouldn't be surprised with any result at this moment in time. We're poor at the back, they're poor at the back. We've got pace up front, they've got pace up front. Man for man they're probably a better team but football is never that simple.

Costa red card so he misses the weekend would be delicious. Be funny of Chelsea's season started to crumble within the space of 11 days :colondollar:

Original post by Mackay
Logical sense having Henderson as skipper, and Lucas as vice-captain for me.

Don't think there are any other genuine candidates. How I long for the days when we had Gerrard, Carragher, Reina, Kuyt, Alonso, Mascherano and Agger in one team. So many leaders.

Probably since Henderson is more likely to play more games. Although I think Lucas is more consistent so you'd be less likely to drop him for poor form.

Out of that list I'd just say Carragher and Mascherano were vocal leaders.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord

Not surprising considering how well they did last week. I imagine Rodgers will tell then to come out of the traps quickly and try to shake Chelsea's confidence from the start.

I hope the ball bounces of Terry's face and he scores an own goal.

No surprises there.

You can't really make a case for Manquillo starting given his performance on Saturday, and Gerrard ahead of Lallana makes sense when you think of the enormity of the fixture.
Original post by Zerforax
I hope the ball bounces of Terry's face and he scores an own goal.

I hope he slips...
Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Lucas, Henderson, Moreno, Markovic, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling

Subs: Ward, Johnson, Lovren, Lambert, Lallana, Allen, Balotelli
liverpool have no chance
The bench is horrendous.

Allen and Johnson shouldn't be in the team, let alone on the bench.
The bench is horrendous.

But we spent all that money on depth
Balotelli to get the winning goal :cool:.
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Lucas, Henderson, Moreno, Markovic, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling

Poor bench with very few options. Only see Lallana coming on and making any sort of difference really.
Would lol so hard if Chelsea lost today. Knocked out of 2 competitions in a week would put pressure on Mourinho. Add in a loss to City this weekend and Chelsea will be having a mini crisis of confidence :coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't seen anything but a Chelsea win after the week they've had. Hoping we give it a good go, though. Come on the reds.
Original post by mr tim

the first team is as expected which is fair enough.
i didn't expect sturridge to even be on the bench anyway - media were playing it up as if he was gonna feature but i didn't see it.

the bench is pitiful - lallana is good to come on later but none of the others will make one bit of difference.
balotelli and lambert may be deemed "target men" but they don't have the pace/movement to keep up with the rest of the team.

all we can do is hope we have a weird game where we can actually finish.
The Chelsea XI suggests they're geared up to attack.
I really hope that Liverpool score first

Quick Reply

Latest