The Student Room Group

What to make of my AS mock grades

Hi guys,

I am taking Economics, ICT, Physics and Maths and I achieved AACC respectively in my mocks. In class, I have done very well in Maths and Physics, but struggled a bit more with Economics and ICT. This all changed come the exams as I found the Economics and ICT exams pretty simple, but I had difficulty with the Maths and Physics.

I am a bit concerned with my Maths as I continue to underperform. At GCSE I got a B, even though I was more than capable of an A/A*. The mock was only in C1, which I have found relatively straightforward, but placed in an exam situation I never seem to do so well. I'm always calm under pressure, but the questions always feel so much harder in the exam and I tend to make little slip ups. After the disappointment at GCSE, I am really determined to try to get an A, so what can I do to sort out these exam issues?

I have been right at the top of my year group for Physics and ended up one mark off a B which was the second highest in my year group. There were plenty of Es, Fs and Us so I feel that I've done well in comparison to others. However, I faced the same problem as in Maths as I was comfortably getting As when doing past papers, but dropped down to a C. I am a bit worried that I may not meet my full potential here too.

I've been wondering what I might achieve at the end of the year and I know that I have the ability to get AAAA. However, I've never felt that I've been able to nail an exam perfectly before - even at GCSE. Aside from hard work and practice, is there anything that I can do to sort this out and get AAAA?

I am not certain whether or not to continue to university, but I know that I will only go to university if I get top grades as I'm not from the wealthiest background. I don't intend to go to university just for the sake of it, but I know that I must go there if I am to achieve my full potential as a person. I would absolutely love to do something in the field of Physics or Engineering at a top university.

Thanks for any help. :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by MatOnMotors
Hi guys,

I am taking Economics, ICT, Physics and Maths and I achieved AACC respectively in my mocks. In class, I have done very well in Maths and Physics, but struggled a bit more with Economics and ICT. This all changed come the exams as I found the Economics and ICT exams pretty simple, but I had difficulty with the Maths and Physics.

I am a bit concerned with my Maths as I continue to underperform. At GCSE I got a B, even though I was more than capable of an A/A*. The mock was only in C1, which I have found relatively straightforward, but placed in an exam situation I never seem to do so well. I'm always calm under pressure, but the questions always feel so much harder in the exam and I tend to make little slip ups. After the disappointment at GCSE, I am really determined to try to get an A, so what can I do to sort out these exam issues?

I have been right at the top of my year group for Physics and ended up one mark off a B which was the second highest in my year group. There were plenty of Es, Fs and Us so I feel that I've done well in comparison to others. However, I faced the same problem as in Maths as I was comfortably getting As when doing past papers, but dropped down to a C. I am a bit worried that I may not meet my full potential here too.

I've been wondering what I might achieve at the end of the year and I know that I have the ability to get AAAA. However, I've never felt that I've been able to nail an exam perfectly before - even at GCSE. Aside from hard work and practice, is there anything that I can do to sort this out and get AAAA?

I am not certain whether or not to continue to university, but I know that I will only go to university if I get top grades as I'm not from the wealthiest background. I don't intend to go to university just for the sake of it, but I know that I must go there if I am to achieve my full potential as a person. I would absolutely love to do something in the field of Physics or Engineering at a top university.

Thanks for any help. :smile:

mocks are a poor marker for actual exam performance (in my opinion/experience) ... focus on doing past papers (there should be loads) after each one, identify anything you need to learn and learn it (flash cards + repetition is good for memorisation) ... if you find you're struggling with a certain type of maths question go to your textbook and do all of that type there is (using work-throughs/your teacher/other students for help if you need it). Then do another past paper - your grade will improve significantly if you do this - my aim would be to do as many past papers as you can (try saving some for just before the exam though) and you should be fine in getting the grade you want - just work hard and use repetition to learn how to do the questions! EDIT: Sorry I didn't read your whole post before posting - in all honesty hard work and practise is the best way!
(edited 9 years ago)
Keep practising those past papers and your marks should improve. You could try timing them to put ourself under a bit more pressure. C1 is a 'funny' module as you can almost over-think the questions and make them too complicated.

Some of my students have got engineering jobs in F1 and they haven't gone to RG unis! In fact, some employers actively seek students from the more industry based courses ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Keep practising those past papers and your marks should improve. You could try timing them to put ourself under a bit more pressure. C1 is a 'funny' module as you can almost over-think the questions and make them too complicated.

Some of my students have got engineering jobs in F1 and they haven't gone to RG unis! In fact, some employers actively seek students from the more industry based courses ...

Yeah, practice is always the answer with Maths it seems. The method that tdx suggested is something that I will definitely try as its also been suggested by my teacher. Just got to keep going over the questions and learn their technique. Its always stuff like forgetting the minus sign, or forgetting to find '+C' in integration. As you mentioned, it is probably a psycological thing with C1 as it is easy to over-complicate things. We've got another Maths mock in 2 weeks (as our class did so badly), plus a Physics test at the end of this week. I'll work hard to try to ace it! :smile:

Yeah, its interesting how uni degrees are becoming less valuable than a few years ago. Would be amazing to be an F1 engineer, especially since I'm a big F1 fan. For me personally, I see uni as somewhere where I can work to fulfil my potential. However, I see no point in going to uni just for the sake of it so I'll only consider going if I get the top grades. Going to be working hard to get them since the experience really appeals to me!
Oxford Brookes supply most F1 engineers - all teams took at least one student last year, one team took 20 - their engineering degrees need BBB.
Reply 6
Oxford Brookes supply most F1 engineers - all teams took at least one student last year, one team took 20 - their engineering degrees need BBB.

Yeah, since they are based right near a lot of the teams it seems logical. Something worth looking at for sure - thanks! :smile:
They also do Formula Student and I think they are the most successful UK team.

So keep working on those past papers!
Reply 8
They also do Formula Student and I think they are the most successful UK team.

So keep working on those past papers!

Yeah, it sounds very good indeed! Will keep working on them for sure... I'm coming to get you, Adrian Newey :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest